CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+7
wants2laugh
Tony Marino
Alan Smithee
Shale
Forgiveness Man
Supernova
Chris
11 posters

Should James Holmes (the Colorado shooter) get the death penalty?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Question Should James Holmes (the Colorado shooter) get the death penalty?

Post by Chris Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:52 pm

Should James Holmes (the Colorado shooter) get the death penalty? James-holmes-court-gi

I heard that prosecutors are pondering if they should seek the death penalty for the Colorado shooter. What do you think? Should he?
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Question Re: Should James Holmes (the Colorado shooter) get the death penalty?

Post by Supernova Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:09 pm

Who could have any doubt about that? Hell yes, we don't care if he wouldn't like prison, he shouldn't get free room and board on our tax dollars for the rest of his unnatural life. Get Crisco and Kingsford Charcoal to sponsor, and televise him being burnt at the stake and boiled in oil simultaneously.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:13 pm

He certainly had no problem administering the "death penalty." If anyone was a poster child for it, he's clearly on the short list.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:16 pm

This is a clear case where any painful end of life would be too good for this guy, but practically, if they could ensure he be kept in a cage without possibility of release until he dies it would lessen the circus of trying to get the death penalty with all its built in appeals process that goes on for more than a decade.

It's going to be a year before this asswipe's trial even starts. And, insanity defense is an obvious issue. Just hope they can keep him in a cage. IDK what the Colorado law says about insanity. I would like to see all states have a "insane but guilty" clause where it didn't matter why he did it but punish him for doing it.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:19 pm

If it's proven that he was mentally competent I would be very surprised if he didn't go the way of Timmy McVeigh.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:06 pm

Yes he should, twice or three times. He won't though we will support him with our tax dollars.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:00 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:If it's proven that he was mentally competent I would be very surprised if he didn't go the way of Timmy McVeigh.

There's no doubt about that either because you can't be insane and premeditate a massacre and carry it out so perfectly like he did.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:23 pm

Colorado does NOT have the "insane but guilty" law. In this law, one goes to a mental facility until they are pronounced "sane" then serve out their sentence. colorado is one of those states that does not have that. So he would go to a mental facility, then be released on the public once he is declared "sane".

Personally, I think he should be given life. The prisoners are already torturing him--- so let him suffer for the rest of his life. Death is too good for him
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Post by Suzi Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:27 pm

Thankfully Canada doesn't have the death penalty, so I don't have to think about it too much. I believe Holmes to be stark raving nuts, and civilized people do not execute that sort of person, at the same time if proper medication restores his sanity, he should never, and I do mean never be released from a prison or an institution for the criminally insane. I lean towards the institution actually at least until he is able to comprehend his crime.

By the way in the US it costs more to execute a person than to keep them until they die.

Last night on CNN I heard doctor say that when he heard about the rampage he guessed the shooter would be between the age of 18 and 25, as that is when schizophrenia usually becomes apparent in people. This shooters recent behaviors, his age, the shooting and then thinking he was the Joker seems to indicate a very very disturbed mind.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:07 pm

Suzi wrote:Thankfully Canada doesn't have the death penalty, so I don't have to think about it too much. I believe Holmes to be stark raving nuts, and civilized people do not execute that sort of person, at the same time if proper medication restores his sanity, he should never, and I do mean never be released from a prison or an institution for the criminally insane. I lean towards the institution actually at least until he is able to comprehend his crime.

By the way in the US it costs more to execute a person than to keep them until they die.

Last night on CNN I heard doctor say that when he heard about the rampage he guessed the shooter would be between the age of 18 and 25, as that is when schizophrenia usually becomes apparent in people. This shooters recent behaviors, his age, the shooting and then thinking he was the Joker seems to indicate a very very disturbed mind.

It's only expensive to execute because first the state gives these bastards an average of 27 years' worth of appeals before finally killing them, assuming they don't succumb to old age first.

And, the age thing is also where the FBI starts looking when they put a killer's profile together. They start at age 25 and depending on what they know based on the crime scene and what details they can put together there, go up or down from 25 based on that but usually they go younger with the excruciatingly violent ones.
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Post by Suzi Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:09 pm

So would you take away the right to appeal?
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:15 pm

I don't believe in the death penalty, but if they gave it to him....I wouldn't cry about it. Death is too easy. Put him in a 2X2 cell and let him rot for the rest of his natural life.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:19 pm

Give him life without parole, put him in general population & see how lucky he is.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:45 pm

Supernova wrote:

There's no doubt about that either because you can't be insane and premeditate a massacre and carry it out so perfectly like he did.

Really Dr. Nova?
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:09 pm

The legal definition of insane means that he didn't know what he was doing was wrong. So I don't buy that he snapped and did all this buying and planning on a schizo impulse, and then when the smoke cleared he came out of his cuckoo bird trance and THEN decided he must surrender for what he's done; surrendering shows he KNOWS that he committed a crime.
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:20 pm

Wouldn't feel bad if he got it but if I was the prosecutor I wouldnt push for it. Let him rot in Gen pop. From what I hear he aint too popular there already. That would probably kill him quicker than the death penalty.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:35 pm

RobbieFTW wrote:Wouldn't feel bad if he got it but if I was the prosecutor I wouldnt push for it. Let him rot in Gen pop. From what I hear he aint too popular there already. That would probably kill him quicker than the death penalty.

Irony of it all.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 5:41 pm