CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+2
Bluesmama
RedBedroom
6 posters

Do you think it is rude to request stopping exchanging gifts with friends?

RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Do you think it is rude to request stopping exchanging gifts with friends? Empty Do you think it is rude to request stopping exchanging gifts with friends?

Post by RedBedroom Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:55 am

We really don't have a ton of friends we exchange gifts with. But while shopping today, I was thinking about this for next year.

Toys are not cheap and today I shopped for a ton of kids. I just felt like it was way too much money and we could just get together for dinner and leave it at that, and save us both the money and hassle.

It's not supposed to be about the gifts anyway.
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Do you think it is rude to request stopping exchanging gifts with friends? Empty Re: Do you think it is rude to request stopping exchanging gifts with friends?

Post by Bluesmama Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:16 am

A couple of friends suggested no more gifts in recent years and I was okay with it. Instead, we just meet for dinner somewhere. It definitely isn't cheaper. . . but it eliminates the shopping hassle.

So, no, do suggest it.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Do you think it is rude to request stopping exchanging gifts with friends? Empty Re: Do you think it is rude to request stopping exchanging gifts with friends?

Post by RedBedroom Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:05 am

Well, I would be cool to host dinner rather than meet out. Though that isn't free either. I am just growing tired of all the excess in gift buying.
    Minerva
    Minerva
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Female
    Rep : 18

Post by Minerva Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:20 am

It has always gotten a little tiresome for me that some of my friends expect presents on Christmas, especially because I am not Christian.

So yes I have suggested that we don't exchange presents a few years ago. Nowadays, everone is so broke, they don't mind at all.

The only presents I give are small ones to my great nephews on their birthdays. I used to send my nieces presents until they turned 18. Now they get e-cards.

Go ahead and suggest it. They shouldn't resent it.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:25 am

Minerva wrote:It has always gotten a little tiresome for me that some of my friends expect presents on Christmas, especially because I am not Christian.

So yes I have suggested that we don't exchange presents a few years ago. Nowadays, everyone is so broke, they don't mind at all.

The only presents I give are small ones to my great nephews on their birthdays. I used to send my nieces presents until they turned 18. Now they get e-cards.

Go ahead and suggest it. They shouldn't resent it.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I think the lack of funds makes halting gift giving appealing to us all.

I just keep reverting to my mom who was so sad when she was told by someone to stop sending a gift. The home my parents retired to was our vacation home for years. And Mom always sent a gift to the people who lived right by as a thank you for watching over the place. Mom was very hurt when they asked her to stop sending gifts. Granted, it is different because they felt like they had to reciprocate which came in the form of a tree from their tree farm when we spent Christmas there a few years. But, Mom was so put off by the request. But it seems sensible to me.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:41 am

If you don't go out to the mall like a diligent citizen and put yourself in debt at great personal expense of time and effort, the economy will sink into another Great Depression. They are watching the 'Black Friday' numbers like they do the ups and downs on Wall Street. It is your duty to do this relentless task. The department stores are even doing ads about ppl checking off their shopping lists as if it were a work assignment.

Or, do like I have all my adult life. I don't do Christmas. In fact I don't do gifts for any of the normal Hallmark approved occasions. I give gifts when I feel like it. Really does surprise ppl.

I am not Christian, but will be the first to tell ppl "Keep Christ in Christmas." It is not about the gift-giving, that is an economic sham perpetuated by merchants (and now the treasury department I'm sure). It is our version of building stone pyramids in the jungle for no good reason, other than to occupy the whole tribe and keep an economy going.

But, I can't advise on this as I have always been 'counter-culture' and just do what feels right to me. And, ppl say, 'Oh, that's just Shale' and write me off as weird.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:45 pm

Nope.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:19 pm

Sounds like a plan to me.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 5:31 pm