CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+4
RobbieFTW
Supernova
TPP
Marc™
8 posters

What's the Best Form of Child Discipline?

Poll

What's the Best Form of Child Discipline?

[ 1 ]
    What's the Best Form of Child Discipline? Bar_left50%What's the Best Form of Child Discipline? Bar_right [50%] 
    [ 0 ]
    What's the Best Form of Child Discipline? Bar_left0%What's the Best Form of Child Discipline? Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 1 ]
    What's the Best Form of Child Discipline? Bar_left50%What's the Best Form of Child Discipline? Bar_right [50%] 
    [ 0 ]
    What's the Best Form of Child Discipline? Bar_left0%What's the Best Form of Child Discipline? Bar_right [0%] 

Total Votes: 2
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

What's the Best Form of Child Discipline? Empty What's the Best Form of Child Discipline?

Post by Marc™ Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:58 pm

Praise
    Rather than completely relying on punitive forms of discipline
    when raising children, you should focus most of your disciplinary
    attention on praising good behavior. Children respond much better to
    positive reinforcement than to punishment.

Time Out
    A time out is a good form of discipline for misbehavior in younger children.
    Removing the child from the situation and giving him the chance to calm down creates a
    clean slate from which to continue the day. It also helps decrease
    misbehavior for the purpose of getting attention. When putting a child
    in time out, you should briefly state why the time out is happening and
    then not talk to him during the time out. At the end of the time out,
    you should remind him of the misbehavior, request an apology, end with
    a hug and not discuss the incident further.

Loss of Privileges
    With older children, loss of privileges is an effective form of discipline.
    If possible, the privileges that are lost should be related to the form
    of the misbehavior. For example, staying out past the agreed upon
    curfew can result in an earlier curfew for a week, or not turning off
    the television when asked can result in loss of TV privileges for the
    rest of the day.

Physical Discipline
    Physical discipline, also known as corporal punishment, is a hot topic
    in parenting debates, mostly because it can be misused, resulting in child abuse.
    When used appropriately in moderation, physical discipline, such as spankings or slapping the hand,
    can be very effective. The best situations for physical discipline are ones in which the child
    is grossly misbehaving, often in a way that puts her or others in immediate and serious danger.
    For example, if a child throws a large and hard toy near her siblings, an immediate slap on the
    hand will provide feedback that the behavior is unacceptable.
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 69

What's the Best Form of Child Discipline? Empty Re: What's the Best Form of Child Discipline?

Post by TPP Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:12 pm

A combination of the top three, lots of number one, a rare time out in children under 5, and after age five number three replaces number two.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

What's the Best Form of Child Discipline? Empty Re: What's the Best Form of Child Discipline?

Post by Supernova Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:40 pm

There's really no one great way to go about it, all kids are different, we were spanked and stood in the corner and both worked, looking back now though I would've rather taken a spanking than having to stand in the corner. We were pretty quick to get the message, you do something wrong, you're punished, you don't do it again.
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:53 pm

Depends on the personality of the kid and the severity of the eff up. If they can be reasoned with and show remorse for their eff up then do that. If the eff up was OTT and they were or still are being a little shit, the pop them. If taking away privileges works then do that. All depends on the sit. and the kid. But i gotta say i think "time out" is a joke after 4 years old.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:12 am

I agree with Robbie. I don't think that there is a universal method that works on all kids.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:20 pm

I agree it varies. It depends on the kids' age and personality. What works for one might enable another.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 62

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:28 pm

Beat 'em with a flail. smug
    2xy
    2xy
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 22

Post by 2xy Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:56 pm

"Discipline" comes from the word discipulus/discipula, which means "student" in Latin. Thus, to discipline means to teach.

What's described in the OP is punishment. Punishment may be useful for teaching, but I don't believe it's always necessary. I think if you do a good job with your kids, and/or are lucky, punishment shouldn't be something frequently needed.

I think the best form of discipline (teaching) is modeling good behavior in front of your children. Lead by example. Do as you say. Treat them with the same level of respect you expect from them.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 9:44 pm