CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+6
Tony Marino
Cheaps
CeCe
Shale
Alan Smithee
RedBedroom
10 posters

You're at a pro baseball game and catch a fly ball...are you morally obligated to hand it over to a kid near you?

RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Sports You're at a pro baseball game and catch a fly ball...are you morally obligated to hand it over to a kid near you?

Post by RedBedroom Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:04 am

I tried to find a link to this story I heard today on some sort of news program. I think it was MSNBC. I was cleaning and didn't check to see what channel it was on. My friend's kid had turned the DVR on, so that's why I don't know.

Anyway...they were talking about a guy who caught a fly ball at a game and they were berating the guy for not handing it to some kid. And from what I could tell by listening to it, it was not a case of an adult taking it from a kid, or getting in the way of the kid catching it.

The commentators were saying things like, "You always had the ball over to the nearest kid," and "What adult keeps a fly ball for himself?"

So what do you think about this?

Personally, I don't think an adult is obligated to hand it over to a kid. What if they were going to take it home to their own kid? That's what I would do, if my son wasn't with me.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Sports Re: You're at a pro baseball game and catch a fly ball...are you morally obligated to hand it over to a kid near you?

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:29 am

What if the guy had a kid of his own? Frankly, this is the first time I've ever heard of The Little Kid Rule. It'd be a nice gesture but give me a break. As long as the adult doesn't wrestle the souvenir away from a kid.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Sports Re: You're at a pro baseball game and catch a fly ball...are you morally obligated to hand it over to a kid near you?

Post by Shale Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:31 am

I don't go to besbol games but I have seen on the news where men risk their lives and some have died trying to get that fly ball. I don't think they do that to hand it over to a strange kid who they have no connection with.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:54 am

Handing the ball to "the nearest kid" is bullshit. Taking one away or pushing a kid to get one is different obviously. But if you caught the ball it's yours. I love kids. I HAVE kids. But I'm seeing way too many indignant teary eyed spoiled brats in the news lately. Sorry they didn't catch the ball but life is filled with disappointments. They need to get used to that at an early age.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:58 pm

Unless the kid is my niece or nephew, the ball is mine.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:29 pm

I would probably give it to the kid.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:55 pm

I would have given it to the kid.. it would not truly be worth anything unless it was some really important game. Let the kid have the memory of not only a great game, but a great person who let him have the ball to the great game.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:34 pm

I think that's bull. I'm keeping that ball.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:55 am

If it doesn't come with a better prize, I'd prolly do it cause I hate sports. (Which begs the question of why I am at the game. lol)
    JM130ELM
    JM130ELM
    …is Necessary.
    …is Necessary.

Male
    Rep : 32

Post by JM130ELM Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:53 am

I never heard of this supposed rule either. If I'm feeling charitable, I might casually hand it to some unassuming kid who tried to catch it himself but wasn't a brat, but I'm under no obligation to.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 2:53 am