CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+3
Nystyle709
Forgiveness Man
Alan Smithee
7 posters

'God Prefers Kind Atheists Over Hateful Christians'

Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

'God Prefers Kind Atheists Over Hateful Christians' Empty 'God Prefers Kind Atheists Over Hateful Christians'

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:46 am

At least that's what this preacher says,

'God Prefers Kind Atheists Over Hateful Christians' S-CHURCHGODPREFERSKINDATHEISTS-large

It's the kind of thing one might expect from an episode of "Portlandia," but the message is real -- and its biggest advocate says that it's rooted in scripture.

A Portland, Oreg., Methodist church has displayed a controversial message on its community billboard that reads, "God prefers kind atheists over hateful Christians."

Tom Tate, the pastor of Rose City Park United Methodist Church in northeast Portland, told The Blaze that the sign shows his 385-member church's "radical hospitality" towards people who feel alienated from faith.

In a phone interview with The Huffington Post, Tate said the he's received reactions from people all across the country, from Massachusetts to Texas, and that people have been overwhelmingly positive about the sign's message. Tate estimates that he receives "30 to 40" positive responses for every one negative response.

"The ones that are upset think we are pitting atheism against Christianity," Pastor Tate told The Huffington Post, "We are actually pitting kindness against hatefulness."

An Internet poll of readers on The Blaze, a conservative website created in part by Glenn Beck, showed that, at time of writing, more than 69 percent of respondents agree with the statement, compared with 22 percent that disagree.

Tate said the message on the sign is exemplified in the Bible through the parable of the Good Samaritan. To the Hebrew religious establishment of the time, Samaritans were like atheists, Tate said.

The message was posted on the church's exterior billboard in late March, and has since gone viral across social networks.

The Rose City Park Methodist Church is a United Methodist Church affiliated with the Reconciling Ministries Network, an organization dedicated to the inclusion of people of all sexual orientations and gender identities.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/06/god-prefers-kind-atheists-over-hateful-christians_n_1408519.html?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmaing9%7Cdl6%7Csec3_lnk1%26pLid%3D149927
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

'God Prefers Kind Atheists Over Hateful Christians' Empty Re: 'God Prefers Kind Atheists Over Hateful Christians'

Post by Forgiveness Man Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:57 am

I am sure he's right. Too bad many atheists are every bit as hateful as the Christians they preach against. Although I did meet 1 kind atheist online once. big grin (And I am sure God would prefer kind Christians to both. Wink )
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

'God Prefers Kind Atheists Over Hateful Christians' Empty Re: 'God Prefers Kind Atheists Over Hateful Christians'

Post by Nystyle709 Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:33 am

Okay.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:01 am

I like to think 'hateful Christian' is an oxymoron.
    ph balanced
    ph balanced
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 4

Post by ph balanced Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:06 am

I get it and I like it. If you're a Christian, it would be somewhat foolish to think that just going to church on Sunday and lambasting others that don't will get you into Heaven
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:08 am

RedBedroom wrote:I like to think 'hateful Christian' is an oxymoron.

It's not. When I was younger, a 'christian' guy upon learning that I did not believe in god threatened to punch me in the face. I didn't hang out with him after that.

Then there were the rural 'christians' in Mississippi who stole stuff out of my cabin in the woods and everyone in that church knew who the ppl were but never chastised them for it. After all we were just a bunch of outsiders from New Orleans - the 'thou shalt not steal' rule didn't apply to outsiders.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:19 am

Shale, that guy was not a Christian. He was a poser. And I feel there are way more posers than there are true Christians.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:58 am

I think the problem is that 'Christians' are often stereotyped by the worst of the bunch. Yeah, I agree there are a lot of fake Christians out there. If you gotta compare yourself to the haters to seem good, then that's not really making you look all that spotless.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:48 am

ROFLMAO! I don't have to compare myself against anyone to seem good. I'm stand alone good.
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Post by Suzi Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:05 pm

Its the born agains I can't stand, and I suspect if there was a god he couldn't stand them either. The bible does say that not all who cry lord lord will see the kingdom of heaven and I suspect it meant born agains. They are the most hateful and hate filled people I have ever encountered.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 5:20 pm