CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+2
Cheaps
Chris
6 posters

'High School Senior Expelled For Tweeting Profanity' (video)

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

News 'High School Senior Expelled For Tweeting Profanity' (video)

Post by Chris Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:08 am

http://www.indianasnewscenter.com/news/local/High-School-Senior-Expelled-For-Tweeting-Profanity---144022966.html

High School Senior Expelled For Tweeting Profanity

By Stephanie Parkinson
    March 23, 2012 Updated Mar 26, 2012 at 7:18 AM EDT

GARRETT, Ind. (Indiana’s NewsCenter) - Police were called to Garrett High School Friday after students there threatened to protest. This all comes after a senior was expelled for what he tweeted on his personal Twitter account.

"One of my tweets was, BEEP is one of those BEEP words you can BEEP put anywhere in a BEEP sentence and it still BEEP make sense,” said Austin Carroll, student.

Austin was expelled from Garrett High School after tweeting the F-word under his account. The school claims it was done from a school computer. Austin says he did it from home.

"If my account is on my own personal account, I don't think the school or anybody should be looking at it. Because it's my own personal stuff and it's none of their business,” said Carroll.

"I totally didn't agree with what Austin said but I didn't agree with an expulsion either. I mean if they suspended him for 3 days or something, I would be fine with that but to kick him out of school, his senior year, 3 months to go, wrong,” said Pam Smith, Austin’s mother.

The principal at Garrett High School claims their system tracks all the tweets on Twitter when a student logs in, meaning even if he did tweet it from home their system could have recognized it when he logged in again at school.

“I didn't post the thing at school but their computer is saying that I did post it, and I shouldn't be getting in trouble for stuff I did on my own time, on my own computer,” said Carroll.

Austin is going to an alternative school and will be able to graduate. But he says there is so much more he wishes he could be a part of.

"I just want to be able to go back to regular school, go to prom and go to everything that a regular senior would get to do in their senior year,” said Carroll.

Indiana's NewCenter reached out to the school's administration. The principal refused to comment on camera at the request of the school's attorney.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 252

News Re: 'High School Senior Expelled For Tweeting Profanity' (video)

Post by Cheaps Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:12 am

Twitter is the what?'High School Senior Expelled For Tweeting Profanity' (video) Untitled-106 ___________!!
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:29 am

What they do away from school is none of the schools damn business. People better start speaking out against this because it's getting out of hand.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:18 am

Devils work.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:11 am

"If my account is on my own personal account, I don't think the school or anybody should be looking at it. Because it's my own personal stuff and it's none of their business,” said Carroll.

I BEEP agree with him.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:26 am

In this instance it is impossible to determine who is telling the truth. If the school is right in that he did it during school hours, then perhaps he deserves such punishment. Though...many kids can do FB and Twitter via phone and it not be tracked so he is possibly being unfairly punished.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:57 am