CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+6
Tony Marino
Shale
Supernova
RobbieFTW
CeCe
Chris
10 posters

Should parents make their child get involved in an extra-curricular activity?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Should parents make their child get involved in an extra-curricular activity? Empty Should parents make their child get involved in an extra-curricular activity?

Post by Chris Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:31 am

When you were a kid, did your parents insist that they get involved in some sort of hobby/activity or learn a craft (piano lessons, karate, the scouts, etc., etc.?) Did you – or would you – make your kids take up an activity?
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Should parents make their child get involved in an extra-curricular activity? Empty Re: Should parents make their child get involved in an extra-curricular activity?

Post by CeCe Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:46 am

Encourage but not force. I was made to take piano lessons. Didn't want it. Hated it. So no, never forced mine into anything like that.
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Should parents make their child get involved in an extra-curricular activity? Empty Re: Should parents make their child get involved in an extra-curricular activity?

Post by RobbieFTW Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:26 am

My folks never made me doing anything but my mom used to bug me about joining the cub scouts. I didnt want to so i never did and now i am glad i didnt.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:02 am

Yeah if the kid's not going to enjoy doing it, you are just throwing your money away on that one.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:21 am

I was always self-motivated in what I wanted to do and had many hobbies.

Had my own interest in visual art, but not music and fortunately no one wasted money on trying to force me into that. The advantage of being lower middle class.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:46 am

They didn't force me, I used to do things on my own.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:48 pm

I would encourage it, but I wouldn't mandate it.
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Post by Bluesmama Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:51 pm

Yes, if it's something the child wants to do.

But I've known parents who had their kids involved in so many things that it made their heads spin, and their own time was compromised from playing taxi. I always had to wonder if these families think it's a CRIME to enforce family time at home. There needs to be balance.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:37 pm

Bluesmama wrote:Yes, if it's something the child wants to do.

But I've known parents who had their kids involved in so many things that it made their heads spin, and their own time was compromised from playing taxi. I always had to wonder if these families think it's a CRIME to enforce family time at home. There needs to be balance.

Agreed, these are probably the same people that if the TV had to go off and they had to actually TALK to their kids, the gears in their heads would rust up and explode.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:35 pm

It is important all kids have an interest. Even if it is model building or something they do at home. I think parents should try to influence extracurriculars, but not if the child is totally against it.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:44 am

Don't force them but don't let them sit in front of a TV or computer all day. Balance.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 8:41 pm