The 'Double Jeopardy' law Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The 'Double Jeopardy' law

Go down 
+3
Supernova
Alan Smithee
Chris
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

The 'Double Jeopardy' law Empty
PostSubject: The 'Double Jeopardy' law   The 'Double Jeopardy' law EmptyWed Mar 02, 2011 8:30 am

Should the Double Jeopardy rule (no one can be tried twice for the same offense) be abolished?
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Alan Smithee
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: The 'Double Jeopardy' law   The 'Double Jeopardy' law EmptyWed Mar 02, 2011 8:56 am

No. I'm not willing to give up my constitutional protection against repeated prosecution and harassment just because someone who is truly guilty may have literally gotten way with murder.
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

PostSubject: Re: The 'Double Jeopardy' law   The 'Double Jeopardy' law EmptyWed Mar 02, 2011 11:29 am

This really gets a bad rep on TV shows because like on Law and Order, they make it sound like you can't try a murderer again no matter what, not true. If you find new evidence proving they killed someone they CAN be tried again, and that's how it ought to be I think.
Back to top Go down
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

Rep : 326

PostSubject: Re: The 'Double Jeopardy' law   The 'Double Jeopardy' law EmptyWed Mar 02, 2011 12:28 pm

alan smithee wrote:
No. I'm not willing to give up my constitutional protection against repeated prosecution and harassment just because someone who is truly guilty may have literally gotten way with murder.
co-signs
Back to top Go down
TPP
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
TPP

Female
Rep : 69

PostSubject: Re: The 'Double Jeopardy' law   The 'Double Jeopardy' law EmptyWed Mar 02, 2011 12:56 pm

Nope. It was put in there for a reason. So many things that are in our Bill of Rights and Constitution seem antiquated now, but that's a failure of imagination on our part, I think.

Things that happened in the past, could always happen in the future, imo. That's why I'm not willing to let go of our right to bear arms either.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male

PostSubject: Re: The 'Double Jeopardy' law   The 'Double Jeopardy' law EmptyWed Mar 02, 2011 2:53 pm

Supernova wrote:
This really gets a bad rep on TV shows because like on Law and Order, they make it sound like you can't try a murderer again no matter what, not true. If you find new evidence proving they killed someone they CAN be tried again, and that's how it ought to be I think.

No, they can't. Not if the crime was a single act in one jurisdiction. It may be possible for someone to be prosecuted in Federal court after they are aquitted by a state. If someone is tried and acquitted of a single act, they can't be re-tried for the same crime even if new evidence is discovered that probably would have led to their conviction at their original trial. Separate punishments in multiple criminal prosecution are constitutionally permissible, however, if the punishments are not based upon the same offenses.
Back to top Go down
TPP
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
TPP

Female

PostSubject: Re: The 'Double Jeopardy' law   The 'Double Jeopardy' law EmptyWed Mar 02, 2011 3:58 pm

alan smithee wrote:
Supernova wrote:

No, they can't. Not if the crime was a single act in one jurisdiction. It may be possible for someone to be prosecuted in Federal court after they are aquitted by a state. If someone is tried and acquitted of a single act, they can't be re-tried for the same crime even if new evidence is discovered that probably would have led to their conviction at their original trial. Separate punishments in multiple criminal prosecution are constitutionally permissible, however, if the punishments are not based upon the same offenses.

So OJ is off the hook, I guess. (maybe he's innocent, I was having my 14th birthday party when he had that low speed chase so I have no idea...)
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

PostSubject: Re: The 'Double Jeopardy' law   The 'Double Jeopardy' law EmptyWed Mar 02, 2011 4:31 pm

thepossiblepolice wrote:

So OJ is off the hook, I guess. (maybe he's innocent, I was having my 14th birthday party when he had that low speed chase so I have no idea...)

June 17th, 1994, I would've only been 4 at that time and had NO idea whatsoever what the hell was going on, it was several years before I ever heard about that case.
Back to top Go down
TPP
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
TPP

Female

PostSubject: Re: The 'Double Jeopardy' law   The 'Double Jeopardy' law EmptyWed Mar 02, 2011 4:36 pm

Supernova wrote:
thepossiblepolice wrote:

June 17th, 1994, I would've only been 4 at that time and had NO idea whatsoever what the hell was going on, it was several years before I ever heard about that case.

I watched the whole trial, lol. I was babysitting and bored.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male

PostSubject: Re: The 'Double Jeopardy' law   The 'Double Jeopardy' law EmptyWed Mar 02, 2011 4:44 pm

To answer the question, yes, O.J. could admit to the murders and unless there was a way for the Feds to make a case, he wouldn't see the inside of a courtroom for that. But, if he had only been charged and acquitted for one of the murders, he could still be tried for the second.

PS – TPP, you didn’t see the whole trial. Just the parts that were telecast.
Back to top Go down
TPP
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
TPP

Female

PostSubject: Re: The 'Double Jeopardy' law   The 'Double Jeopardy' law EmptyWed Mar 02, 2011 5:07 pm

alan smithee wrote:
To answer the question, yes, O.J. could admit to the murders and unless there was a way for the Feds to make a case, he wouldn't see the inside of a courtroom for that. But, if he had only been charged and acquitted for one of the murders, he could still be tried for the second.

PS – TPP, you didn’t see the whole trial. Just the parts that were telecast.

That's true, of course! It seemed like the whole thing though, I swear I watched court tv for 7 hours a day and it was all OJ.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: The 'Double Jeopardy' law   The 'Double Jeopardy' law EmptyWed Mar 02, 2011 8:27 pm

Chris wrote:
Should the Double Jeopardy rule (no one can be tried twice for the same offense) be abolished?

Hell no.
Back to top Go down
Impact
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Impact

Male
Rep : 75

PostSubject: Re: The 'Double Jeopardy' law   The 'Double Jeopardy' law EmptyThu Mar 03, 2011 4:10 am

The Double Jeopardy law should stay as it is. Repealing it would only allow for overzealous and bitter prosecutors who lost to continue which hunting the acquitted accused at the public's expense. If a jury of the defendants peers got it wrong, then that's a shame. No one said the system is perfect or always right.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The 'Double Jeopardy' law   The 'Double Jeopardy' law Empty

Back to top Go down

The 'Double Jeopardy' law
Page 1 of 1