CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+7
Nystyle709
Impact
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
CeCe
Forgiveness Man
Shale
Chris
11 posters

Southern Baptists Have Fewest Baptisms Since The 1950s And Are Losing Members

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Southern Baptists Have Fewest Baptisms Since The 1950s And Are Losing Members Empty Southern Baptists Have Fewest Baptisms Since The 1950s And Are Losing Members

Post by Chris Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:23 am

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/12/southern-baptists-fewest-baptisms-since-1950s-losing-members_n_875472.html

Southern Baptists Have Fewest Baptisms Since The 1950s And Are Losing Members

Southern Baptists Have Fewest Baptisms Since The 1950s And Are Losing Members R-BAPTISM-large570
    First Posted: 06/12/11 10:29 AM ET Updated: 06/12/11 04:56 PM ET

Baptisms in the Southern Baptist Convention, the nation's largest Protestant denomination, have dipped to their lowest point in 60 years, according to a new report.

Last year, there were 332,321 baptisms in the church, which is 17,416 less than 2009, according to the report from Nashville-based LifeWay Christian Resources. There was only one baptism for every 48 Southern Baptists in the country in 2010. Sixty years ago, there one baptism per every 19 church members. In eight out of 10 years, the number of baptisms performed have declined.

Baptism statistics are an important measure of the church's vitality because -- unlike Catholics and other Protestants that baptize infants -- its members practice "believer's baptism," in which the person being baptized has to make an active choice to join the faith.

The church's highest year of baptisms was 1972, when there was 445,725, but baptisms have largely plateaued since the 1950s.

"I pray that all of us will see the urgency of the moment," said Thom Rainer, president and CEO of LifeWay, in a statement. "These latest numbers should be received with a broken spirit and a God-given determination to reach people for Christ."

The organization, which is affiliated with the Southern Baptist Convention, released its survey ahead of the church's annual national meeting, which will take place Tuesday and Wednesday in Phoenix.

LifeWay had more bad news for Southern Baptists.

Church attendance and Sunday school enrollment declined in 2010. Membership, currently 16.3-million, is down for the fourth year in a row.

Donations to missionary work are down too. The denomination's International Mission Board received $145.6 million during its annual drive last year -- almost $30 million shy of its goal. The number of missionaries, which was 5,656 in 2009, dropped to 5,000 last year.

The report has prompted some soul searching among Southern Baptist leaders.

"This report should break the heart of every Southern Baptist," wrote the Rev. Ted Traylor of Olive Baptist Church in Pensacola, Fla., on his blog. "It should have us on our faces, crying out for awakening… We need freshness. We need repentance. We need revival."

"For many people, they attend church as 'customers' of religious goods and services," said Ed Stetzer, vice president of research and ministry for LifeWay, in an interview with The Huffington Post. "To thrive, we need a lot less consumers and more co-laborers -- people who are showing and sharing the love of Christ with their neighbors."

Stetzer said he believes the decline can be attributed to less interest in evangelism and an aging Southern Baptist population that is having fewer children who are joining the denomination.

On the Southern Baptist blog Between The Times, Stetzer highlighted four areas where he believes the church needs to focus on order to grow: converting more people, planting more churches, developing young leaders and promoting diversity.

"We've been so Southern and so white for so long that the annual meetings look like a loaf of Wonder bread," Stetzer said. Black, Hispanic, Asian and other minority congregations make up 19 percent of Southern Baptist churches.

A major denominational restructuring that church leaders approved last year to funnel more funding to missions and church planting in order to gain new converts has shown mixed results, the report indicated.

While the worship attendance was down a fraction of a percent to 6.2 million in 2010, LifeWay did find an increase in the number of churches. There were 45,727 Southern Baptist churches last year, compared to 45,010 in 2009.

"I do find encouragement in the increase in the number of churches," Rainer said. "Hopefully a church-planting trend in our convention will lead to the gospel of Christ being shared with more people than ever before."
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Southern Baptists Have Fewest Baptisms Since The 1950s And Are Losing Members Empty Re: Southern Baptists Have Fewest Baptisms Since The 1950s And Are Losing Members

Post by Shale Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:28 am

Nice to see some good news for a change.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Southern Baptists Have Fewest Baptisms Since The 1950s And Are Losing Members Empty Re: Southern Baptists Have Fewest Baptisms Since The 1950s And Are Losing Members

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:29 am

lol
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:42 am

The old fundie farts are dying off & there are fewer sheeple willing to just blindly follow a fire & brimstone spewing shepherd. People are realizing they have functioning minds. About damn time.

Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:09 pm

CeCe wrote:People are realizing they have functioning minds.
    I disagree. America is still is sheepish as ever. They are just choosing to listen to different shepherds. America wouldn't know a functioning mind if it came up and bit them in the butt.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 62

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:11 pm

You're American. Wink
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:15 pm

(Oh!) Rob Petrie wrote:You're American. Wink
    Every rule has a few exceptions. Razz
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:20 pm

If there's any American in the world who is an exception, I seriously doubt that it's one who believes in fairy tales.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:22 pm

(Oh!) Rob Petrie wrote:If there's any American in the world who is an exception, I seriously doubt that it's one who believes in fairy tales.

So then you're excluding yourself from being an exception? Good to know.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:22 pm

What fairy tale do I believe in? =/

Aside from The Phantom Tollbooth; because that shit TOTALLY happened.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:23 pm

(Oh!) Rob Petrie wrote:What fairy tale do I believe in? =/

You called my beliefs a fairy tale, yet presented no evidence. I was merely returning the favor. Razz

Last edited by Forgiveness Man on Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:24 pm

...Hehe. If you read that SAME sentence... it works in my favor. Smile

"You called my beliefs a fairy tale based on no evidence."

Exactly. You have no evidence. big grin
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:27 pm

(Oh!) Rob Petrie wrote:Exactly. You have no evidence. big grin

Wrong. I PRESENTED no evidence. Doesn't mean I don't HAVE it. Wink

The point of my statement was that YOU don't have evidence. You just called my beliefs a fairy tale so I just did the same to you. So no, it doesn't work in your favor at all.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:28 pm

No, it still does based on grammar. Keep reading it. Smile The way the sentence is written works in my favor more than it does yours.

Also, where's your evidence? I'd loooooove to see it.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:30 pm

(Oh!) Rob Petrie wrote:No, it still does based on grammar. Keep reading it. Smile The way the sentence is written works in my favor more than it does yours.

Also, where's your evidence? I'd loooooove to see it.

People read what they want to in sentences. When they attack grammar, I call it defeat when they know the real point behind the post. Razz

Maybe I keep my evidence in the same place you put yours. Wink
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:31 pm

My belies are based in lack of evidence. That's the whole point. Duh.

Edit: also, we hijacked this thread. And that blows. But we can keep discussing this if you'd like. Just PM me. Smile
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:33 pm

(Oh!) Rob Petrie wrote:My belies are based in lack of evidence. That's the whole point. Duh.

Edit: also, we hijacked this thread. And that blows. But we can keep discussing this if you'd like. Just PM me. Smile

Your belies eh? Wink

Why would I PM you to talk about belies? FORGIVENESS MAN

Last edited by Forgiveness Man on Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:33 pm

If grammar is defeat, spelling is cowering in fear.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:36 pm

(Oh!) Rob Petrie wrote:If grammar is defeat, spelling is cowering in fear.

Not at all. I was merely showing you that you make typos too. Wink I have no need to fear you. Razz

Anyway, on topic. One denomination going down doesn't seem like news to me. All it tells me is that Protestants are just splitting up more.
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:28 pm

CeCe wrote:The old fundie farts are dying off & there are fewer sheeple willing to just blindly follow a fire & brimstone spewing shepherd. People are realizing they have functioning minds. About damn time.

co-signs Religion is losing its cultural mind control. By the time my kids have kids, I don't think organized will have much societal power left.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:07 pm

It was only a matter a time. They better learn to find a balance.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:11 pm

Impact wrote:
    CeCe wrote:The old fundie farts are dying off & there are fewer sheeple willing to just blindly follow a fire & brimstone spewing shepherd. People are realizing they have functioning minds. About damn time.

co-signs Religion is losing its cultural mind control. By the time my kids have kids, I don't think organized will have much societal power left.

Thank God! big grin
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:11 pm

I remember in 1997 when the Southern Baptists were raising hell because of the Gay Days at Disneyworld here in Florida. Their killjoy complaints didn't have much impact, except maybe make more ppl want to go for Gay Days.
    Southern Baptists Have Fewest Baptisms Since The 1950s And Are Losing Members Mickey10
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:06 pm

I think that fact the Rapture didn't occur on schedule may have something to do with it! Wink

If ALL organized religion was taxed out of existence the ENTIRE world would be a much better place to live for everyone, not just the wealthy. Organized religion is responsibl­e for more death and destructio­n than ANY and ALL wars that have ever been fought on the face of the earth.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:06 am

Their credo has been too exclusionary and judgemental.....and that's led to their downfall. I hope they've now learned their lesson and that going forward they become a religion that is more reasonable to most people. If not, they will disappear, and if they don't change they should do just that.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:40 pm