CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+4
Forgiveness Man
Hyacinth Girl
CeCe
Chris
8 posters

Is forcing religion on children a form of child abuse?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Is forcing religion on children a form of child abuse? Empty Is forcing religion on children a form of child abuse?

Post by Chris Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:56 am

I recently read 'The God Delusion' by professor Richard Dawkins of Oxford University.

Is forcing religion on children a form of child abuse? Richard+Dawkins+-+The+God+Delusion+-

In it, his clear view is that parents forcing their religious ideas and principals onto their children is a form of child abuse – similar to sexual abuse and violence – though often worse in that the effects can be more profound and long lasting.

He also had a view that religion is a form of “culturally transmitted” mental illness – and with his quote from Robert Pirsig - “When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion”

Does any one else here agree with the view that in a civilized society, there should be some limits placed on the extent to which adults can indoctrinate children with their own beliefs?
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Is forcing religion on children a form of child abuse? Empty Re: Is forcing religion on children a form of child abuse?

Post by CeCe Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:45 am

Tough question. I'm certainly no fan of organized religion. Kids are generally stuck with parental decisions until they're of legal age. I was dragged to church as a child. So whatever efforts were made didn't "take".

The main thing that bothers me is the hate & bigotry toward others that will be taught to them through a book written by men in a patriarchal time with the ideas & rules that were formed into a man made religion...which I believe ALL religions are man made. But does the government have the right to make laws to prevent parents from raising their kids as they see fit? That gets into a really gray area for me. When they're older they will have the right to make decisions for themselves. Until that time parents have the right to make reasonable decisions for their kids. They certainly do not have the right to deny medical care or do other harmful things in the name of religion. But to deny its existence in the lives of their children might be a governmental step too far as much as it pains me to say it.

Hyacinth Girl
    Hyacinth Girl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 70

Is forcing religion on children a form of child abuse? Empty Re: Is forcing religion on children a form of child abuse?

Post by Hyacinth Girl Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:53 am

I think parents should be allowed to instruct their children as they see fit, and give them the means by which to form their own opinions as they get older and gain more understanding of God or any topic for that matter.

It sounds to me like the author of that book is just another aethist who wants to kick God out of people's lives, and discredit those who believe. I'll bet if someone delved into his background, they'd find a whole bunch of hurt over the years, by misguided religious practices and other things that made him turn away from God. Misery loves company, and what better way to write a book, slamming God and religion, to

A. Make yourself feel better, and
    B. To try to get others to subscribe to your views.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:00 am

That guy is a zealot and more extreme than 90% of religious people are in their views. Child abuse my ass! I am sure he has no problem indoctrinating kids with his views. How anybody can say anything bad about religion and then go around and take this guy even remotely seriously is just blatant hypocrisy.

So no to implementing his crazy ideas; the guy's views are totally insane. People have a right to teach their kids their religion just like this guy has a right to teach his kids what he wants.(I pity them.) The kids will be able to decide when they grow up what they believe. Until then, it's the parent's job to teach them. The moment the government tries to follow this guy's advice, they've officially made a blatant bias of the separation of Church and State. (That will backfire.)
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:44 am

Religion? No.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:37 am

Wouldn't call it "child abuse"....but I don't like when people do it.
    I think religious freedom should be extended to kids too.
    Hyacinth Girl
    Hyacinth Girl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by Hyacinth Girl Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:55 am

Marc™ wrote:Wouldn't call it "child abuse"....but I don't like when people do it.
    I think religious freedom should be extended to kids too.

True, but you also have to instruct them on what they're going to make a decision on, so they can make an informed choice, and not just take what their parents believe as the final say on the matter, regardless of whether it is to believe or not to believe.

Children do not have the amount of life experience that adults do, just for the simple fact that they are young and haven't been around as long. Any topic, for that matter, not just religion, needs to be given to them as instruction so they can eventually think for themselves and make their own choices.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:07 pm

Child abuse? No. Not as long as the religous views of the parents don't lead to some other form of abuse. "I'm going to beat Satan out of you!" I out grew it. Others can too.
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by Jason B. Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:24 pm

I would consider it less about "child abuse" and more about "these are the rules of the house".

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 6:11 am