CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+6
CeCe
Shale
Alan Smithee
RedBedroom
Tony Marino
Chris
10 posters

N.Y. parents want to ban ice cream trucks

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

News N.Y. parents want to ban ice cream trucks

Post by Chris Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:47 pm

http://blog.sfgate.com/sfmoms/2012/04/02/n-y-parents-want-to-ban-ice-cream-trucks/

N.Y. parents want to ban ice cream trucks
    The kids are all screaming for ice cream—but not their parents. They’re saying no!

N.Y. parents want to ban ice cream trucks Ice-cream-truck-ban

Some parents in Brooklyn’s tony Park Slope neighborhood are trying to stop ice cream vendors from hawking their cold treats to kids in Prospect Park, according to the New York Post.

Pushcarts and trucks selling everything from Italian ice to Nestle Drumsticks begin circling the park’s Harmony Playground in the spring. For some parents getting their kids a cone come April is a tradition, but a few members of the Park Slope Parents online group just wish the ice cream trucks would go away. These parents are tired of listening to their children cry, scream and throw tantrums when they’re denied a sugary ice cream.

“Along with the first truly beautiful day of the year, my son and I had our first ruined day at the playground,” A member of the group named Sarah wrote. “Two different people came into the actual playground with ice cream/Italian ice push carts. I was able to avoid it for a little while but eventually I left with a crying 4-year-old.”

Another mom Sarah Schenck shared with the Post: “Nobody wants to be a crank, but one in three kids are going to be obese or diabetic by high school,” she said. “When my kids see other kids get ice cream, they just start begging me. I just don’t think these are the fights we should be having.”

And another mom, who wanted to be kept anonymous for fear of being ostracized by friends, told the Post that there’s a group of parents in Park Slope who are trying to get the trucks banned. But this mom doesn’t agree. “People just need to say no,” she said. “I say no to him all the time, and I feel his wrath. But he needs to hear that no.”

I get these parents’ frustration with the ice cream trucks. Our world today is filled with treats and when you’ve got kids everywhere you turn there’s a candy dish or a birthday cake or an ice cream store. You’re constantly saying, “No!” or “only one candy,” or “just one piece.” I’ve listened to the loud, obnoxious cries of a 4-year-old who’s denied a Popsicle at the park. Just about any child psychologist will tell you that if you ignore your child’s whining and screams, he will eventually learn that there’s no reason to throw a tantrum every time he wants a Popsicle and hears the word “no.” And learning to take no for an answer is an important lesson for children.

And while I wish some of the candy dishes would go away, especially the ones at dentist offices (come on guys!), I think the ice cream trucks should stay. Parents need to learn that they can’t always change the world to make parenting easier. Sometimes they just have to suck it up and say “No!”

And hey, why not get the kid an ice cream every now and then. Any kid who has never shared a Drumstick with mom or dad on a hot sunny day at the park is missing out.

What do you think? Should ice cream trucks be banned?
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

News Re: N.Y. parents want to ban ice cream trucks

Post by Tony Marino Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:49 pm

How stupid, whats wrong with getting a kid an ice cream cone?
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:53 pm

I do think ice cream trucks should go away. But not because I never possessed the ability to tell my son, "no." The logic in this article for getting rid of them is b.s. Parents are too lax.

I think the reason the trucks should be banned is because they are over-priced and the carnival music is annoying.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:56 pm

“People just need to say no,” she said. “I say no to him all the time, and I feel his wrath. But he needs to hear that no.”

RIGHT ON!
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:28 pm

"Parents need to learn that they can’t always change the world to make parenting easier. Sometimes they just have to suck it up and say “No!”
    co-signs
    RedBedroom wrote:...I think the reason the trucks should be banned is because they are over-priced and the carnival music is annoying.
    co-signs
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:32 pm

The music is annoying as hell & I'm dreading it this summer. They drive up & down my street almost constantly. But kids have to understand they can't have everything they want or what "everyone else" gets.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:48 pm

LOL. They're fucking stupid. Somebody needs something to do.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:56 pm

Ice cream trucks are the devil.

Take your cheap ass over to DQ with the rest of the hoes.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:07 am

I used to love the ice cream man. Don't take them away.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:52 am

Some people are just so miserable they want everyone to join them by sucking the joy out of life. I'm not looking forward to hearing "Turkey in the Straw" 750,000 but all the neighborhood kids love it.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:23 am

This is obviously the next step. If you don't like something, ban it. Nevermind exercising some self-control and simply not buying it. No, we're going to ban it cause we got a problem with it.

And frankly, kids need to be told that they can't get something just because they see it. It seems to me like these parents want to avoid being parents.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:46 pm