CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+4
Shale
CeCe
TPP
GrayWolf
8 posters

Tattoos in the workplace

GrayWolf
    GrayWolf
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 36

Tattoos in the workplace Empty Tattoos in the workplace

Post by GrayWolf Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:36 am

A co-worker of mine is passionate about and defensive of his tats. When he hired in, he made no attempt to cover the tats he has on his arms or neck, and management at the time didn't make it an issue for him. Recently we got a new team of bosses and the current management is on his back to cover them up. When he refused, he was written up and sent home. We deal with the public and managements attitude is that the public is put off by tattoos, but it was never an issue before they came in. Do you think it's right for businesses to have an anti-tattoo attitude?
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 69

Tattoos in the workplace Empty Re: Tattoos in the workplace

Post by TPP Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:04 am

I think that it's fine for businesses to want tattoos covered, but that does suck for him that it's all of the sudden changing. This is why all of my tattoos are in places easily covered though.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:23 am

I think the way people hyperventilate over tats is ridiculous. I guess a business can do whatever it wants to do but seriously, it's just silly.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:33 am

thepossiblepolice wrote:I think that it's fine for businesses to want tattoos covered, but that does suck for him that it's all of the sudden changing. This is why all of my tattoos are in places easily covered though.
    co-signs

Yeah, I have tats and they are coverable by a short sleeved shirt and shorts. However many of my co-workers, mostly female have visible tats and no prob. It depends on the business - and some managers will overreact. They didn't get the memo that tats are not just for bikers and drunken sailors any more.

I've seen tats on breast feeding mamas.
    big grin
    jennab85
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 2

Post by jennab85 Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:12 pm

Tattoos to an extent have become more acceptable because people from different backgrounds have them. But there are still some people who don't like them at all and can't ignore them. I can understand that businesses have some of those people in mind when it comes to tattoo visibility. Maybe your friend could look into to see if the workplace had a policy about tattoos before he was hired.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:03 pm

I don't think a business should tell you you can't get tats....but I would hope you'd be smart enough to get them where you can cover them up if you have to.....esp if you work in corporate America or customer service (aside from call centers or telemarketing).
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:24 am

I think it depend son the business and the situation but it sucks that things have changed for your friend and he was hired under one set of rules and now they've changed. My brother has tattoos but they are easily covered if he wears a short-sleeved t-shirt. He did that on purpose so he could cover them when he wanted. For the most part, I don't have a problem with tattoos but I've seen some people that have so many it's gross. When more of you is tattooed than not, it's too much for me.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:28 pm

If he was hired with them, I feel it is very wrong for new managment to be on him about it.

For a new hire, I think that an employer has the right to decide what image they want to project, and to not hire due to ink.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 12:38 am