CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+2
RedBedroom
Supernova
6 posters

Indiana schools stop teaching cursive

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

News Indiana schools stop teaching cursive

Post by Supernova Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:51 pm

http://dailycaller.com/2011/07/05/indiana-to-no-longer-teach-cursive-writing-in-schools/

There was a poll about it and I'm in with the other 60% of people who say schools SHOULD teach cursive writing.

Now this may be not a new statement but it seems to me bit by bit schools, even up to the 12th grade, are becoming nothing more than glorified baby sitters. Only 13% of students know American history as it is and it's been that way for a while, now they're saying computers are the only concern for communication now because sabes que cursive writing is a relic. Well I've been using cursive since I learned it back in the 3rd grade 14 years ago, to regress back to printing like a kindergartener makes no sense to me and I know that life and a need for communication and writing DOES exist outside of computers and text messaging. I could very easily see it someday becoming 'why teach kids to even print? They write everything on computers now'.

But somebody on a comments page made a point, kids learn cursive in 3rd or 4th grade, so if you spend the next 8 years ONLY writing everything on computers, when you're an adult and have to actually SIGN something, and it looks like it was done by a 6 year old, HOW impressed is your boss or whoever, going to be then?

Everybody else's thoughts?
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

News Re: Indiana schools stop teaching cursive

Post by RedBedroom Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:11 pm

That is terrible. They aren't selling me on the idea by saying the importance of keyboarding should take precedence. A kid knows cursive long before Jr. High. So, they have all of Jr. High and High School to fine tune their keyboarding skills.

What is sad is that parents won't teach the kids at home. What parent even knows the proper cursive after years of their own writing style coming through? Not me. I would teach my kid if I lived in that area, but I would have to look it up!
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:18 pm

RedBedroom wrote:That is terrible. They aren't selling me on the idea by saying the importance of keyboarding should take precedence. A kid knows cursive long before Jr. High. So, they have all of Jr. High and High School to fine tune their keyboarding skills.

What is sad is that parents won't teach the kids at home. What parent even knows the proper cursive after years of their own writing style coming through? Not me. I would teach my kid if I lived in that area, but I would have to look it up!

This is true, some might but most parents are NOT going to teach their kids at home, a lot of parents can't be bothered to teach their kids anything.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:32 pm

That's bad. Cursive should never stop being taught. You're going to be signing your name for the rest of your life.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:15 pm

Exactly, and for some people it's more than that. I handwrite every letter I send to Patch Adams, and of course, always cursive, and HE always writes cursive on the postcards he sends me; so you have to know how to read it as well as to write it yourself, and before I learned how to write it I could NOT read it. I'd get letters from my aunt and have to have my mom read them to me until I learned how to write and read cursive.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:24 pm

Supernova wrote:Exactly, and for some people it's more than that. I handwrite every letter I send to Patch Adams, and of course, always cursive, and HE always writes cursive on the postcards he sends me; so you have to know how to read it as well as to write it yourself, and before I learned how to write it I could NOT read it. I'd get letters from my aunt and have to have my mom read them to me until I learned how to write and read cursive.

I was just telling my son and his dad either Sunday or Monday that I know someone online that corresponds with Patch Adams. They were watching the movie in the morning and it was my son's first time seeing it.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:40 pm

I think it should still be taught. However are these kids going to function if they can't even sign their own name? What's goign to happen when they come across cursive writing> If I had a child in that school district, I'd pull my kids, as the schools clearly aren't capable of teaching them what is needed. Private schools look better and better all the time!!!
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:46 pm

TSJFan4Ever wrote:I think it should still be taught.
    However are these kids going to function if they can't even sign their own name? What's goign to happen when they come across cursive writing> If I had a child in that school district, I'd pull my kids, as the schools clearly aren't capable of teaching them what is needed. Private schools look better and better all the time!!!

Exactly, apparently it never occurs to some people that when you sign something it says both sign AND print for a reason and not print twice.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 62

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:28 pm

BRB SUICIDE
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee