CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+3
Tony Marino
CeCe
RedBedroom
7 posters

Do you think the decline in the economy could equate to more kitchen fires?

RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Question Do you think the decline in the economy could equate to more kitchen fires?

Post by RedBedroom Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:33 am

A while back, a local fireman was interviewed on the news. He said kitchen fires are on the rise because of the economy. The logic is the less money people have, the less they eat out, the more cooking they do at home, hence the fires.

I'm nobody to doubt a fireman, but I don't see how that could really have a major impact on the incidents of kitchen fires.

Thoughts?
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Question Re: Do you think the decline in the economy could equate to more kitchen fires?

Post by CeCe Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:41 am

I guess in a roundabout kind of way it makes sense but this is the first time I've heard that.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Question Re: Do you think the decline in the economy could equate to more kitchen fires?

Post by Tony Marino Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:19 am

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?????
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:28 am

Here is an article from 2009 from Delaware saying the same thing as our local guy did on the news.

Dover Fire Chief Sean Christiansen says a substantial increase in kitchen fires may be tied to the downturn in the economy because more people are cooking at home.

Christiansen said Wednesday that firefighters have already received 138 reports of kitchen fires compared to 136 in all of last year and 110 in 2007.

He said the fires happen when something cooking on the stove is left unattended and catches fire.

The chief says people should pay attention and if food is burning, they should turn down the heat, remove it from the heat or put a lid on it.

The most recent kitchen fire broke out Wednesday afternoon at an apartment complex.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:11 am

I would've thought the cause being more like arson to try collecting on insurance; of all the places in a house for a fire to break out where there aren't going to be so many questions asked, it's the kitchen.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:18 am

Supernova wrote:I would've thought the cause being more like arson to try collecting on insurance; of all the places in a house for a fire to break out where there aren't going to be so many questions asked, it's the kitchen.

But a kitchen fire is normally not a total loss and since there is smoke damage, and so much money involved in repairs, I don't think a kitchen fire would yield a gain on the claim.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:25 am

RedBedroom wrote:

But a kitchen fire is normally not a total loss and since there is smoke damage, and so much money involved in repairs, I don't think a kitchen fire would yield a gain on the claim.

I agree. Kitchen fires tend to be a little more confined. You just end up with a huge repair bill, an increase in premiums & maybe even a dropped policy. A fire that does that much damage has to have something to "catch" like rugs, drapes & bedding.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:23 pm

Shrugs (Oh well…) Supposedly there’s an increase in traffic fatalities on Tax day.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:36 pm

It's believable.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:42 am

So I guess that means less traffic accidents on the road, due to people not driving to work.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:11 am

Cheaps wrote:So I guess that means less traffic accidents on the road, due to people not driving to work.

Good point lol

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 12:00 pm