CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+4
Shale
Alan Smithee
Cheaps
Marc™
8 posters

Do You File Your Own Taxes or Go to an Accountant?

Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Do You File Your Own Taxes or Go to an Accountant?  Empty Do You File Your Own Taxes or Go to an Accountant?

Post by Marc™ Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:03 am

Who does your taxes?
    Cheaps
    Cheaps
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 252

Do You File Your Own Taxes or Go to an Accountant?  Empty Re: Do You File Your Own Taxes or Go to an Accountant?

Post by Cheaps Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:18 am

My mom used to do them up until a few years ago, past 3 years I've been doing turbo tax.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Do You File Your Own Taxes or Go to an Accountant?  Empty Re: Do You File Your Own Taxes or Go to an Accountant?

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:24 am

We just do the standard deductions so my wife files on line with Turbo Tax.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:44 am

For years I used the E-Z tax form - no deductions, everything quite simple and quick. But, I discovered my life more complicated when I bought a condo and a tax consultant got a couple thousand back for me that I didn't know about. Then, I turned 65 and couldn't use the E-Z form any more so I've been letting this person do my taxes. Only costs $50 and I likely get that back and then some.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:39 am

I do my own. Been doing it since I was 19.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:44 pm

I have been going to this small tax office for the past ten years. They're very quick and affordable. I would probably save a little more money if I did them myself, but I don't mind going there.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:25 pm

Accountant.
    FireIce918
    FireIce918
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Female
    Rep : 8

Post by FireIce918 Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:24 am

I urge everyone to learn how to do your own tax return....or at least review it before someone else files it! Too many times I've seen situations where accountants made serious mistakes that caused audits, or the taxpayer was completely confused about his own tax account because he just gives the info to the accountant to do whatever.

And if you can stop going to those 3rd party preparers....PLEASE stop! I've seen a lot of preparer fraud and it ain't pretty. And they charge you a pretty penny for something you can most likely do for free if you do a little reading and have a bit of patience. I remember one chick was supposed to get a refund of about $8000 and the preparer took HALF....and she had no idea!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 2:35 am