CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+11
ph balanced
Bluesmama
CeCe
wants2laugh
Shale
Nystyle709
Verve
Alan Smithee
Forgiveness Man
Supernova
RobbieFTW
15 posters

Catholics vs. Baptists

RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Catholics vs. Baptists Empty Catholics vs. Baptists

Post by RobbieFTW Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:51 am

Could someone please tell me the major difference between Catholics and Baptists? Not looking to cause controversy here. Just wondering.

My family is actually Catholic but we are not fanatical and I dont go to church every Sunday. I have some family that is Muslim but I never personally participated in that. But I'm not at all connected to the Baptist religion and dont know much about them.

Thanks.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Catholics vs. Baptists Empty Re: Catholics vs. Baptists

Post by Supernova Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:02 am

I've never been to church. It's to my understanding that the Catholics got kind of a makeover some years back and don't do now the things they were notorious for back in my mother's time...but as for differences between them and Baptists...you know, I don't know much about them either, even though we're supposed to be Baptist, but I don't recall them having communion or going to the clergymen to ask forgiveness, I think the Catholics got a corner on that particular market, and all the saints, praying to the saints, praying to the pope, stuff like that, which I don't agree with but I'm like you, it's too late in the night to get in anything heated over this. And there are some that I don't know if this is a Catholic thing or just their thing, they think if you give enough money to the church it'll help people go to Heaven quicker, and others that think if YOU go to church in place of somebody else, then that will square things with God and those absent people. Again, more stuff I don't believe, and maybe today that stuff is 'what're you talking about? Nobody does that', not now maybe but they used to. Also, purgatory, I don't think anybody else goes for that idea but the Catholics.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:31 am

Supernova wrote:I've never been to church. It's to my understanding that the Catholics got kind of a makeover some years back and don't do now the things they were notorious for back in my mother's time...but as for differences between them and Baptists...you know, I don't know much about them either, even though we're supposed to be Baptist, but I don't recall them having communion or going to the clergymen to ask forgiveness, I think the Catholics got a corner on that particular market, and all the saints, praying to the saints, praying to the pope, stuff like that, which I don't agree with but I'm like you, it's too late in the night to get in anything heated over this. And there are some that I don't know if this is a Catholic thing or just their thing, they think if you give enough money to the church it'll help people go to Heaven quicker, and others that think if YOU go to church in place of somebody else, then that will square things with God and those absent people. Again, more stuff I don't believe, and maybe today that stuff is 'what're you talking about? Nobody does that', not now maybe but they used to. Also, purgatory, I don't think anybody else goes for that idea but the Catholics.

I've never met a Catholic who prays to the pope. lol (That's honestly a new one. I've never even met a Protestant before who claimed that. You are the first! big grin) It's really hard to take some Protestant complaints with Catholicsm seriously because so many don't even know WHAT the Catholic Church teaches. So many go on so many stereotypes or rumors about what the Church teaches, having never set foot inside a Catholic Church. Or they simplify church practices to the point where they don't even understand why the Church does it or misrepresent it altogether. If you're going to say something about a religion, at least know the religion. (For example, Catholics do not teach that giving money to the church gets people to heaven "quicker" or that you go to Church in place of somebody and have it count. And the Church never really got a "makeover." What you're probably referring to is simply a council that changed some of the disciplines of the Church, which aren't the same as teachings.)

It's really tough to say what "Baptists" believe because they aren't unified. I could go into one Baptist Church and they don't say the same things as the other Baptist church. Some primary differences may be the lack of the sacraments in Baptists and the lack of a central unified Church that stretches across the globe and centuries. People interpret the Bible based on what they think it means rather than having one consistent meaning.

We could probably go on all day with the difference. But again, these differences would likely be averages at best, because the Baptists aren't united. You'd likely have to compare to what each individual Baptist church believes to what The Catholic Church as a whole teaches. Smile
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:40 am

Catholics vs. Baptists

Damn, Robbie. I thought you meant there was going to be a cage match.
    Verve
    Verve
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 4

Post by Verve Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:41 am

A distinct difference between the Baptist faith and Catholicism (besides the Pope) is that, generally, Baptists believe in "the divinity of the Bible", meaning they believe that every word of the Bible is absolutely handed down by God. In Catholicism, it is recognized that many MEN wrote a lot of what is in the Bible. While they are considered "holy" men, not ALL of their words are absolutely handed down by God but accepted as "holy or divine wisdom". It all becomes a bit unfocused because each of the religions use a different "version" of the Bible. There are two versions. The King James version (used by most protestant religions and the official translation of the Church of England) and the Duay version (used in Catholicism which was the old Latin Vulgate version). There have since been other translations and versions.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:46 am

Verve wrote:A distinct difference between the Baptist faith and Catholicism (besides the Pope) is that, generally, Baptists believe in "the divinity of the Bible", meaning they believe that every word of the Bible is absolutely handed down by God. In Catholicism, it is recognized that many MEN wrote a lot of what is in the Bible. While they are considered "holy" men, not ALL of their words are absolutely handed down by God but accepted as "holy or divine wisdom". It all becomes a bit unfocused because each of the religions use a different "version" of the Bible. There are two versions. The King James version (used by most protestant religions and the official translation of the Church of England) and the Duay version (used in Catholicism which was the old Latin Vulgate version). There have since been other translations and versions.
    Even that is not true. The Catholics Church heavily emphasizes that every word of the Bible is divinely inspired, every word. big grin The Church may not live by a "Bible alone" philosophy but that doesn't mean that they don't consider every word of the Bible divinely inspired.

It's incorrect to say that there are two "versions." I understand where the concept comes from but it's still quite inaccurate.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:20 am

They're both Christian. It's the same shit. Just like Baptists, Methodists, Christians, Pentecostal, etc...all the same.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:56 am

From my experience attending Mass with friends growing up, the Catholic service seems more structured. In fact it was still being done worldwide in Latin when I was a kid, with lots of kneeling on cue of a little bell. Also, back then there was no meat eaten on Fridays - lots of macaroni & cheese or fish.

I was raised wishy-washy Baptist. (Ain't goin' to hell - I was baptised at 12) I quit going to church in my teens, when I thot myself an Atheist. There was too much hypocrisy around me with the Baptists - and too much intolerance of other religions being taught in Sunday School.

BTW, the Baptists do have a version of communion, called the Lord's Supper, where they eat pieces of broken crackers and drink grape juice. (Like Jesus didn't have real wine at the Last Supper yeah right - just one point of contention).
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:12 am

^^^^Some places still do it in Latin! big grin Mi padre loves the Latin. Wink

Baptized at 12 eh? See? There's on difference among Baptists right there. Many Baptists I've met don't require Baptism to avoid going to hell. Wink So right there, it's hard to really compare what "Baptists" believe to anything. Smile
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:16 pm

Forgiveness Man wrote:

I've never met a Catholic who prays to the pope. lol (That's honestly a new one. I've never even met a Protestant before who claimed that. You are the first! big grin) It's really hard to take some Protestant complaints with Catholicsm seriously because so many don't even know WHAT the Catholic Church teaches. So many go on so many stereotypes or rumors about what the Church teaches, having never set foot inside a Catholic Church. Or they simplify church practices to the point where they don't even understand why the Church does it or misrepresent it altogether. If you're going to say something about a religion, at least know the religion. (For example, Catholics do not teach that giving money to the church gets people to heaven "quicker" or that you go to Church in place of somebody and have it count. And the Church never really got a "makeover." What you're probably referring to is simply a council that changed some of the disciplines of the Church, which aren't the same as teachings.)

It's really tough to say what "Baptists" believe because they aren't unified. I could go into one Baptist Church and they don't say the same things as the other Baptist church. Some primary differences may be the lack of the sacraments in Baptists and the lack of a central unified Church that stretches across the globe and centuries. People interpret the Bible based on what they think it means rather than having one consistent meaning.

We could probably go on all day with the difference. But again, these differences would likely be averages at best, because the Baptists aren't united. You'd likely have to compare to what each individual Baptist church believes to what The Catholic Church as a whole teaches. Smile

Well if they don't, I would sure as hell like to know WHY is the Pope so popular? What do people see in him? He's just a man, a perverted old man that they drive around in a bullet proof bubble and let people stand in lines for hours to see him, for what purpose? He is not anymore capable of anything involving God than the next person is, but they sell him as being like a direct line to God or something.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:42 pm

Supernova wrote:

Well if they don't, I would sure as hell like to know WHY is the Pope so popular? What do people see in him? He's just a man, a perverted old man that they drive around in a bullet proof bubble and let people stand in lines for hours to see him, for what purpose? He is not anymore capable of anything involving God than the next person is, but they sell him as being like a direct line to God or something.

1. He rides around in a bullet-proof "bubble" so somebody doesn't take a shot at him. (Like they did at his predecessor.)

2. WHY is he so popular? WHY do you care? lol If he's nothing special, what difference is it if people like him or not?

3. He's so "popular" because he's believed to be BIBLICALLY given authority over Christ's Church on matters of faith and morals. There's a direct line of descendants between him and Peter, the man believed to be the first pope by Biblical means. If you don't believe, that's your choice. But it sure seems like people really like to speak on the Pope without knowing much about him or his intended role. I've heard so many people slam the pope and then say something that clearly shows they don't even know anything about the guy or the role. I'd love a good debate on the pope, but it's so hard to find somebody who actually can accurate state who the pope even is beyond the abstract.

And of course this is always going to turn into a referendum on the Church. Always does.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:57 pm

Catholics believe in venial sins (little white lie type of sins) and mortal sins (breaking the commandment type of sins). Each sacrament received gives you grace to counteract the sins. I always found this to be hysterical, like i should be keeping a scoreboard or something to make sure that i come out okay. Catholics, also have no problem with statues and religious relics. Most protestants that i have met believe that having statues, or even the crucifix as a opposed to a cross is idol worshipping and therefore breaking the commandments.

I do know of a baptist community where all sins are confessed infront of the congregation.... as one has also sinned against the community. A friend of mine got pregnant at 23 yrs old out of wedlock---was ex-communicated, and had to write a letter and read it in front of the whole congregation begging forgiveness of her sins, asking that the baby be accepted into the community and promising that she would marry ASAP to gain an acceptable father figure for the child! I kid u not... that's what she had to say!
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:02 pm

Catholics vs. Baptists

Alan Smithee wrote:Damn, Robbie. I thought you meant there was going to be a cage match.

It would have to be a 3-way because it couldn't be a real cage match without the pentecostals.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:33 pm

No snakes!
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Post by Bluesmama Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:45 pm

All Christian religions originated from Orthodox (Greek Orthodox is one of many Orthodox religions; Russian Orthodox is the same, but in their language). I do not believe the Orthodox "reports" to the Pope, nor do other Christian faiths besides Catholic.

There are many various differences between Catholic and other Christian faiths, like Baptists. I believe Catholicism is the only one that believes in purgatory. (My brother said that this is no longer taught in the church; whether it is or not, I'm one of those who does still strongly believe in it). Baptists have long been known as a Hell 'n' Damnation faith; one of my friends is one, and a few of our conversations get interesting.

Some churches baptize later; others much later, like the Amish (who baptize at 18 or older ~ and this is the way I believe it should be).

Catholicism recognizes saints; most other denominations don't.

Some religions have a very fundemental practice in dress, and not just the FLDS. I remember when Pentecostal women never cut their hair short, was often worn up in exaggerated hairdos, and their dresses were long and modest. We had a few when I was growing and the girls could not participate in PE (don't know about the boys). Catholicism never had dress codes.

Rituals differ. Practice in prayer differs. Rosaries are a Catholic thing, whereas many other religions pray and sing more, and have much longer services.

I was raised a Catholic but do not attend church. I left it when i got chastised for taking birth control pills, which is my biggest issue with the church. But I adhered to a lot of the Catholic teachings, mixed a lot with New Age'y beliefs. 'Guess you could say I have my own religion.

Last edited by Bluesmama on Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:57 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:No snakes!

Hey no fair!
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:32 pm

wants2laugh wrote:Catholics believe in venial sins (little white lie type of sins) and mortal sins (breaking the commandment type of sins). Each sacrament received gives you grace to counteract the sins. I always found this to be hysterical, like i should be keeping a scoreboard or something to make sure that i come out okay. Catholics, also have no problem with statues and religious relics. Most protestants that i have met believe that having statues, or even the crucifix as a opposed to a cross is idol worshipping and therefore breaking the commandments.

I do know of a baptist community where all sins are confessed infront of the congregation.... as one has also sinned against the community. A friend of mine got pregnant at 23 yrs old out of wedlock---was ex-communicated, and had to write a letter and read it in front of the whole congregation begging forgiveness of her sins, asking that the baby be accepted into the community and promising that she would marry ASAP to gain an acceptable father figure for the child! I kid u not... that's what she had to say!

That doesn't bother me so much but like praying to the saints, they're saints, they're not God, what can they do? Or praying to Mary, I never got that, it makes no sense.

And I wouldn't belong in any church that makes its members confess to the whole damn congregation either, uh uh, they don't need to know my business. That's between the Lord and myself, He already knows what I did, He don't need it to have 300 witnesses.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:51 pm

wants2laugh wrote:Catholics believe in venial sins (little white lie type of sins) and mortal sins (breaking the commandment type of sins). Each sacrament received gives you grace to counteract the sins. I always found this to be hysterical, like i should be keeping a scoreboard or something to make sure that i come out okay. Catholics, also have no problem with statues and religious relics. Most protestants that i have met believe that having statues, or even the crucifix as a opposed to a cross is idol worshipping and therefore breaking the commandments.

Venial sins are breaking the commandments too. Razz There's actually an official definition for Mortal Sin that I doubt most Protestants even know. FORGIVENESS MAN (Of course, for most Protestants, ALL sins would be venial by the Catholic definition once you got "saved." Wink )

I never did get the problem Protestants have with "statues." They carry around pictures of their kids. They'll have pictures of football stars and celebrities and singers. But statues are so wrong? What is a statue but a 3D picture? It's absurd, IMO. A Graven Image is an image you worship. If you don't worship the image, it's not idolatry. ANYTHING we have is an image. Heck, one could theoretically worship a tree. Does that make all trees idols? FORGIVENESS MAN (Although many Protestants DO make an exception for Christmastime when putting up their Nativity Scene. I've officially dubbed that the Pagi, for Protestant Approved Graven Images! big grin)

And the sacraments give grace to combat sin but it's no more a scoreboard than a healthy diet is. lol

Confessing in front of everybody eh? FORGIVENESS MAN And people got a problem with telling a priest. lol

@Bluesmama: Purgatory IS still very much taught in the Catholic Church. People make up a lot of assumptions about the Church that just are NOT true. FORGIVENESS MAN lol Teachings like Purgatory never will change. Disciplines may change like what you say at Mass or when you fast, but not doctrine. But yeah, Purgatory is still a Catholic teaching. But I guess some lukewarm priests who teach a more watered down homily every week might mislead some people.
    ph balanced
    ph balanced
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female

Post by ph balanced Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:09 pm

One big difference between Catholics is the length of services:

Mass is usually 1hr to 1hr30mins long(except here; Sunday mass ends @ 1130 after August. Don't wanna miss the game lolz)

Baptist services are usually 2hrs to 4hrs, depending on location(in my neck of the woods, anyways.)
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:32 pm

^^^^I think yours might be extra long on both ends. lol For one, the only regular Sunday Mass that I've attended that goes to 90 minutes is the Latin High Mass. FORGIVENESS MAN (Unless it's a Holiday or we have a really long homily or something, Mass is usually an hour.)

I've been to a lot of Protestant churches but not to their services. Still, I cannot imagine they'd run for 2-4 hours around here. So it must be a regional thing.
    ph balanced
    ph balanced
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female

Post by ph balanced Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:34 pm

Forgiveness Man wrote:^^^^I think yours might be extra long on both ends. lol For one, the only regular Sunday Mass that I've attended that goes to 90 minutes is the Latin High Mass. FORGIVENESS MAN (Unless it's a Holiday or we have a really long homily or something, Mass is usually an hour.)

I've been to a lot of Protestant churches but not to their services. Still, I cannot imagine they'd run for 2-4 hours around here. So it must be a regional thing.

They really love church down here
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:57 pm

ph balanced wrote:One big difference between Catholics is the length of services:

Mass is usually 1hr to 1hr30mins long(except here; Sunday mass ends @ 1130 after August. Don't wanna miss the game lolz)...

Now the mass I attended in the '60s was in Latin and there was a prescribed script. Priest could sing it slow or fast, and I was told that the popular ones went thru the ritual fast so ppl could get on their way.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:40 pm

ph balanced wrote:One big difference between Catholics is the length of services:

Mass is usually 1hr to 1hr30mins long(except here; Sunday mass ends @ 1130 after August. Don't wanna miss the game lolz)

Baptist services are usually 2hrs to 4hrs, depending on location(in my neck of the woods, anyways.)

I think they're all too long, ANY church we go by on Sunday, nobody's getting out until noon or 1, what the hell? Does nobody eat lunch on Sundays?
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Post by captainbryce Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:44 pm

Baptists essentially believe that you have to take every word of the bible as literal while disregarding all inconsistencies, contradictions, and illogical nonsense as your own individual failure to understand, while Catholics essentially believe that the Pope is a superior being and thus, the only person capable of deciphering God's complicated and inconsistent instructions (because the laymen are all stupid sinners). As such Catholics are able to pick and choose what parts of the bible are important and literal, while ignoring whatever is "inconvenient" for the church, while Baptists are constrained to accept being lost and confused as to why the bible doesn't make sense, but trusting that "faith" will compensate for their ignorance.

Baptists secretly believe that they are superior to Catholics because they aren't governed by a corrupt organization, while Catholics openly believe that they are superior than non-catholics because they have the largest, most "unified" organization. They both believe the equally retarded aspect of an immortal being creating a mortal version of himself then killing himself to "save" everyone else (even though most people in the world will never believe in him - like the billion or so Buddhists in China or the billion or so Hindus in India), and they both claim to be "Christians" even though the disciples of Christ were neither Baptist or Catholic), but beyond that, there isn't much in common.
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Post by Bluesmama Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:10 am

Supernova wrote:

I think they're all too long, ANY church we go by on Sunday, nobody's getting out until noon or 1, what the hell? Does nobody eat lunch on Sundays?

Any Catholic church in session you'd pass at noon is likely having its third (or so) service. When I was a kid there were 3 or 4 masses that morning, the first one starting at six. We always attended the 8:00 one and had breakfast at home afterwards.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 5:05 am