CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+4
Bluesmama
Tony Marino
CeCe
Supernova
8 posters

Nuns taking birth control

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Nuns taking birth control Empty Nuns taking birth control

Post by Supernova Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:33 pm

This was a side article on MSN, one of those things 'click here to see where' 'click here to see who allows it' 'click here to see etc. etc. etc', but putting the pieces together, get this one, it says nuns take birth control pills as prevention against cancer since they don't have children and thus have more periods. Excuse me, periods are uncomfortable and often inconvenient, but you're not going to tell me that they are the the new next thing that causes cancer. I don't buy it.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Nuns taking birth control Empty Re: Nuns taking birth control

Post by CeCe Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:07 pm

That's total Bullshit they're taken for the same reason as everyone else
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:13 pm

Naughty Naughty
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Post by Bluesmama Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:53 pm

I've never heard of being more prone to cancer if you don't have children. I don't buy it, either.

My sister-in-law used to be a custodian for a local home for nuns (Catholic School), and she found used condoms in their bedroom wastecans a few times. I believe most nuns stick to their oaths, but I'd find it impossible to believe that all of them do.

The birth control factor is one of the major issues I've had with the church. . and why I left it.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:56 pm

CeCe wrote:That's total Bullshit they're taken for the same reason as everyone else
    laughing

For the most part.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:02 pm

Tony Marino wrote:Naughty Naughty

No, human. big grin
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:14 pm

Probably just some liberal excuse by liberal nuns.

I got no problem with the anti-birth control thing. Birth control is one of the examples of conveniences replacing common sense in modern America. (And proof that too many are looking for a religion to tickle their ears instead of reveal truth.) Nuns have no need for it. While it's true that children can reduce cancer, birth control certainly isn't a substitute. lol If nuns are taking BC, they probably are being bad. With all the liberal control of many modern orders, not surprising.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:48 pm

It's ridiculous to expect a bunch of young women (and men) to go through life in abstinence. That shouldn't be a qualification for serving a church, in any other religion, pastors marry, reverends marry, preachers marry, if they can then there is no reason that priests and nuns can't either. The priests of the Bible were married and I believe had many children, so if it wasn't a sin for them, then that should be enough to tell people with any common sense that there is something really wrong with this picture.
    AtownPeep
    AtownPeep
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 39

Post by AtownPeep Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:55 am

Cancer, my foot. Sounds to me there are probably some randy priests sniffing around the nunnery.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:46 am

AtownPeep wrote:Cancer, my foot. Sounds to me there are probably some randy priests sniffing around the nunnery.

Yeah for once instead of around the alter boys.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:10 pm

Supernova wrote:It's ridiculous to expect a bunch of young women (and men) to go through life in abstinence. That shouldn't be a qualification for serving a church, in any other religion, pastors marry, reverends marry, preachers marry, if they can then there is no reason that priests and nuns can't either. The priests of the Bible were married and I believe had many children, so if it wasn't a sin for them, then that should be enough to tell people with any common sense that there is something really wrong with this picture.

That's your opinion. Most priests and nuns don't seem to have a problem with it. And either way, they know going in what they are getting into. And I say it's not ridiculous. Sex isn't essential like eating. People CAN live without it, and many DO.

And so what other religions marry. The Catholic Church doesn't and shouldn't base it's decisions on what other religions do. And if we're going by the Bible, we've never once seen a Christian priest get married. The best we got is a priest who was already married when he became a priest. (Something the Church can allow) But even then, these men weren't concerned with sex once they got their priestly duties. They traveled the world, spreading the good news, getting themselves executed. (John and Paul don't seem to have married either.) There's plenty of reason why celibacy is required.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with it and there is absolutely no proof that there is. The idea that the fraction of a percent of priests who've molested kids wouldn't have done so if they had a woman is absolutely nonsense. (As evidenced by the married men who've done it in every other profession.) If people got a problem with celibacy in the Catholic religious life, then by gosh just don't enter into it. The fact that people get so hissy about the restrictions placed on people that don't have the remotest effect on them, THAT is what should give people pause. Why is it people care so much if Sister Melissa can have sex or not? Not only non-religious, but non-Catholics, and even non-Christians think it's so cruel that priests and nuns can't marry and have sex. Maybe people gotta freaking worry about their own problems instead of trying to tell a religion they're not even part of what to do.

Yes, I'm being a bit harsh but it's just so tiring to hear people whine about a religion's rules for a group of people that none of these people are a part of.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:41 pm

Forgiveness Man wrote:
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with it and there is absolutely no proof that there is. The idea that the fraction of a percent of priests who've molested kids wouldn't have done so if they had a woman is absolutely nonsense. (As evidenced by the married men who've done it in every other profession.) If people got a problem with celibacy in the Catholic religious life, then by gosh just don't enter into it. The fact that people get so hissy about the restrictions placed on people that don't have the remotest effect on them, THAT is what should give people pause. Why is it people care so much if Sister Melissa can have sex or not? Not only non-religious, but non-Catholics, and even non-Christians think it's so cruel that priests and nuns can't marry and have sex. Maybe people gotta freaking worry about their own problems instead of trying to tell a religion they're not even part of what to do.

Yes, I'm being a bit harsh but it's just so tiring to hear people whine about a religion's rules for a group of people that none of these people are a part of.

Oh the irony lol
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:51 pm

i could understand regulating periods, diminishing cramps--- MANY women use birth control for just that reason. My friend has her tubes tied, yet as she got older her hormones went nuts and periods were coming twice a month with severe cramping.

Techinically, the hormones given to women as they age and go into menopause are BC also... they are the same hormones of progestrone and estrogen, the pills just arent called birth control, they call them hormone replacement.

So without having read the article I am not going to jump to the conclusion that nuns are jumping from bed to bed.... even the article could be wrong/slanted.

Believe me, the nuns that I grew up with weren't getting any!!! They needed to tho lol

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:19 pm

Forgiveness Man wrote:

That's your opinion. Most priests and nuns don't seem to have a problem with it. And either way, they know going in what they are getting into. And I say it's not ridiculous. Sex isn't essential like eating. People CAN live without it, and many DO.

And so what other religions marry. The Catholic Church doesn't and shouldn't base it's decisions on what other religions do. And if we're going by the Bible, we've never once seen a Christian priest get married. The best we got is a priest who was already married when he became a priest. (Something the Church can allow) But even then, these men weren't concerned with sex once they got their priestly duties. They traveled the world, spreading the good news, getting themselves executed. (John and Paul don't seem to have married either.) There's plenty of reason why celibacy is required.

We can't assume most nuns and priests have no problem with it since if they ARE having sex they are NOT going to go broadcasting it but will act as before and keep their heads down and keep quiet about the matters so as not to draw any attention to themselves and get thrown out of the convent.

And people CAN live without sex but life cannot go on without it because that's how babies enter the world and keep the population from dying out. And God created people with the ability TO reproduce and He created people with the parts necessary to make sex enjoyable also so it's not like people who don't are anymore holy than people who do. Contrary to popular belief, original sin has nothing to do with sex.

And the whole line of what does and doesn't concern others is a very bumpy road, after all how are WE personally affected by the third world rules women in Afghanistan are forced to comply with? In America where we're liberated, it doesn't affect us as we aren't forced to marry our rapists because our rapes are considered infidelity, but we still concern ourselves with that matter because we know it's not right. If there was a religion that said burn your children every time they talk, and the officials of it said 'it's not your business so leave us to follow our own beliefs as we see fit', people would not.

Why anybody would want to become a nun or a priest defies all logic because only hermits could do it, becoming one means you can never fall in love and never marry or have a family and to be forced into that to prove a loyalty sounds like a very empty existence. God doesn't damn people if they have sex, or if they marry and have children, so why should the church declare that to be THEIR job to do either?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 11:22 am