CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

2 posters

Captain America: The First Avenger

JWF
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 4

Captain America: The First Avenger  Empty Captain America: The First Avenger

Post by JWF Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:13 pm

This Captain doesn't have the usual superhero glamour or self-coolness. But he is a hero we can relate with. A begone hero. IMO...the movie will become a fan favorite and make Chris Evans (Captain America) a known name (been around for some 10 years). It's not the plot (been done before) that will entertain you as much as the character and look. BTW...great looking shield.

A guy from Brooklyn is rejected by the Army. The pre captain CGI look (Steve Rogers) is terrific. He meets Dr. Erskine (another terrific performance form Stanley Tucci) who will use his secret injection that transforms Steve from a skinny kid into someone we can believe in. Particularly his crusade against Red Skull (Hugo Weaving)

IMO...this is miles above anything you have seen this summer or spring. Thor, Green Lantern, etc are no competition

B (3 stars)

Jack

PS: Director Joe Johnson also did "The Rocketeer", another favorite of mine
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Captain America: The First Avenger  Empty Re: Captain America: The First Avenger

Post by Shale Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:31 am

Captain America: The First Avenger
    Movie Blurb by Shale
    July 22, 2011

Ya knew this was gonna be my first movie choice this weekend. While I never got into a lot of these "Avenger" comic characters in print, I sure am enjoying them onscreen.

Captain America: The First Avenger  74149_gal

Usually I mention with this type of PG-13 action flick that I do not see it as a 66-year-old man but as five 13-year-old boys. Well, this time I probably enjoyed this movie more than anyone younger because Captain America was a hero of World War II. (First appeared in comics in 1941)

Not that I was around in WWII, but my father and all my uncles were and I grew up on the styles and music of that era as seen in the movies on TV. So, it was familiar surroundings for me that may get lost on younger viewers.

As you may have seen in the trailers, Steve Rogers (CGI Chris Evans) is a 90-pound, sickly man who has good intentions and wants to join the army (as so many teenagers did in that war). He tries several different recruitment centers and keeps getting rejected.

Steve Rogers (4F)
    Captain America: The First Avenger  77861_gal

He is discovered by Dr. Abraham Erskine (Stanley Tucci) who sees it is his good heart that makes him an ideal candidate for the secret super soldier experiment. This is where we first meet Col. Chester Phillips (Tommy Lee Jones) the gruff combat vet who is in charge of training the super soldier recruits.

Steve Rogers (USDA Grade A Prime)
    Captain America: The First Avenger  70944_gal

Right out of the egg, Captain America gets to show off his abilities as he chases down a Nazi spy in NYC barefoot. With him all the way thru this transformation is Agent Peggy Carter (Hayley Atwell), who you know will fall for this sweet, naive hunk.

Agent Carter & Captain Rogers
    Captain America: The First Avenger  70943_gal

True to the war effort, this new prototype super soldier was not going to be wasted in combat but was sent around the country as Captain America selling War Bonds. When he is in Europe on a USO show he finally sees his true calling, especially when his hometown friend Bucky (Sebastian Stan) is captured behind enemy lines. Turns out it was not the Nazi's but a breakaway super armed paramilitary called HYDRA run by Johann Schmidt (Hugo Weaving) who becomes Red Skull.

Also involved in this war effort is Howard Stark (Dominic Cooper), Tony Stark's father and the Allies prime weapons maker.

Needless to say there are action scenes and even while watching in 2-D I could tell they were made for the 3-D version of this film.

I enjoyed the film and you know it is a prequel to The Avengers coming out next May. In fact, when the movie ends don't jump up - stay for the whole 7 minutes or so of end credits and you will see the trailer for that movie with Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson).
    JWF
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 4

Captain America: The First Avenger  Empty Re: Captain America: The First Avenger

Post by JWF Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:28 pm

For the fans that may not be aware of the Marvel Comics characters and history here's some background:

Captain America first appeared under Timely Comics in March 1941, which was the forerunner to Marvel Comics. What is interesting the US has yet to enter WWII. Sometime around 1963 Marvel Comics introduces "The Avengers", which includes many of their now famous characters (see below). Captain America later joins this group of super hero's. He merits the title "The First Avenger". Thus, the reference in the movie title.

Is "Captain America" a set-up for the May 4, 2012 release of "The Avengers"? Here's some of the returnee's:

Chris Evens----Captain America
    Robert Downey, Jr.-----Iron Man
    Chris Hemsworth---Thor
    Scarlett Johansson---Black Widow
    SL Jackson---Nick Fury
    Gwyneth Paltrow---Pepper Potts
    Lou Ferrigno---The Hulk

It appears the one important missing link is Ed Norton. Haven't seen a plot outline, so how it unfolds will be interesting.

Jack

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 8:49 am