CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+4
Forgiveness Man
Shale
Alan Smithee
Chris
8 posters

Can atheists and agnostics be republicans?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Can atheists and agnostics be republicans? Empty Can atheists and agnostics be republicans?

Post by Chris Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:56 am

Of course they can be, but would you find it odd for an atheist or a agnostic to be a conservative republican?
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Can atheists and agnostics be republicans? Empty Re: Can atheists and agnostics be republicans?

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:02 am

Sure, why not? There are black and Latino Republicans. Those who believe in (what were perceived as the party's former) conservative economic policies before the party became infected by the Tea party parasite and want to steer it away from the socially repressive course they're on now.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Can atheists and agnostics be republicans? Empty Re: Can atheists and agnostics be republicans?

Post by Shale Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:11 am

I thot there was a GOP bylaw that said you must believe in the Lord Jesus Christ as your savior, but Jews with money would be tolerated. All other fringe beliefs need not apply. blank stare @ you
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:40 am

I'd find it unusual only because most public atheists are Democrats and are very hateful about it, but I know and am good friends with an atheist who is quite conservative. She's actually a sort of mentor of mine and we've had some fun discussions about politics and religion. We might not agree on religion at all but she's relatively likeminded to me in many areas of politics. I think it's actually quite easy for an atheist to be a Republican. The atheists who tend to be liberal are the angry, bigoted ones who are more anti-Christian than they are atheist. If somebody merely doesn't believe in the existence of God, that doesn't mean they have to subscribe to the platform that the Democrats promote. Atheists suffer under Crats too. lol Plenty of incentive for atheists to be Republicans.
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:25 am

Sure they can. The question, though, is why? The GOP is so rooted in traditionally christian ideals, and is still heavily colored by it, that I wonder how an atheist could easily relate to that party?
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Post by captainbryce Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:46 pm

Chris wrote:Of course they can be, but would you find it odd for an atheist or a agnostic to be a conservative republican?
    Would I find it odd that there are atheist and agnostic conservatives? Not at all. I think that most greedy, rich people are republicans and I doubt many of those types would qualify as "godly" individuals. Donald Trump hardly seems like the most "Christian" guy out there, and I'd actually put most politicians (republican and democrat) in his category as well. It surprises me more when some rich republican actually claims to be a Christian, because it's so goddamn unbelievable considering the things that they typically do. Strangely enough as rich and "out of touch" as this particular republican is, I actually do believe that Mitt Romney is a man of faith just based on the personality that I've seen from him (which actually seems quite likable and homely on a personal level). But I don't think he represents the majority of people in his socio-economic level. I think most republican politicians and conservative media hosts are FAKE Christians who actually demonstrate more EVIL than good. Anyone who thinks that the racist, sexist, homophobic, fouled mouthed, drug abusing Rush Limbaugh is actually a practicing Christian probably has a brain tumor!

I think that the average citizen (who is not in the top 1 percent) who considers themselves to be conservative and typically vote republican are likely to self identify as Christian or "religious", and I think it is more unlikely for people in this group to be agnostic or atheist. The reason they are "conservative" has to do with values and principles on social issues, as republicans typically cater to the "Christian right" in order to gain them as constituents. Republicans generally make or stand for social policies that are favored by social conservatives (anti-abortion, anti gay, etc). And that's why poor and middle class conservatives who are religious typically vote republican. But there are other conservatives out there (fiscal conservatives) who don't give a shit about religion or the associated social issues. Many of them like to refer to themselves as "libertarian".
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Post by captainbryce Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:49 pm

Nhaiyel wrote:Sure they can. The question, though, is why? The GOP is so rooted in traditionally christian ideals, and is still heavily colored by it, that I wonder how an atheist could easily relate to that party?
    MONEY! Rich atheists and agnostics relate to the party that earns them the most money and forces them to pay the least amount of taxes at the expense of the poor. That's the Republican party, and that means that they would generally be considered fiscal conservatives.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:42 pm

Not if said atheist or agnostic was rich.
    Kral
    Kral
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 30

Post by Kral Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:00 am

Since Republicans are all about benefitting the wealthy, I agree that it would make sense if they were well off financially. Otherwise I would find it very odd for a working class atheists to align with them.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 4:50 pm