CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+6
Forgiveness Man
Alan Smithee
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
Supernova
CeCe
Chris
10 posters

How do you feel about courts making an 'example' out of the convicted?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

How do you feel about courts making an 'example' out of the convicted? Empty How do you feel about courts making an 'example' out of the convicted?

Post by Chris Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:16 am

From time to time, a judge will pass down a rather harsh (stiffer than usual) sentence to a dependent in an attempt to send a message. Do you think that this is ever warranted? Is it fair to use someone as an example?
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

How do you feel about courts making an 'example' out of the convicted? Empty Re: How do you feel about courts making an 'example' out of the convicted?

Post by CeCe Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:37 am

I think the punishment should fit the crime. I don't think someone should necessarily get an excessive sentence just as an "example" to others. But I do believe habitual offenders at some point should just be put in for life. If the door of the prison is revolving they might as well spare the public from the crimes & grief someone who is never going to figure it out.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

How do you feel about courts making an 'example' out of the convicted? Empty Re: How do you feel about courts making an 'example' out of the convicted?

Post by Supernova Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:11 am

On Snapped there was a woman who killed her father, cut off his penis and threw it away. Everybody thought he died from the blood loss, in fact he died accidentally because she put a towel in his mouth to shut him up and he choked on that. She did this because he had been sexually abusing her since she was four years old and she now had young nieces who would also be staying with him. The jury found her not guilty on the murder charge, guilty on a lesser charge, and the judge gave her like a 5 year prison sentence and I've always believed he was trying to make an example out of her and that it was complete bullshit to do that to her because she spared the world and other young girls a lot of trouble.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 62

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:41 am

Was it proven that he molested her?

Punishment should fit the crime. I have an issue with vigilantism unless it's warranted. If this man raped her, why would she let agree to having this man be around her kids anyway?
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:58 pm

Chris wrote:From time to time, a judge will pass down a rather harsh (stiffer than usual) sentence to a dependent in an attempt to send a message. Do you think that this is ever warranted? Is it fair to use someone as an example?

Eh, not so much as a deterrent to others but as CeCe said, the punishment should fit the crime. If they did something horrible I think they should get the max.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:05 pm

I can see both ways on it. But I feel punishment should fit the crime and we should avoid trying to make examples, but I am sure there are some rare cases it'd be appropriate.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:08 pm

Rockbird wrote:Was it proven that he molested her?

Punishment should fit the crime. I have an issue with vigilantism unless it's warranted. If this man raped her, why would she let agree to having this man be around her kids anyway?

Not her kids, her sisters' kids. And how could it be proven when she was in her 20s and he had been doing it to her since she was 4 years old?
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:29 pm

So, it was hearsay?
    DanaShelbyChancey
    DanaShelbyChancey
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Female
    Rep : 10

Post by DanaShelbyChancey Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:21 pm

Rockbird wrote:So, it was hearsay?

The victim saying it, someone directly involved, even if all others are dead or silent, that is not hearsay.

'Hearsay' is what was told to a third party, by one of those directly involved.

There are even exceptions to the hearsay rule.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:45 pm

CeCe wrote:I think the punishment should fit the crime. I don't think someone should necessarily get an excessive sentence just as an "example" to others. But I do believe habitual offenders at some point should just be put in for life. If the door of the prison is revolving they might as well spare the public from the crimes & grief someone who is never going to figure it out.

This.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:32 pm

I think the punishment should fit the crime but all too often, criminals get off with far less than they deserve.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:31 am

i can think of somebody who i WISH they made an example of out...

Last edited by cheaps on Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:32 am; edited 1 time in total
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:31 am

sorry double post
    DanaShelbyChancey
    DanaShelbyChancey
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Female

Post by DanaShelbyChancey Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:45 am

Perhaps it isn't the sentence for the crime that is held up as the example, but it is the amount of publicity the whole matter gets.

An excessive sentence isn't much of an example if no one knows about it.

Someone could do a crime and get convicted, but instead of disappearing into obscurity, they get lambasted in the press and on TV, that is the part that could be the 'example'.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:55 am

cheaps wrote:i can think of somebody who i WISH they made an example of out...

co-signs I think we've all known that asshole.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:35 am

CeCe wrote:

Ditto.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:38 am

DanaShelbyChancey wrote:
    Rockbird wrote:So, it was hearsay?

The victim saying it, someone directly involved, even if all others are dead or silent, that is not hearsay.

No, but it is speculation. I don't believe people just because they say something happened. Lots of people lie.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:47 am

Rockbird wrote:
    DanaShelbyChancey wrote:

No, but it is speculation. I don't believe people just because they say something happened. Lots of people lie.

Cutting off your father's penis and throwing it away is not a random thing, that is very personal, and why would she do it if there wasn't something sexual that happened to her? It was her equivalence of disarming him.
    DanaShelbyChancey
    DanaShelbyChancey
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Female

Post by DanaShelbyChancey Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:48 am

Rockbird wrote:
    DanaShelbyChancey wrote:

Sure they do. If you were on a jury, that would be one of your duties, to determine if you think the witness is lying.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:16 am

Supernova wrote:
    Rockbird wrote:

Cutting off your father's penis and throwing it away is not a random thing, that is very personal, and why would she do it if there wasn't something sexual that happened to her? It was her equivalence of disarming him.

Stranger things have happened. I'm not saying it didn't happen. I'm just not also saying it did. I need more evidence than the word of a woman who is clearly unstable.
    DanaShelbyChancey
    DanaShelbyChancey
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Female

Post by DanaShelbyChancey Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:53 am

CeCe wrote:

I am not sure who everyone means! Can someone enlighten me? I have ideas, but I am not sure.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:32 pm

DanaShelbyChancey wrote:
    CeCe wrote:

I am not sure who everyone means! Can someone enlighten me? I have ideas, but I am not sure.

It means we all know somebody like that.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 1:37 am