CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

5 posters

Never look a gifthorse in the mouth

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Never look a gifthorse in the mouth Empty Never look a gifthorse in the mouth

Post by Supernova Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:40 am

I think everybody remembers a while back I was making plans to get some movies to donate to the local library since their video selection is rather poorly. Well last July I had a box full of them, all tested to make sure they ran, all checked to make sure they weren't ex-rentals, etc., and I took them down to see if they wanted them. The librarian who sorted through them had doubts about all the ones she hadn't seen, she wasn't sure if they ought to take the Rambo movies because she wasn't familiar with them. She wasn't sure about My Girl because she didn't know about it, or Return to Oz, didn't want the original Halloween, and she rejected the original Garfield cartoons since she wasn't sure about them, as well as the silent horror/mystery classics Phantom of the Opera and The Cat and the Canary, though she did take the Buster Keaton and Charlie Chaplin DVDs.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe nobody would've wanted the ones that she didn't approve of and sent back with me, but I think they should've kept them to try, and if nobody did, they could pull them for the next sale later on.

In the end though they DID take:

21 Jump Street, Season 1
    First Blood
    First Blood II
    Scarface (1982)
    The Best of Buster Keaton
    Buster Keaton: The General and Steamboat Bill Jr.
    Charlie Chaplin: The Kid and Tillie's Punctured Romance
    My Girl
    When a Stranger Calls (1978)
    The Pagemaster
    The Neverending Story
    The Neverending Story II
    Thelma & Louise
    Matilda
    Return to Oz
    Dennis the Menace (1993)
    Highlander
    East of Eden
    Alice in Wonderland (1933)
    Night of the Living Dead (1968)
    Mr. Deeds Goes to Town
    Fahrenheit 451
    Metropolis (1927)
    Dog Day Afternoon
    The Poseidon Adventure
    Boom! A documentary of Hollywood's Greatest Disaster Movies
    Harold and Maude

And they rejected:

Phantom of the Opera
    The Cat and the Canary
    The Towering Inferno
    Earthquake
    Mad Max
    Garfield as Himself
    Garfield's Feline Fantasies
    Garfield's Holiday Celebration
    Garfield Travel Adventures
    Labyrinth
    Halloween
    Freaks (1932)

Now in the last couple of weeks I have noticed that of the ones they kept, and put out, Rambo 1 and 2, Scarface, 21 Jump Street, both Buster Keaton DVDs, Charlie Chaplin, The Pagemaster, Dennis the Menace, Return to Oz, and BOOM! have all been checked out, some more than once. Those are just the ones that I know are off the shelf currently. I'm glad that people are getting some use out of the ones they kept but I wish they'd been more open minded about the rest. I do think that's a weird policy though that if you're not familiar with a movie, you won't take it. That's just my opinion though, what's everyone else think about it?
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Never look a gifthorse in the mouth Empty Re: Never look a gifthorse in the mouth

Post by RedBedroom Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:14 am

Well, around here, they would have taken them all, but put them all directly for sale. Very few donations to our library go into circulation. They are just saved for the semi-annual sales.

since yours takes DVDs for circulation, I am surprised they didn't take the Garfields.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Never look a gifthorse in the mouth Empty Re: Never look a gifthorse in the mouth

Post by Supernova Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:39 am

I'm surprised too because who doesn't love Garfield? And these are the ORIGINAL cartoons, before the crappy computer animated one on CN now, before he was a Saturday morning cartoon, not everybody is going to have these.

And yeah, these probably would've wound up on a sale except I found out when the closest sale was, kept them for a week after, then took them down and specifically explained they were for the movie inventory, NOT the book sale. Though I still have the ones they rejected and the horror movies and the Garfield holiday one I'm going to take down again and see if they want them closer to Halloween. Shrugs (Oh well…) Maybe by then they'll have changed their minds.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:44 am

So she took the Rambo movies Highlander and Scarface but not Mad Max? Movies have an MPAA rating, so it should be easy enuf to know appropriateness for age. IDK why libraries don't do an age appropriate loan like they do in the movies. That way they should even have NC-17.

Still her decision seems rather arbitrary.
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Post by Suzi Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:18 pm

Even our cat Fancy loved the Garfield movie, she sat and watched the entire movie. How old was the librarian? The head librarian here is still fairly young and I suspect she would have taken the lot.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:31 pm

Suzi wrote:Even our cat Fancy loved the Garfield movie, she sat and watched the entire movie. ...

Did Fancy ever get to see Fritz the Cat? If so did she like it?
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:26 pm

Suzi wrote:Even our cat Fancy loved the Garfield movie, she sat and watched the entire movie. How old was the librarian? The head librarian here is still fairly young and I suspect she would have taken the lot.

She is I guess in her 60s, so yeah that might have something to do with it, but the part that I REALLY cannot believe is that she didn't know anything about Rambo. That makes no sense because even if you've never seen the movies, you have a general idea what they're about and know they're a big hit and very popular.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:27 pm

Shale wrote:So she took the Rambo movies Highlander and Scarface but not Mad Max? Movies have an MPAA rating, so it should be easy enuf to know appropriateness for age. IDK why libraries don't do an age appropriate loan like they do in the movies. That way they should even have NC-17.

Still her decision seems rather arbitrary.

Our library has no age restrictions like a video store does, so a child can get anything on their card, even the R-rated movies, which thrilled me because even after we got our video card limits changed, it would still go back to if it wasn't rated or if it was R rated we had to have our dad come down and clear it out. And I really don't think anybody has a problem with the library allowing this because around here you never hear about anybody complaining that their child got something 'inappropriate'.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:45 pm

How could you have gotten rid of Matilda?????????????????????????????? Smile
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:46 pm

Tony Marino wrote:How could you have gotten rid of Matilda?????????????????????????????? Smile

Because I have my own copy. big grin
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:52 pm

Supernova wrote:

Because I have my own copy. big grin

Ah ok I love that Movie!
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:57 pm

Tony Marino wrote:

Ah ok I love that Movie!

Me too! Though I do wish they would've done the scene from the book where early into her lessons in punishing the family, Matilda makes them all believe the house is haunted by borrowing a classmate's parrot and stuffing him up the fireplace and letting him squawk and talk all night long.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 11:03 pm