CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+5
RobbieFTW
CeCe
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
Alan Smithee
Chris
9 posters

Should marksmanship be taught in school?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Should marksmanship be taught in school? Empty Should marksmanship be taught in school?

Post by Chris Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:06 am

With the second amendment being the right to bear arms, and if you're not opposed to carrying a gun for protection, would you approve of it being taught in schools to kids?
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Should marksmanship be taught in school? Empty Re: Should marksmanship be taught in school?

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:08 am

When I was in 8th grade (maybe 6th or 7th) we were shooting arrows in gym class. That being said, no, I think there are better things to teach children in school. I'm all for having them learn about the 2nd Ammendment along with the other nine, though. Don't many schools already have metal detectors to keep guns out of schools?
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 62

Should marksmanship be taught in school? Empty Re: Should marksmanship be taught in school?

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:11 am

How about we work on penmanship first...
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:29 am

Rockbird wrote:How about we work on penmanship first...

Exactly. Or literacy. Basic math. There's a long list before marksmanship makes it to the top.
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:19 am

A pointless subject to spend money on teaching and producing a circ. for IMO.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:48 am

alan smithee wrote:... Don't many schools already have metal detectors to keep guns out of schools?

Some schools in metropolitan areas are fanatical about that. When I was modeling for art classes at the New World School of the Arts in Miami, I came in Western costume and one of my props was an unfireable shotgun. I found it in the trash. It had no trigger, no hammer. It was basically a wooden stock with a barrel but security would not allow me to bring it into the school because it was a 'gun.'

I think, as pointed out that there are more important subjects to learn other than archery and marksmanship. However, if they wanted extra-curricular clubs that were supervised to teach firearm or archery safety it would be a plus.

I had a target rifle when I was a teen.

Should marksmanship be taught in school? 1961mossbergriflescopepencildrawbyrobweb

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:02 am

I've actually mentioned this, though not too seriously, but if they think they're doing an accurate job in teaching kids about safe sex, and that's a matter of saving or losing a lot of lives in itself, then why don't they teach the kids how to use guns too since they think its their job to teach the kids everything because their parents are too stupid to know anything, and with the proper training wouldn't they be more likely to be responsible? eye roll
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:03 pm

I think it is a waste of money and not at all something that should be taught in school. Though it wouldn't hurt for a class to mention gun safety should they encounter a gun somewhere.

Archery is b.s. too. My son had it this year already. To me, that is something that a family should teach if they wish to.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:54 pm

Supernova wrote:... but if they think they're doing an accurate job in teaching kids about safe sex, and that's a matter of saving or losing a lot of lives in itself, then why don't they teach the kids how to use guns too ...
    Every teen can benefit from sex education since they all have either a penis or a vagina, loaded and ready for action. Not everyone has a firearm, hence it is a more selective education that should not be done on school teaching time.

Extra-curricular would be fine, such as Gun Club, Future Bikers Club, Christian Identity Club, Survivalist Club, etc.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:40 pm

Nah....I don't want my kids learning at school how to fire off guns.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 8:24 am