CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+2
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
Marc™
6 posters

Man robs bank to get medical care in jail

Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Man robs bank to get medical care in jail Empty Man robs bank to get medical care in jail

Post by Marc™ Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:47 am

Tue Jun 21, 10:36 am ET
    Man robs bank to get medical care in jail
    By Zachary Roth

Man robs bank to get medical care in jail James-Verone

Some people who need medical care but can't afford it go to the emergency room. Others just hope they'll get better. James Richard Verone robbed a bank.

Earlier this month, Verone (pictured), a 59-year-old convenience store clerk, walked into a Gastonia, N.C., bank and handed the cashier a note demanding $1 and medical attention. Then he waited calmly for police to show up.

He's now in jail and has an appointment with a doctor this week.

Verone's problems started when he lost the job he'd held for 17 years as a Coca Cola deliveryman, amid the economic downturn. He found new work driving a truck, but it didn't last. Eventually, he took a part-time position at the convenience store.

But Verone's body wasn't up to it. The bending and lifting made his back ache. He had problems with his left foot, making him limp. He also suffered from carpal tunnel syndrome and arthritis.

Then he noticed a protrusion on his chest. "The pain was beyond the tolerance that I could accept," Verone told the Gaston Gazette. "I kind of hit a brick wall with everything."

Verone knew he needed help--and he didn't want to be a burden on his sister and brothers. He applied for food stamps, but they weren't enough either.

So he hatched a plan. On June 9, he woke up, showered, ironed his shirt. He mailed a letter to the Gazette, listing the return address as the Gaston County Jail.

"When you receive this a bank robbery will have been committed by me," Verone wrote in the letter. "This robbery is being committed by me for one dollar. I am of sound mind but not so much sound body."

Then Verone hailed a cab to take him to the RBC Bank. Inside, he handed the teller his $1 robbery demand.

"I didn't have any fears," said Verone. "I told the teller that I would sit over here and wait for police."

The teller was so frightened that she had to be taken to the hospital to be checked out. Verone, meanwhile, was taken to jail, just as he'd planned it.

Because he only asked for $1, Verone was charged with larceny, not bank robbery. But he said that if his punishment isn't severe enough, he plans to tell the judge that he'll do it again. His $100,000 bond has been reduced to $2,000, but he says he doesn't plan to pay it.

In jail, Verone said he skips dinner to avoid too much contact with the other inmates. He's already seen some nurses and is scheduled to see a doctor on Friday. He said he's hoping to receive back and foot surgery, and get the protrusion on his chest treated. Then he plans to spend a few years in jail, before getting out in time to collect Social Security and move to the beach.

Verone also presented the view that if the United States had a health-care system which offered people more government support, he wouldn't have had to make the choice he did.

"If you don't have your health you don't have anything," Verone said.

The Affordable Care Act, President Obama's health-care overhaul passed by Congress last year, was designed to make it easier for Americans in situations like Verone's to get health insurance. But most of its provisions don't go into effect until 2014.

As it is, Verone said he thinks he chose the best of a bunch of bad options. "I picked jail."

(Photo: Ben Goff/The Gaston Gazette)

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110621/ts_yblog_thelookout/man-robs-bank-to-get-medical-care-in-jail
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 62

Man robs bank to get medical care in jail Empty Re: Man robs bank to get medical care in jail

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:01 am

It's clever. I'll give him that.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Man robs bank to get medical care in jail Empty Re: Man robs bank to get medical care in jail

Post by Alan Smithee Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:35 pm

I heard about this somewhere. It might be clever but it's also very sad. I kind of want to call Bullshit on the teller for her reaction.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:44 pm

Wow, pretty jaw dropping that he hatched such a plan, and such a a testimony to how sad it is in this country for all those needing medical attention, but can't get it.

Alan, my first response was calling b.s. on the teller. But, you never know...she may have lived in fear of being robbed, so when it kinda/sorta happened, it put her over the edge.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:03 pm

RedBedroom wrote:Wow, pretty jaw dropping that he hatched such a plan, and such a a testimony to how sad it is in this country for all those needing medical attention, but can't get it.

Alan, my first response was calling b.s. on the teller. But, you never know...she may have lived in fear of being robbed, so when it kinda/sorta happened, it put her over the edge.

That's always possible, Red but under the circumstances I still find it hard to believe. All he did was hand her a note demanding $1 and then told her he'll be "over there" waiting for the police. Most people would have thought it was a joke.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:34 pm

I think it's sadder that we've made prison so enticing. I'm sure some will use this as a chance to whine about more entitlements, but I think it's more a case to show how we basically reward criminals.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:08 pm

Maybe this country could afford better health care if we weren't busy hemorraging it out the ass into the third world.

Just a thought.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:05 pm

(Oh!) Rob Petrie wrote:Maybe this country could afford better health care if we weren't busy hemorraging it out the ass into the third world.

Just a thought.

Just a thought indeed.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:07 pm

*Pets head*
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:39 pm

Sad that he had to resort to that, but I totally understand where he's coming from. These types of stories are so no surprising anymore.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 5:46 am