CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+6
CeCe
Tony Marino
Cheaps
Alan Smithee
Nystyle709
Chris
10 posters

Do you buy regular unleaded or the premium?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Do you buy regular unleaded or the premium?  Empty Do you buy regular unleaded or the premium?

Post by Chris Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:59 am

When you're filling up your car, what kind of gas do you use: unleaded or premium?
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Do you buy regular unleaded or the premium?  Empty Re: Do you buy regular unleaded or the premium?

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:15 am

Premium. Always. Premium stays in your car longer.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Do you buy regular unleaded or the premium?  Empty Re: Do you buy regular unleaded or the premium?

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:34 am

Chris wrote:When you're filling up your car, what kind of gas do you use: unleaded or premium?

Technically Chris, premium is unleaded too. I use what the manufacturer recommends, 87 octane, i.e. "Regular". NY, I'm sure you have all sorts of empirical data to support using higher octane fuel in cars engineered for lower but I think it's actually a waste of money because it's unnecessary. The only difference I notice in my gas mileage is when they switch to the winter formula. Then my milwage goes down but not because of the octane rating.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:11 pm

unleaded... it's the cheapest.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:18 pm

cheaps wrote:unleaded... it's the cheapest.

It's ALL unleaded!
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:20 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:
    cheaps wrote:unleaded... it's the cheapest.

It's ALL unleaded!

O. I get the cheapest one then Smile
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:22 pm

Regular
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:03 pm

cheaps wrote:
    Alan Smithee wrote:

It's ALL unleaded!

O. I get the cheapest one then Smile

co-signs
    tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 37

Post by tmontyb Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:21 pm

I buy premium because I'm dumb when it comes to the mechanics of cars and because my var is a V-6, I'm afraid putting anything less my mess things up.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:08 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:
    Chris wrote:When you're filling up your car, what kind of gas do you use: unleaded or premium?

Technically Chris, premium is unleaded too. I use what the manufacturer recommends, 87 octane, i.e. "Regular". NY, I'm sure you have all sorts of empirical data to support using higher octane fuel in cars engineered for lower but I think it's actually a waste of money because it's unnecessary. The only difference I notice in my gas mileage is when they switch to the winter formula. Then my milwage goes down but not because of the octane rating.

I used to think the same thing. It's not unnecessary because it depends on the make and model of your car. For instance, I had a friend who bought a BMW. BMW M3 to be exact. BMW recommends that you burn premium fuel to utilize the maxium performance of the car. When gas prices started going up, he thought he could put regular in there to save money. Kept putting it in, his engine started knocking. Then the tranny started to act up, wasn't shifting as smooth as it used to. I've had older cars and I've gotten five to seven miles better gas mileage to the gallon by burning premium fuel. My current car requires it and I won't put in anything less. If your car doesn't require it, then you don't have to use it.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:39 pm

true. my mustang V6 says "Regular only" in the owner's manual. My V8 says "Premium only"

The only time i ever had any problem with the car caused by gas was when they turned to ethynol. My 96 V8 did not like the gas with ethynol and the engine light would go on and off until i used that tank and filled it with non-ethynol gas. Now, the law states that all gas contain 10% ethynol, so i guess im lucky i no longer have that car
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:50 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:
    Alan Smithee wrote:

Technically Chris, premium is unleaded too. I use what the manufacturer recommends, 87 octane, i.e. "Regular". NY, I'm sure you have all sorts of empirical data to support using higher octane fuel in cars engineered for lower but I think it's actually a waste of money because it's unnecessary. The only difference I notice in my gas mileage is when they switch to the winter formula. Then my mileage goes down but not because of the octane rating.

I used to think the same thing. It's not unnecessary because it depends on the make and model of your car. For instance, I had a friend who bought a BMW. BMW M3 to be exact. BMW recommends that you burn premium fuel to utilize the maximum performance of the car. When gas prices started going up, he thought he could put regular in there to save money. Kept putting it in, his engine started knocking. Then the tranny started to act up, wasn't shifting as smooth as it used to. I've had older cars and I've gotten five to seven miles better gas mileage to the gallon by burning premium fuel. My current car requires it and I won't put in anything less. If your car doesn't require it, then you don't have to use it.

I didn't say all cars run fine on "regular". I said use what the manufacturer recommends. If your owner's manual tells you to use a higher octane, you should do it by all means. I have used premium gas in an older car thinking it would perform better. It didn't.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:53 pm

Regular/unleaded.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:00 am

Regular. With gas prices the way they are, there's no way I'm paying more than I have to.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 9:57 pm