CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+5
Bluesmama
Nystyle709
Shale
Nhaiyel
Chris
9 posters

'High heeled boy prompts protest at school' (video)

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

News 'High heeled boy prompts protest at school' (video)

Post by Chris Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:58 am

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/news/local/high-heeled-boy-prompts-protest

High heeled boy prompts protest at school
    Niagara Falls boy claims double standard

Updated: Thursday, 22 Dec 2011, 5:47 PM EST
    Published : Thursday, 22 Dec 2011, 4:04 PM EST

High heeled boy prompts protest at school: wivb.com

George Richert

NIAGARA FALLS, N.Y. (WIVB) - There is controversy in the halls of a local high school over how a teenaged boy was treated when he wore high heels to school.

More than 20 supporters turned out in front of Niagara Falls High School on Thursday for 17-year-old junior Tyreese Maye. The openly gay student wasn't allowed to wear the same bright red high heels that many girls were wearing in the high school.

"I wore some high stiletto red heels and I had many girls wear them, too, just to see who they would pick out first. I didn't even last a period because I went to breakfast and they told me to take them off. It was an administrator and he told me to take them off and I told him, 'Tell this girl to take her heels off.' And he said, 'No, I'm making you take yours off first.' And I said, 'That's not fair,'" said Maye.

He first refused to take them off, but gave in after he says he was threatened with suspension in the principal's office.

Student Autumn Gotel said, "I had on heels yesterday all day long; they let me wear them walking up and down the stairs all day. There's about five or six of my friends had on heels they didn't say anything. They say the reason Tyreese couldn't wear his heels was because it was distracting."

Maye argued, "How is this a distraction? There are girls that are half-naked in school. That's a distraction."

Administrator James Spanbauer says it was partly a safety issue in case of a fire in the four-story building.

"I would say there probably are some students who go through the day without us addressing, but our intention is to keep everybody safe and administer the Code of Conduct equally across the board and we do the best we can with 1,900 students and when we see things that are inappropriate we address it," said Spanbauer, who denied there was a double-standard for boys wearing heels.

The group has also started a petition, already amassing a few hundred signatures.

Maye's mother, Jenyne Powell, said, "I'm proud of him that he wants to stand up for himself and defend what he feels is right."

Classes won't resume until early January, and Maye plans to present his petition at the next school board meeting in late January.
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

News Re: 'High heeled boy prompts protest at school' (video)

Post by Nhaiyel Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:28 am

I didn't hear anything about a documented dress code that students had to adhere to. If there isn't one, or if the one that they have doesn't stipulate kinds of footwear, then I don't think the school has much of a case here.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:50 am

"Administrator James Spanbauer says it was partly a safety issue in case of a fire in the four-story building.

"I would say there probably are some students who go through the day without us addressing, but our intention is to keep everybody safe and administer the Code of Conduct equally across the board and we do the best we can with 1,900 students and when we see things that are inappropriate we address it," said Spanbauer, who denied there was a double-standard for boys wearing heels."

The usual Bullshit!

Yes, they clearly were exercising a double standard, and as one girl said, no one was concerned with her 'safety' when she wore heels. This would lose in court as an equal access case but who can afford to take it there.

Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:53 pm

LOL. If you're name ain't Prince, no male can pull of high heels. But oh well, if he wants to wear them, so what.
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Post by Bluesmama Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:29 pm

'High heeled boy prompts protest at school' (video) 954338
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:13 pm

Student Autumn Gotel said, "I had on heels yesterday all day long; they let me wear them walking up and down the stairs all day. There's about five or six of my friends had on heels they didn't say anything. They say the reason Tyreese couldn't wear his heels was because it was distracting."

Why are they playing dumb? Of course a dude in high heels is gonna be 10x more noticeable and "distracting" than when a female wears them. Express your individuality at home....don't go to school trying to rebel.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:28 am

Nhaiyel wrote:I didn't hear anything about a documented dress code that students had to adhere to. If there isn't one, or if the one that they have doesn't stipulate kinds of footwear, then I don't think the school has much of a case here.
    co-signs
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Post by Bluesmama Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:14 pm

Honestly, all of the crap in this article reminds me of why I firmly believe schools SHOULD have dress codes.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:07 am

Sorry. Couldn't help it Shrugs (Oh well…)

Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Post by Suzi Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:47 pm

I don't have a problem with it. I think we adults get too concerned with whats on the outside or with things that can change in a heart beat. I remember a really good kid who had the wildest hair do Any of us had ever seen. A co-worker said if he was her son she would throw him out of the house. I maintained it was only hair and knowing kids it could change tomorrow. Next day she came running into my side of the shop to tell me I was right it had changed he had gotten it cut. I suspect he got it cut for an interview with a college. soon there after it grew back and went back to the same wild hair do as before. The only thing I objected to with my kids was anything that would be permanent like extra piercings and tattoos. Our son was 40 when he got a tattoo.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 6:46 am