CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

3 posters

What was with Poe's fixation on bricking bodies in walls?

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

What was with Poe's fixation on bricking bodies in walls? Empty What was with Poe's fixation on bricking bodies in walls?

Post by Supernova Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:47 pm

The other night we we're watching Homicide: Life on the Street, and it's an episode where Munch is assigned a 10 year old case of a man bricked up alive inside a wall, which he finds out is similar to a story Edgar Allen Poe wrote. He never said which story, which annoyed me because there seem to be several, I have 3 books of Poe's stories and while I can't remember the names, 2 stories back to back involved a man being sealed up inside a wall, then you have the Black Cat in which he sealed a corpse up in a wall but that's more like the Tell-Tale Heart but I digress.

My mother says Poe must've done something like that himself, or wanted to, if he thought about it so much he wrote about it several times. I on the other hand wonder if he had been a witness to something like that and this was his way of getting it out what he had seen. Either way I don't think it's too likely, but I still wonder about it, anybody else have a guess?
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

What was with Poe's fixation on bricking bodies in walls? Empty Re: What was with Poe's fixation on bricking bodies in walls?

Post by Tony Marino Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:28 pm

Its just an Eerie way of disposing of someone knowing that life goes on around that wall and no one would know the secret it contains. Maybe he did wall up a few people.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

What was with Poe's fixation on bricking bodies in walls? Empty Re: What was with Poe's fixation on bricking bodies in walls?

Post by Shale Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:15 pm

It sold books to a public who was into the macabre. Sealing ppl in walls was the classic stuff of old castles in Europe - and possibly actually occured - but more importantly it made a good scary story.

Also there were more cases of discovered burials where the person was found to have been alive. Catatonics and narcoleptics should have really feared being buried alive in the days before embalming and good diagnostic techniques. So, that played on ppls fears.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:46 pm