CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+6
tmontyb
Alan Smithee
CeCe
Shale
Supernova
Chris
10 posters

The decline of the 'traditional' family.

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

The decline of the 'traditional' family. Empty The decline of the 'traditional' family.

Post by Chris Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:48 am

In your opinion, is the decline of the 'traditional' American family the biggest factor contributing to the decline of America?
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

The decline of the 'traditional' family. Empty Re: The decline of the 'traditional' family.

Post by Supernova Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:47 am

What is the traditional family? I know the NUCLEAR family is what consist of a mother, father and two children and the mother stays home with them, but what counts as traditional?
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

The decline of the 'traditional' family. Empty Re: The decline of the 'traditional' family.

Post by Shale Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:47 am

Supernova wrote:What is the traditional family? I know the NUCLEAR family is what consist of a mother, father and two children and the mother stays home with them, but what counts as traditional?

Yeah, like the Cleavers?

That is the American Mythos. What about a family with step parents and step siblings that I grew up with when the Cleaver and Nelson myths were running on TV. Divorce has been a tradition in my life and entertainment is finally catching up.

I see nothing wrong with having two daddies or two mommies or any combination of loving parents.

CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:04 am

No. The "traditional" or nuclear family was never realistic. As far as the decline of the country we can look to the corporations who run this country as the rich get richer & the middle class fades into oblivion.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:42 pm

CeCe wrote:No. The "traditional" or nuclear family was never realistic. As far as the decline of the country we can look to the corporations who run this country as the rich get richer & the middle class fades into oblivion.

co-signs
    tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 37

Post by tmontyb Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:54 pm

CeCe wrote:No. The "traditional" or nuclear family was never realistic. As far as the decline of the country we can look to the corporations who run this country as the rich get richer & the middle class fades into oblivion.

co-signs
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:49 pm

Supernova wrote:What is the traditional family? I know the NUCLEAR family is what consist of a mother, father and two children and the mother stays home with them, but what counts as traditional?

Just what you described. I don't, necessarily, buy into the glory of the 'traditional' nuclear family either -- however, many have and continue defend it's splendor, and argue that it's breakdown has created some kind of a destructive ripple effect in society. Just wanted to get people's takes on that attitude, and if they think that any social instability that exists today is linked to that.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:48 pm

Chris wrote:

Just what you described. I don't, necessarily, buy into the glory of the 'traditional' nuclear family either -- however, many have and continue defend it's splendor, and argue that it's breakdown has created some kind of a destructive ripple effect in society. Just wanted to get people's takes on that attitude, and if they think that any social instability that exists today is linked to that.
    It would take a very thoro study to pull together a link between social instability and the demise of the traditional nuclear family.

Here's a start of that study - All of Europe from the turn of the 20th Century thru the 1930s was primarily nuclear families with the father the head of household. Also all of Europe was very religious.

Would World War II be considered "social instability?"
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:31 pm

No.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:35 pm

I think it definitely has since "family" has basically been mangled to mean whatever people want it to mean. IMO, not only was the "traditional" family realistic but I think that, without it, the country is withering.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:28 pm

Forgiveness Man wrote:I think it definitely has since "family" has basically been mangled to mean whatever people want it to mean. IMO, not only was the "traditional" family realistic but I think that, without it, the country is withering.

One thing's for sure, there's more to gain from kids actually being raised by their own FAMILY instead of nannies, babysitters and daycares all their lives until they're practically just living at the school and only come home to eat and go to bed. I think that's a lot of the problem, a lot of kids growing up and their families just have no time for them because sabes que both parents have to have a career, have to make a living...it would seem one problem started when a family could no longer survive on the salary of only one working parent...true, more people feel their lives are fulfilled when they have a job and they work but that should not be taking over their whole lives and eating up all the time they have for their families.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:48 pm

My sister and her husband have three children (now grown, 20,22,24). Of all the boys' friends, none of the parents are still together but my sis/her hubby.

However, when my mom was a kid the "traditional" family was a multi-generational extended family type. Either way, now that kids are left as latchkey without supervision, and parents whore around selfishly, yes, society is declining.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:01 pm

wants2laugh wrote:...Either way, now that kids are left as latchkey without supervision, and parents whore around selfishly, yes, society is declining.
    Not all latchkey kids are that way because their parents are "whoring around."

Somehow on the economy of the '50s my dad was able to support a family of 4 on his paycheck alone, but that has not been the case in my working life. Both my wife and I had to work to make a living for our family. That is apparently the norm now.

Interestingly enuf, in one apartment where Jim and I were living in New Orleans our neighbor was a prostitute. She was able to take care of her elderly mother two young daughters and a teen son. I sorta picked up the role of mentor for the boy, who did know what his mother did at work each night. They were good ppl and I respected her for being a responsible mother and provider for her family.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:09 pm

We as a society are selfish and have many things today that we did not back in the 50s--both necessities and luxuries. In the 50s car insurance was no required (at least not here) as it is mandated today.

We now pay for:

cell phones
    internet
    sirius
    cable tv
    music
    movies
    computers
    our electric bills are outrages due to advances... etc etc

259,000 people last month canceled their comcast service due to the bad economy. we can't afford the way we are living and we are needing to go back to the extended families that the Irish, German, filipinos, latinos used to/still do live.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:09 am

wants2laugh wrote:We as a society are selfish and have many things today that we did not back in the 50s--both necessities and luxuries. In the 50s car insurance was no required (at least not here) as it is mandated today.

We now pay for:

cell phones
    internet
    sirius
    cable tv
    music
    movies
    computers
    our electric bills are outrages due to advances... etc etc

259,000 people last month canceled their comcast service due to the bad economy. we can't afford the way we are living and we are needing to go back to the extended families that the Irish, German, filipinos, latinos used to/still do live.

I have to agree about this...I read a few years back about a family that couldn't make it on $150,000 a year because they needed a huge house, an SUV that couldn't even fit into the garage, all the latest gadgets for everybody, and then in contrast there was another article about a college student who gets by on $12,000 a year. Even around here I see parents who are always buying new vehicle after new vehicle but they can't keep more than one day's worth of food in the fridge for their kids because they don't have the money.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:12 am

Oh! Almost forgot, also wanted to comment about the extended family thing...when I was in college we took classes on sociology and on one test it was revealed that the American Indians, who for so long DID do the extended families and they took care of their elders, have recently jumped on the bandwagon with everyone else who has stopped doing that...and I don't understand why. I asked my mother and her answer goes back hundreds of years to when our ancestors took the country away from them but the teacher said it's only been in recent times that they have stopped caring for their elderly and extended relatives, several hundred years ago is not recent, so if anybody could shed some light on this subject, I'd sure like to know what the reasoning is all of a sudden.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:24 am

You have to consider that the U.S. has changed demographically in just the last couple of generations. My grandfather had a farm and worked as a carpenter for money. All his brothers and sisters lived on farms as did my grandmothers siblings. None of his five sons pursued farming but moved away.

There was a big move to the cities during and after WWII and the small farm which was the norm before that pretty much disappeared. After the war, the big push was to the suburbs. So you have to factor in all sorts of shifts in family structure.

Ppl used to be born, lived and died on the same family farm. During that time extended family cared for young and old members - the burden was not put on just one person. In suburbia and urban homes it is more insular. So a simple thing like "the decline of the traditional family" has many, many social facets to it.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:47 am

I do not think at all that the changing dynamics of typical families has to do with the decline of anything. Having to pay over $200 to get antibiotics for a child with strep throat has to do with America's decline. Straighten out health care and middle class families will be able to start taking their kids in for medical care.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:02 pm

wants2laugh wrote:My sister and her husband have three children (now grown, 20,22,24). Of all the boys' friends, none of the parents are still together but my sis/her hubby.

However, when my mom was a kid the "traditional" family was a multi-generational extended family type. Either way, now that kids are left as latchkey without supervision, and parents whore around selfishly, yes, society is declining.

Is whoring around what you think latchkey kids parents are doing? LOL.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 11:02 am