CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+2
Tony Marino
SecHandNews
6 posters

Is it too socially acceptable to get a divorce nowadays?

SecHandNews
    SecHandNews
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 7

Is it too socially acceptable to get a divorce nowadays? Empty Is it too socially acceptable to get a divorce nowadays?

Post by SecHandNews Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:01 am

Today's elder generation of seniors tended to stay with their spouse 'til death actually parted them. They were the one's who celebrated 50th and 60th anniversaries. Since probably around 1960, married couples have been divorcing at much more rapid rates because it's become that easy to decide that it was a mistake and to walk away. These days a couple that makes it a decade is considered exemplary. Do you think society should go back to frowning on divorce a little more than it does now?
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Is it too socially acceptable to get a divorce nowadays? Empty Re: Is it too socially acceptable to get a divorce nowadays?

Post by Tony Marino Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:17 am

Why should people stay together if they are unhappy with one another? I think sometimes marriages are happening too fast and then by the time you get to know more about that person, you realize you don't like them at all. I am all for living with someone for awhile, get to know them and then if the love is there, go for it.
    JM130ELM
    JM130ELM
    …is Necessary.
    …is Necessary.

Male
    Rep : 32

Is it too socially acceptable to get a divorce nowadays? Empty Re: Is it too socially acceptable to get a divorce nowadays?

Post by JM130ELM Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:32 pm

It should be harder to get married IMO. They should force couples to wait at least a year after applying for a marriage license and get couples evaluation from at least two psychiatrists before the ceremony takes place.
    Alden
    Alden
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 0

Post by Alden Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:19 am

JM130ELM wrote:It should be harder to get married IMO. They should force couples to wait at least a year after applying for a marriage license and get couples evaluation from at least two psychiatrists before the ceremony takes place.

Ridiculous. People should be allowed to get married at their own risk. If they stupidly enter into it and discover it was a mistake, then let them get a divorce. They're the one's who have to pay for it. Nobody else's business.

Far as the question goes... meh...

How many of those couple who're married 50 and 60 yrs. til death did them part were secretly miserable at various points in their marriage and probably wanted out?

I'm happy for anybody who's happy in their current situation. If they're not, then let them rectify it by either fixing it if they want to or ending it if they have to. The "sanctity of marriage" lies with the people in an individual marriage. Not for anybody else to scrutinize how deep their commitment is or should be.

My 2¢
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:35 pm

I think, like Tony said, marriages happen too fast. I see bride after bride that is so excited for the big wedding and not the marriage as a whole.

As far as it being too socially acceptable, I would have to say it isn't. There is still the farming out of who keeps which friends and all the awkwardness that accompanies divorce. I think it still stings the couple and those closest to them as much as it ever did. But, on the same note, the stigma of being a divorced person is less.
    Dan70
    Dan70
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 6

Post by Dan70 Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:00 pm

RedBedroom wrote:I think, like Tony said, marriages happen too fast. I see bride after bride that is so excited for the big wedding and not the marriage as a whole.

As far as it being too socially acceptable, I would have to say it isn't. There is still the farming out of who keeps which friends and all the awkwardness that accompanies divorce. I think it still stings the couple and those closest to them as much as it ever did. But, on the same note, the stigma of being a divorced person is less.

Bingo. Many women like playing the bride, while many men like playing the newlywed. After two years, when the "new" has faded, both realize that the entire thing was a charade.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 12:26 am