CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+6
Marc™
Tony Marino
Alan Smithee
captainbryce
Supernova
RedBedroom
10 posters

What is your opinion of someone who is still a student in his or her 30's?

RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Question What is your opinion of someone who is still a student in his or her 30's?

Post by RedBedroom Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:55 am

I am not talking about continuing ed or starting college late in life...

What do you think about someone who went to college and just kept taking classes into their 30's with or without parental support?
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Question Re: What is your opinion of someone who is still a student in his or her 30's?

Post by RedBedroom Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:57 am

Granted, this is a relatively elusive demographic.

I do know one from my high school. She is 33...still lives in student housing at UW Madison and earns money from being a teachers' assistant and who knows what else...
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Question Re: What is your opinion of someone who is still a student in his or her 30's?

Post by Supernova Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:05 am

Some people like being in school and see a point in furthering their education. I'm not one of them but more power to them if they've got the time and money and the want for it.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Post by captainbryce Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:31 am

My mom is in her 50's and she's still in school, lol. Granted she's doing online courses trying to get her PhD, but the real reason she's doing it is for the money. She qualified for a grant that pays her a specific amount of money as long as she's "in school". So she takes one course every semester to keep getting paid. She just earned her masters last year and is working towards a PhD. So it kind of kills two birds with one stone!
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:47 pm

Shrugs (Oh well…) Eh, if they're not being a burden to anyone I guess it's their business if they want to be a professional student.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:12 pm

I guess its their business if they want to be a professional student.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:23 pm

You mean someone keeps going back for the hell of it, despite their formal education being done? Like, someone who is easily engrossed in random subjects and enrolls in classes just for leisure? Eh. Don't quite understand it, but more power to them I guess.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:35 pm

I don't see a problem with it. Who said there has to be an age limit to learning? You're never too old to get an education.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:29 pm

Tony Marino wrote:I guess its their business if they want to be a professional student.

Gee Tony I wish I'd said that.
    big grin

jennab85
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 2

Post by jennab85 Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:14 am

Marc™ wrote:You mean someone keeps going back for the hell of it, despite their formal education being done? Like, someone who is easily engrossed in random subjects and enrolls in classes just for leisure? Eh. Don't quite understand it, but more power to them I guess.

I was also wondering if he meant it that way. I have known several people who have gone back to classes for leisure. I took a few online classes and I remember some of the people in the classes already had degress and careers. I remember there was a nurse in a religion class I was taking.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:15 am

Good for them? Shrugs (Oh well…)
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:21 pm

Marc™️ wrote:You mean someone keeps going back for the hell of it, despite their formal education being done? Like, someone who is easily engrossed in random subjects and enrolls in classes just for leisure? Eh. Don't quite understand it, but more power to them I guess.

co-signs
    To each his own. I am all for things like workshops, but when I finished school, I was done for the most part. Aside from finishing up my law degree, I have no desire to go back for additional electives.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Jun 03, 2024 12:34 am