CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+7
MandyPerfumeGirl
RedBedroom
Nhaiyel
Shale
Alan Smithee
Supernova
Marc™
11 posters

Should Parents Have Kids If They Can't See Affording College?

Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Should Parents Have Kids If They Can't See Affording College? Empty Should Parents Have Kids If They Can't See Affording College?

Post by Marc™ Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:38 am

Didn't wanna hijack Atown's other thread about college with this question. So if a couple is planning to have a child....or has an early accidental pregnancy....should their foreseeing being able to pay for college factor into whether or not they should ahead and bring a kid into the world?
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Should Parents Have Kids If They Can't See Affording College? Empty Re: Should Parents Have Kids If They Can't See Affording College?

Post by Supernova Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:01 am

I'd sure like to know exactly HOW many parents HAVE foreseen being able to afford college 18 years down the road from their kid's birth before having kids, because I'm pretty sure that would be a small minority...if everybody waited until they were old enough, mature enough, responsible enough and financially well off enough to have kids, nobody would've ever been born.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Should Parents Have Kids If They Can't See Affording College? Empty Re: Should Parents Have Kids If They Can't See Affording College?

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:15 am

Marc™ wrote:Didn't wanna hijack Atown's other thread about college with this question. So if a couple is planning to have a child....or has an early accidental pregnancy....should their foreseeing being able to pay for college factor into whether or not they should ahead and bring a kid into the world?

No.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:24 am

Supernova wrote:I'd sure like to know exactly HOW many parents HAVE foreseen being able to afford college 18 years down the road from their kid's birth before having kids, because I'm pretty sure that would be a small minority...if everybody waited until they were old enough, mature enough, responsible enough and financially well off enough to have kids, nobody would've ever been born.
    co-signs
    Yeah, Birth Happens!

(Sometimes it's planned)
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:30 am

Supernova wrote:I'd sure like to know exactly HOW many parents HAVE foreseen being able to afford college 18 years down the road from their kid's birth before having kids, because I'm pretty sure that would be a small minority...if everybody waited until they were old enough, mature enough, responsible enough and financially well off enough to have kids, nobody would've ever been born.

It's actually not that silly a question to ponder, especially if a couple is planning to have children. If would-be mom and would-be dad are trying to make a baby, then they should also be drawing up a rough outline about budget and future finances for the child, and that includes college.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:32 am

Sure it's not a bad idea but would most parents actually be able to come up with that, and a semi-accurate one, before they decide to have kids?
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:46 am

I have to mostly agree with Supernova's reply....nobody knows what the situation will be almost two decades after they birth a child.

There are SO many reasons to not have a child...But, really, if someone that is childless thinks "I will never be able to pay for college tuition in 18 years...." then maybe they are self aware enough to hold off!!
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:05 pm

Marc™ wrote:Didn't wanna hijack Atown's other thread about college with this question. So if a couple is planning to have a child....or has an early accidental pregnancy....should their foreseeing being able to pay for college factor into whether or not they should ahead and bring a kid into the world?

First off, as other posters have mentioned, no one can predict their financial situation in 18 years. Second, if a person thinks that college or no college should decide whether or not they have a child, that says how sick that individual is. There are many deciding factors in having a child, but college is not one of them. Third, just because parents may not have the finances to pay for college in 18 years, that doesn't mean that the child cannot work (I know, a wild concept for students) to pay for college themselves. That's what my Mom did - she was a full-time student and afforded it by working three jobs simultaneously and graduated in four years with a degree in Sociology.

To answer your question, no. That's like saying "If I can't send my child to college, they might as well be unborn." Now that is ridiculous.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:41 pm

Why would they? Why should they?
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:13 am

No - I don't think that should factor into things. It's something to consider, but many parents set up RESPs for their kids that at least will help. I don't think it's a reason not to have children and shouldn't factor into the decision at all.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:01 am

Some things you have to play by ear, and college is one of them. But when a baby is on the way, parents should immediately start a college savings account, and sporadically put in as much as they can.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:43 am

Chris wrote:Some things you have to play by ear, and college is one of them. But when a baby is on the way, parents should immediately start a college savings account, and sporadically put in as much as they can.

SO true, Chris. Most of my son's money goes into his college fund, and I add to it and have for years now. I couldn't start adding it myself until he was about four, but from birth, any cash he got went into the bank.
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:59 am

Chris wrote:Some things you have to play by ear, and college is one of them. But when a baby is on the way, parents should immediately start a college savings account, and sporadically put in as much as they can.

co-signs Which is exactly what I'll do when I get six months along. I have a friend who when her son was born, she started an informal college collection for him that consisted of pennies, nickels, quarters, singles, 5's, 10's, 20's, etc. that she'd randomly throw into this big zip purse. One day it was stolen and she was heartbroken. Of course I didn't, but I wanted to tell her how foolish she was to not start a savings account at the BANK, rather than to keep all that lose money in a home "piggy bank".

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 5:42 pm