CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+4
Shale
Tony Marino
RobbieFTW
Chris
8 posters

Officials chase unconfirmed al-Qaida bomb plot

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Officials chase unconfirmed al-Qaida bomb plot Empty Officials chase unconfirmed al-Qaida bomb plot

Post by Chris Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:34 am

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20110908/us-terror-threat/

Officials chase unconfirmed al-Qaida bomb plot
    EILEEN SULLIVAN and KIMBERLY DOZIER | September 8, 2011 11:34 PM EST |

WASHINGTON — U.S. officials said Thursday they were investigating a credible but unconfirmed threat that al-Qaida was planning to use a car bomb to target bridges or tunnels in New York City or Washington to coincide with the 10th anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks, the first tip of an "active plot" around that date.

The Homeland Security Department said the threat is credible and specific but unconfirmed. The nation's terror alert level has not changed, but raising it was under consideration Thursday night.

Law enforcement officials were investigating three people who recently entered the U.S. The threat was received by the U.S. intelligence community late Wednesday night, officials said.

"There is specific, credible but unconfirmed threat information," said Janice Fedarcyk, the assistant director in charge of the FBI's New York division. "As we always do before important dates like the anniversary of 9/11, we will undoubtedly get more reporting in the coming days."

James McJunkin, the assistant FBI director in the Washington field office, said his agents weren't seeking any particular suspects.

"There's no named individual," he told reporters in a late-night news conference.

Security has been enhanced around the country in the weeks leading up to the 10th anniversary. Law enforcement officials have been wary, particularly after information gleaned from Osama bin Laden's compound in May indicated that al-Qaida had considered attacking the U.S. on the anniversary and other important dates.

The threat came in a single piece of information and was so specific – and came at such a time of already heightened alert – that it could not be ignored. The officials described the threat to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive security matters.

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg told reporters that police there were deploying additional resources around the city but that New Yorkers should go about their business as usual. The city's observance of the attacks will go on as planned, Bloomberg said.

The FBI and Homeland Security Department issued a joint intelligence bulletin Thursday night to law enforcement around the country urging them to maintain enhanced security and be on the lookout for suspicious activity.

District of Columbia Police Chief Cathy Lanier said that all police would be working 12-hour shifts indefinitely and that any cars parked in odd locations risked being towed.

President Barack Obama was briefed on the threat information Thursday morning and directed the counterterrorism community to redouble its efforts in response to the information, a White House official said.

White House officials said there were no plans to change Obama's travel schedule on Sunday in light of the threat. The president is scheduled to mark the 9/11 anniversary with stops at New York's ground zero, the Pentagon and Shanksville, Pa., where one of the hijacked planes crashed. He will also deliver remarks Sunday night at a memorial concert at the Kennedy Center in Washington.

Law enforcement officials are checking out all of the details included in the threat, said Rep. Peter King, R-N.Y.

"No need to panic," King said. "They have not been able to confirm it yet."

Thursday morning, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano told reporters that there was "a lot of chatter" around the anniversary of the attacks but that there was no information about a specific threat.
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Officials chase unconfirmed al-Qaida bomb plot Empty Re: Officials chase unconfirmed al-Qaida bomb plot

Post by RobbieFTW Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:34 am

Sounds to me like something you would expect to hear around the 10th anniversary of 9/11. Security is gonna be tighter than a virgin on that day so I aint all that worried about it really!
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Officials chase unconfirmed al-Qaida bomb plot Empty Re: Officials chase unconfirmed al-Qaida bomb plot

Post by Tony Marino Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:49 am

Funny how that announcement came on the heels of the President's speech last night.............

I have been through this before, I will survive.

No special security that I saw today.

Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:04 pm

Tony Marino wrote:...No special security that I saw today.

Maybe that's what made it special. Blue Cool
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:08 pm

Opa Shale wrote:

Maybe that's what made it special. Blue Cool

Usually Penn Station is flooded with Marines and Cops. There are usually swat teams all over the city too.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:24 pm

Nothing new. I will go on about my business as usual.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:38 pm

I heard this last night. It doesn't matter where you are. If you see something that you don't think is right, let the cops know.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:58 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:I heard this last night. It doesn't matter where you are. If you see something that you don't think is right, let the cops know.
    co-signs
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:45 am

I could see futile threats and exaggerated paranoia coming from years away when it came to the 10 anniversary of 9/11. Just use tomorrow as a reflection; enjoy your Sunday, steer clear of any government/federal buildings (which should be easy, considering that it is Sunday) and put off travel until the middle of next week, and everything should be smooth sailing.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 10:17 am