CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+2
Supernova
Chris
6 posters

Parents force ten year old to wear a sign proclaiming himself a thief.

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Parents force ten year old to wear a sign proclaiming himself a thief. Empty Parents force ten year old to wear a sign proclaiming himself a thief.

Post by Chris Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:22 pm

http://m.upi.com/m/story/UPI-42131314088200/

In Australia, a mother forced her young son to sit in public wearing Shrek ears and a sign proclaiming him to be a 'thief.' Witnesses said the boy, who appeared to be about 10 years old. He spent nearly an hour Sunday sitting near a water park wearing the ears and the sign while his family ate lunch nearby. 'Do not trust me. I will steal from you as I am a thief,' the boy's sign read.

Do you think this was a good punishment, or too much of a humiliating spectacle? If your child stole something, would you consider doing this?
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Parents force ten year old to wear a sign proclaiming himself a thief. Empty Re: Parents force ten year old to wear a sign proclaiming himself a thief.

Post by Supernova Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:38 pm

I think it depends on what he stole, and from whom.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Parents force ten year old to wear a sign proclaiming himself a thief. Empty Re: Parents force ten year old to wear a sign proclaiming himself a thief.

Post by RedBedroom Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:03 pm

Haven't some courts used this as a way to punish youth offenders? I know I read something about that, but can't find it online anywhere right now.

I don't know if I would do that personally for my son. I definitely wouldn't dream of it as punish for something he did for the first time. Maybe after he stole something, I would let him know that if there is a next time, I would do that. He would have to know prior that he has that coming if he messes up again.

I think it could do a lot of damage to a kid to be so humiliated like that. I wonder if it messes with self-esteem.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:36 pm

Don't know enough about it. The kid may really have sticky fingers and can't be trusted and the mother didn't want to resort to making him drink pepper sauce or he may have lifted a pack of gum once and she over reacted.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:39 pm

I think a more appropriate way to handle it would have the sign read "I stole" and list what he stole, concluding "I am a thief".
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:49 pm

Too much of a sideshow. If my kid stole something, I'd handle it at home.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:47 am

Impact wrote:Too much of a sideshow. If my kid stole something, I'd handle it at
    home.

co-signs
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:03 am

Impact wrote:Too much of a sideshow. If my kid stole something, I'd handle it at home.

What if they already tried that?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 2:25 am