CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+5
Supernova
Alan Smithee
Shale
CeCe
MandyPerfumeGirl
9 posters

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger": True or false?

MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger": True or false? Empty "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger": True or false?

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Sun May 15, 2011 3:47 pm

Hi all,

I used to believe that this was true, but I don't believe that's necessarily the case anymore. I think going through hard times and traumas can make a person stronger, but I also think that, with other people, it can really break their soul beyond repair.

What do you think?
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger": True or false? Empty Re: "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger": True or false?

Post by CeCe Sun May 15, 2011 3:56 pm

To a degree..it's our experiences & how we react to them that make us who we are. Some people are crushed & can't recover. They cling to the past their entire life while others are able to overcome & become a better person for it.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger": True or false? Empty Re: "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger": True or false?

Post by Shale Sun May 15, 2011 4:16 pm

Fredrick Nietzsche was spouting some Germanic platitude when he came up with that one. It is a good axiom to make you dust yourself off and continue on life's course,

But never forget that:

What doesn't kill you ... still sucks.

Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sun May 15, 2011 5:44 pm

MandyPerfumeGirl wrote:Hi all,

I used to believe that this was true, but I don't believe that's necessarily the case anymore. I think going through hard times and traumas can make a person stronger, but I also think that, with other people, it can really break their soul beyond repair.
    What do you think?

Then it "killed" them. Sometimes you eat the bear. Sometimes the bear eats you.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sun May 15, 2011 5:55 pm

alan smithee wrote: ...Sometimes you eat the bear. Sometimes the bear eats you.
    And sometimes double entendres (intended or not) are too good to go unnoticed. overjoyed
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Sun May 15, 2011 8:00 pm

If the saying is true then before long we're going to be damn near invincible.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Sun May 15, 2011 10:23 pm

CeCe wrote:To a degree..it's our experiences & how we react to them that make us who we are. Some people are crushed & can't recover. They cling to the past their entire life while others are able to overcome & become a better person for it.

ITA with this so I guess the saying is true. Your experiences can shut you down and "kill" you, or you can find a way to rise above them and become stronger. I think that parts of you can be "killed" off, without the whole person shutting down, though. You might close yourself off to one area of your life, but not others, like love, if you've been burned.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Mon May 16, 2011 8:17 am

I agree for the most part.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Mon May 16, 2011 9:33 pm

I agree to a point. But not all of the things we go through ulitmately make us stronger. I am a glass half full type of person, so I always try to look for the life lesson in the bad stuff. But sometimes, it is more freeing to just say, "That sucked, glad it's over."
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Tue May 17, 2011 1:00 pm

I think it's true for the most part. Everyone's situation is different.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 12:45 pm