CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+8
Cheaps
Alan Smithee
Friendly Veteran
Shale
Nhaiyel
Tony Marino
RedBedroom
Chris
12 posters

Removing your shoes before entering a house?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Removing your shoes before entering a house? Empty Removing your shoes before entering a house?

Post by Chris Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:53 am

Is it rude to ask someone to remove their shoes when they come into your house?
    What is your preference, do you prefer people to remove their shoes before entering your home?
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Removing your shoes before entering a house? Empty Re: Removing your shoes before entering a house?

Post by RedBedroom Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:17 am

I don't think it is rude to ask and I do think it is very rude to not just do it automatically.

My son's uncle will come here with his family and NEVER take shoes off. That is ten feet all tracking in crap. And I am no longer allowed to suggest it to them because he gets all pissy and just stays in the doorway and only stays a short while.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Removing your shoes before entering a house? Empty Re: Removing your shoes before entering a house?

Post by Tony Marino Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:19 am

I don' t think its rude at all, especially if there is a rug or wood floors around. I usually remove my shoes when I go to someone's house, especially if it has been snowing or raining.
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:53 am

Their house, their say, I guess. I don't know if I would go so far as to have people take their shoes off as a general rule, but if your shoes look dirty, then I may have you check them at the door.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:56 am

It seems to be a custom in some places but where I was raised in Missouri suburbs and Mississippi, it was not unless you had muddy or snowy boots.

Here on Miami Beach I have noticed quite a few shoes outside apartment doors. (I thot it was 'cause they just smelled bad.) But it seems to be a custom in Latino cultures.

As for rudeness, it goes both ways - depending on which cultural practice one does. It would be rude to admonish a guest who does not come from that cultural practice and it would be rude to not follow suit if you see your host take their shoes off before entering.
    Friendly Veteran
    Friendly Veteran
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 10

Post by Friendly Veteran Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:01 pm

If I had that practice I would let people know that we do not wear shoes in the house so they know and make sure they are not embarrased by having socks with holes.

I think it is a neat practice. I lived in Korea a total of three years and got used to taking shoes off when entering homes.

You have a great day.
    Friendly Veteran
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:01 pm

I don't think it's rude to ask guests to take their shoes off but I have to disagree with Red cries that it's rude for a guest to not automatically do so (unless their shoes are obviously dirty or wet.) I don't know if you get Showtime, Red but on the series Shameless (set in Chicago!), Joan Cusack's character is a stickler for that LOL.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:01 pm

Chris wrote:Is it rude to ask someone to remove their shoes when they come into your house?
    What is your preference, do you prefer people to remove their shoes before entering your home?

i have a friends who just moved into new house last year before xmas, and thats one of their rules, and no i dont think its rude. they have really nice carpet and kinda live out of town, so lots of dirt out there.

as to where i live? only when its snowin/rainin do we leave shoes at our door, and ask guests to do the same
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:06 pm

alan smithee wrote:I don't think it's rude to ask guests to take their shoes off but I have to disagree with Red cries that it's rude for a guest to not automatically do so (unless their shoes are obviously dirty or wet.) I don't know if you get Showtime, Red but on the series Shameless (set in Chicago!), Joan Cusack's character is a stickler for that LOL.

The reason I just do it, and think it is the right thing, is because if I ask someone they may be too kind to tell me their preference. It will always stick in my mind the time that I visited a friend I had not seen in ages. My son was much younger and walked in before I asked about shoes, and when I asked, she said, no don't worry about it. They had all hardwood floors, and so, we left them on. It wasn't until we were leaving that I noticed they had a sign on the door (garage entry door) saying something about taking shoes off and also had a ceramic frog that was holding a little sign stating the same!

Oh, and I need to see if that show is online...I saw the first one and really liked it. But at that time I was just getting Show as a promo.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:25 pm

Chris wrote:Is it rude to ask someone to remove their shoes when they come into your house?

Absolutely not.

Yeah, I would. Unless your feet are funky. Then I implore that you keep them on. You ain't gonna have my house smelling like stale feet and sauerkraut.
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:57 am

I don't think it's rude and it wouldn't bother me to take my shoes off, so long as I could keep on my socks.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:40 am

I usually remove my shoes unless I'm told to keep them on.
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:03 pm

No, it's not rude to ask someone to take off their shoes. If it's what the homeowner/apartment-owner prefers, then they have a right to say it.

As for question #2, I honestly don't give a damn if people take off their shoes or not, unless of course they just stepped in horse maneur or something really offensive and extreme like that. I'm sorry, I just don't want my house looking or smelling like a stable.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 6:48 am