CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+4
Suzi
Tony Marino
CeCe
Alan Smithee
8 posters

"This is your captain freaking"

Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

"This is your captain freaking" Empty "This is your captain freaking"

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:08 pm

I love some of the headlines in the NY Post (or maybe it was The Dailey News)

Two passengers aboard JetBlue Flight 191 recounted Wednesday the dramatic and bizarre situation of the plane's captain leaving the cockpit, acting erratically and eventually being subdued. JetBlue's CEO, meanwhile, said the captain was a "consummate professional."

The captain, identified as 49-year-old Clayton Osbon, "became increasingly agitated," passenger Tony Antolino told TODAY's Ann Curry, adding that several passengers grabbed the pilot, "tackled him to the ground" and sat on him.

The disoriented captain, since charged with interfering with a flight crew and now getting medical care, left the cockpit, tried to enter an occupied lavatory and then became increasingly agitated when he couldn't get back into the cockpit.

"The first thing I saw was the captain running down the aisle," passenger Laurie Dhue said on TODAY, adding he was "banging on the door, saying 'Let me in! Let me in!' " Dhue credited the "brave people on board" for handling the situation, saying it was "literally like a scene from a movie."

JetBlue CEO Dave Barger, also appearing on TODAY, told host Matt Lauer that he knew the captain personally and said there were no signs that pointed to the in-flight meltdown.

"It was a true team effort at 35,000 feet yesterday," Barger said of the response by passengers and crew.

Flight 191 was scheduled from John F. Kennedy Airport to Las Vegas, but was diverted to Amarillo, Texas.

On Tuesday, Antolino told NBC New York the captain began yelling about an unspecified threat linked to Iran, Iraq and Afghanistan. "They're going to take us down, they're taking us down, they're going to take us down. Say the Lord's prayer, say the Lord's prayer," the captain screamed, according to Antolino.

John Cox, an aviation safety consultant and former airline pilot, told the Associated Press that incidents in which pilots become mentally incapacitated during a flight are "pretty rare." He said he could only recall two or three other examples in the more than 40 years he has been following commercial aviation.

Airlines and the FAA strongly encourage pilots to assert themselves if they think safety is being jeopardized, even if it means contradicting a captain's orders, Cox said. Aviation safety experts have studied several cases where first officers deferred to more experienced captains with tragic results.

In-flight outbursts by airline crewmembers are rare, but they do happen.

Earlier this month, an American Airlines flight attendant was taken off a plane for rambling about 9/11 and her fears that the plane would crash. "I'm not responsible for this plane crashing," the crew member said over the public-address system, according to passengers. Passengers wrestled the flight attendant into a seat while the plane was grounded at Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport; the flight attendant was hospitalized.

In 2008, an Air Canada co-pilot was forcibly removed from a Toronto-to-London flight, restrained and sedated after having a mental breakdown on a flight.

The FAA is likely to review the unidentified captain's medical certificate — essentially a seal of approval that the pilot is healthy. All pilots working for scheduled airlines must have a first-class medical certificate. The certificates must be renewed every six months to a year, depending on the pilot's age. To receive the certificate, the pilot must receive a physical examination by an FAA-designated medical examiner that includes questions about pilot's psychological condition. Pilots are required to disclose all physical and psychological conditions and medications.

Passenger Charlie Restivo thought it was clear the pilot suffered a medical episode. "I don't think when he got up this morning that that's what he was intending to do," Restivo told the AP. "Unfortunately, I just think it happened to him."

http://todaytravel.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/28/10900248-passengers-recount-jetblue-captains-meltdown-ceo-calls-pilot-consummate-professional
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

"This is your captain freaking" Empty Re: "This is your captain freaking"

Post by CeCe Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:25 pm

That had to have scared the hell out of everyone on the plane.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:39 pm

So who landed the plane and what was wrong with the Pilot?
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Post by Suzi Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:39 pm

I assume the co-pilot landed the plane.

Is there something in the water? That's twice in the last month or so that an employee of an airlines went berserk.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:24 pm

This was in the paper today. LOL, it's funny and it's not funny. He just had a nervous breakdown. You're allowed.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:03 am

CeCe wrote:That had to have scared the hell out of everyone on the plane.

YUP!!

Crazy...and see, IF I were to ever decide to ever ride on a plane, some shit like will go down on my flight. BET! I will never fly.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:10 am

Cheaps wrote:

YUP!!

Crazy...and see, IF I were to ever decide to ever ride on a plane, some shit like will go down on my flight. BET! I will never fly.

Cheaps, dont' EVER watch that show called something like, "Why Planes Crash." My guy was watching a marathon of it one day and I will never fly in a jet with only one pilot again. I think the Embraer jet that I have taken several times to Chicago had just one pilot. Even in a short flight, it is really dangerous to think of a plane with only one pilot.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:35 pm

laughing
    I'm sorry, but as unnerving as that had to be for the passengers, I still laughed when I read it.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:33 pm

Cheaps wrote:

YUP!!

Cheaps, did you ever see that movie Rats on a Plane? big grin
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:01 pm

Cheaps wrote:

YUP!!

co-signs Me either. I'd get the pilot who loses his shit & the co-pilot who has an undiagnosed congenital defect that picked that day to appear. There's nowhere I need to go anyway lol
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female

Post by Cheaps Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:05 am

Alan Smithee wrote:

Cheaps, did you ever see that movie Rats on a Plane? big grin

"This is your captain freaking" Eww"This is your captain freaking" 256"This is your captain freaking" 1266631_o"This is your captain freaking" Th_tumblr_liqcpcvn4d1qeovp8
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female

Post by Cheaps Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:06 am

CeCe wrote:

co-signs Me either. I'd get the pilot who loses his shit & the co-pilot who has an undiagnosed congenital defect that picked that day to appear. There's nowhere I need to go anyway lol

I know right!
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:55 am

Cheaps wrote:

YUP!!

So you never plan on going anywhere?
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:59 am

CeCe wrote:

Guess I will never understand this derision over flying. You are more likely to die in your house and on the ground than you would in the air. The odds if anything like that scenario ever happening is too astronomical to NOT want to travel. Who wants to stay in the same place forever?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 7:15 pm