CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+7
Tony Marino
JM130ELM
CeCe
Shale
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
Forgiveness Man
Chris
11 posters

Should gay people pay less taxes?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Should gay people pay less taxes? Empty Should gay people pay less taxes?

Post by Chris Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:59 am

For as long as gays are denied certain civil liberties, like marriage, do you think that they should–in exchange–get to pay less taxes?
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Should gay people pay less taxes? Empty Re: Should gay people pay less taxes?

Post by Forgiveness Man Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:44 am

(I don't see any civil liberties denied.) But no, they shouldn't pay less taxes. That's frankly just silly.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 62

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:47 am

You don't see any civil liberties being denied? What planet do you live on?
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:51 am

Rockbird wrote:You don't see any civil liberties being denied? What planet do you live on?

The planet earth. Razz
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:02 am

Rockbird wrote:You don't see any civil liberties being denied? What planet do you live on?
    You mean being able to marry your partner and be recognized by Social Security to receive survivor benefits is not a civil liberty, when in fact you are forced to pay into that system like every het worker?

I may be biased, but that sounds like government discrimination to me.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:09 am

I would be fine with that. There's no reason for people to pay the same taxes when the government doesn't treat them the same way & openly enforces laws against them having the same rights as everyone else.
    JM130ELM
    JM130ELM
    …is Necessary.
    …is Necessary.

Male
    Rep : 32

Post by JM130ELM Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:12 am

Forgiveness Man wrote:(I don't see any civil liberties denied.) But no, they shouldn't pay less taxes. That's frankly just silly.

Actually a number of states don't include sexual orientation in their Employment Protection Legislation, meaning an employer can terminate a worker for simply being gay. In situations like this, where someone has been fired based on sexual orientation, let them pay less taxes. As far as the inability to marry goes, I can't co-sign that one.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:13 am

Shale wrote:
    You mean being able to marry your partner and be recognized by Social Security to receive survivor benefits is not a civil liberty, when in fact you are forced to pay into that system like every het worker?

I may be biased, but that sounds like government discrimination to me.

Don't forget have little to no protection from being turned down for housing applications and jobs.

Being fired.

Not being allowed to see significant others during hospital room visits.

Adoption bias/adoption not even being allowed in some states.

So anybody who likes to believe that gay people aren't denied civil liberties and justice in the USA is severely, severely delusional.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:39 am

JM130ELM wrote:
    Forgiveness Man wrote:(I don't see any civil liberties denied.) But no, they shouldn't pay less taxes. That's frankly just silly.

Actually a number of states don't include sexual orientation in their Employment Protection Legislation, meaning an employer can terminate a worker for simply being gay. In situations like this, where someone has been fired based on sexual orientation, let them pay less taxes. As far as the inability to marry goes, I can't co-sign that one.
    Unless the job is specifically tied to religion, I'd agree. But I honestly do not see such things as being commonplace in today's day and age.(And the violation of civil liberties thing pretty much tries to make it apply to all homosexuals, hence the job thing isn't really something applicable across the board) And people who are out of work typically do pay less in taxes cause of lack of income.

So ultimately, no to less in taxes.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:06 pm

You don't see it as being commonplace because you're not gay, obviously.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:32 pm

Rockbird wrote:You don't see it as being commonplace because you're not gay, obviously.

If only this old argument held water...
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:34 pm

Forgiveness Man wrote:

The planet earth. Razz

U R Sooooooooooooooooooooooo BAD!! Razz
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:37 pm

Rockbird wrote:

Adoption bias/adoption not even being allowed in some states.
    Actually, I believe Florida was the LAST state forbidding gays from adopting, and it was just ruled unconstitutional last year by the courts here.

The attorney general who fought this for years (paying thousands of our tax dollars to the hypocrite George Rekers as an expert witness) decided not to pursue an appeal. So, for the time being gays can adopt here.

However, the new Reptilian governor Scott has mentioned making it illegal for SINGLE ppl to adopt. That would prevent those hets who elect not to marry and those homos who are not allowed to marry from adopting.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:41 pm

What annoys me the most about paying taxes is that I have to pay over 7,000 dollars a year in SCHOOL TAXES and I don't have a child and am not a married man. I would gladly pay half of that and I think its unfair that I have to pay that amount when people that live in apartments that have 5 kids do not pay any school taxes, where is the sense in that?

Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:48 pm

Tony Marino wrote:What annoys me the most about paying taxes is that I have to pay over 7,000 dollars a year in SCHOOL TAXES and I don't have a child and am not a married man. I would gladly pay half of that and I think its unfair that I have to pay that amount when people that live in apartments that have 5 kids do not pay any school taxes, where is the sense in that?

I am NOT bad! Razz

Hey, I hear you about the school taxes. But that's not a gay/straight issue at all. We didn't use public schools but we didn't get no tax break. IMO, doing away with school taxes isn't something that is somehow a gay or straight issue at all. Wink
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:49 pm

Forgiveness Man wrote:
    Rockbird wrote:You don't see it as being commonplace because you're not gay, obviously.

It holds a lot more than water. I'm saying that you don't see these things because you're not on the look out for them. If you were gay, your eyes would be peeled.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:52 pm

Rockbird wrote:
    Forgiveness Man wrote:

It holds a lot more than water. I'm saying that you don't see these things because you're not on the look out for them. If you were gay, your eyes would be peeled.

But it doesn't hold water. It's an old and baseless argument. (One could easily make the converse claim as well)
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:53 pm

You could, and I'm sure you could argue it.

Prove me wrong. Smile
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:58 pm

Rockbird wrote:You could, and I'm sure you could argue it.

Prove me wrong. Smile
    And it'd use the same logic you used. Razz

You made the positive claim; prove it yourself. Wink

Clearly plenty of non-gay people "see" it. The idea that you have to be part of a group in order to be able to see whether or not something said about it is true is absurd and frankly just an excuse to avoid confronting points. I don't have to be gay to see the absurdity in ideas like gay people should pay less taxes.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:10 pm

I don't think we should pay less taxes either; I think we should have equal rights.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:27 pm

Forgiveness Man wrote:
    Tony Marino wrote:What annoys me the most about paying taxes is that I have to pay over 7,000 dollars a year in SCHOOL TAXES and I don't have a child and am not a married man. I would gladly pay half of that and I think its unfair that I have to pay that amount when people that live in apartments that have 5 kids do not pay any school taxes, where is the sense in that?

I am NOT bad! Razz

Hey, I hear you about the school taxes. But that's not a gay/straight issue at all. We didn't use public schools but we didn't get no tax break. IMO, doing away with school taxes isn't something that is somehow a gay or straight issue at all. Wink

Its my issue why do I have to educate someone else's brats when I don't have any of my own?? Razz Razz
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:03 pm

I think gays shouldn't be paying any less taxes than anyone else. They don't need anyone else treating them as if they were "different" - they get treated that way enough. They need to be treated as equals.

Anyone who believes gays aren't being denied civil liberties is an ignorant slob. But enough about Forgiveness_Man...
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:41 pm

MandyPerfumeGirl wrote:...
    Anyone who believes gays aren't being denied civil liberties is an ignorant slob. But enough about Forgiveness_Man...
    ROFLMAO!
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:52 pm

Rockbird wrote:I don't think we should pay less taxes either; I think we should have equal rights.
    I say everyone pretty much has equal rights. But since this IS in the context of taxes, you agree with my stance. Razz
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:55 pm

We don't.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 11:02 pm