CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+9
wants2laugh
Nhaiyel
Cheaps
Nystyle709
CatEyes10736
Alan Smithee
Shale
CeCe
Chris
13 posters

Welcoming the product of an extramarital affair into the family.

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Question Welcoming the product of an extramarital affair into the family.

Post by Chris Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:33 am

Would you welcome a half-sibling into the family who was the product of one of your parents extramarital affair? If your other parent (who was cheated on) indicated to you that they would rather you didn't communicate with said sibling, would that be enough for you to not?
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Question Re: Welcoming the product of an extramarital affair into the family.

Post by CeCe Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:07 am

I do have a brother out there somewhere & I would definitely welcome him. I don't care what any other family members think about that.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:15 am

I have a history of not caring what my family members think of whom I accept as friends or lovers - so yeah I would accept the person as I do any other blood relative, depending on whether I liked that person or not. (I have very few family members that I am close to anyhow)
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:37 am

At this point in my life? As long as the person was decent/likable to begin with. Otherwise I would acknowledge them but they’re probably not getting invited to my family functions. If I found out my brother wasn't my father's son, I would still hug him tightly.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:50 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:At this point in my life? As long as the person was decent/likable to begin with. Otherwise I would acknowledge them but they’re probably not getting invited to my family functions. If I found out my brother wasn't my father's son, I would still hug him tightly.

Awww. blushing
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:07 pm

I'd be curious to meet them and if I found that they were likable and seemed worth knowing, I would embrace them. Far as my parent asking me to not have a relationship with them going, I'm an adult and I'll have in my life who I please. If it's that much of an issue for them, then I would just not bring this other sib around the rest of the family.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:08 pm

Chris wrote:Would you welcome a half-sibling into the family who was the product of one of your parents extramarital affair?

Yes.

If your other parent (who was cheated on) indicated to you that they would rather you didn't communicate with said sibling, would that be enough for you to not?

No.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:56 pm

^^^ What she said.
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:53 pm

I'd be willing to meet them. How much I sought to know them after that initial meeting would depend on how much we bonded during it. Far as my not having a relationship w/them at the behest of my scorned parent…meh…I can't imagine either of my parents being that selfish and vindictive to insist such a thing. If they did, like Cat said, I might scale back on speaking of them around that parent, but I wouldn't refuse to have anything to do with them because of it.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:37 am

I'd want to meet them.

One the other side of the coin, I had a friend that all thru school was an overachiever cause she was trying to gain mom's approval. She swore her mom hated her. When she went to college, she needed a copy of her birth certificate and felt that her dad was dragging his feet, so ordered it herself. Her mom was not her bio mom. Turned out the father cheated on his wife, had her with another woman, then brought her home for the wife to raise. years later, they had a bio son together... and my friend always felt the difference between them. Once she found out... her dad told her to get out, that he put the wife thru enough hell having raised her, and that he would only pay for one years college tuition. What an ass!
    TheEnglishButterfly
    TheEnglishButterfly
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Female
    Rep : 0

Post by TheEnglishButterfly Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:10 am

wants2laugh wrote:I'd want to meet them.

One the other side of the coin, I had a friend that all thru school was an overachiever cause she was trying to gain mom's approval. She swore her mom hated her. When she went to college, she needed a copy of her birth certificate and felt that her dad was dragging his feet, so ordered it herself. Her mom was not her bio mom. Turned out the father cheated on his wife, had her with another woman, then brought her home for the wife to raise. years later, they had a bio son together... and my friend always felt the difference between them. Once she found out... her dad told her to get out, that he put the wife thru enough hell having raised her, and that he would only pay for one years college tuition. What an ass!

WOOOOOOOOOW! What a DICK! Holy shit thats just insane!!!
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:07 am

From what my father told me in his final months, he has a son with a woman he was cheating on my Mama with for years and years. I met the woman several times after my Mama died. She is from St. Maarten and she was married at the time her and my father were carrying on. She even came to my father's funeral. All I know about him is his name is "Chris" (Yep) and he is somewhere around 19 years old and bi-racial. If my Mama had known about it and asked me not to bother I would have respected her wishes. I know she knew he was cheating on her but as a lot of women she just turned her back on it and basically ignored it. I know it hurt her a lot too. I am open to meeting him but since my father passed I have not seen or heard from this woman anymore so I guess I will never know. You guys are the first I have ever told this to!!
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:38 am

I have step brothers and step sisters, half brothers and half sisters. It is a big extended modern family mess.

My half brother and I admit that we have no way of knowing how many other half-siblings we may have in the world, knowing what a filanderer our dad was. (my mom left him when she caught him with another woman IN THE SAME APT BLDG!) Guy just couldn't keep it in his pants. (Oops, not far from the tree I guess).

Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:58 am

Tony Marino wrote:You guys are the first I have ever told this to!!

Welcoming the product of an extramarital affair into the family. Tumblr_m1076eyipw1r3zat8
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:09 pm

TheEnglishButterfly wrote:

WOOOOOOOOOW! What a DICK! Holy shit thats just insane!!!

Yeah, double down on that! Man, I hope that poor girl realizes her worth and finds someone to love her. On her way out the door, I hope she told her "mother", "At least I know why you've hated me all my life and I'm sorry but it wasn't MY fault. You're the one whose stuck with the shithead."
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:35 pm

Alan Smithee wrote: ...On her way out the door, I hope she told her "mother", "At least I know why you've hated me all my life and I'm sorry but it wasn't MY fault. You're the one whose stuck with the shithead."
    co-signs
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:31 pm

Probably not. My sister was born under slightly similar circumstances. My parents were separated when the old man jumped into bed with some broad he worked with and created her. For a long time I wanted little to do with her because in my mind accepting her would have been like letting him off the hook and I wanted him to know for sure that I thought that whole situation was tacky.

...and they were separated. If this had been an extra marital affair, then I probably would have thought worse than "tacky."
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:38 pm

Tony Marino wrote:From what my father told me in his final months, he has a son with a woman he was cheating on my Mama with for years and years. I met the woman several times after my Mama died. She is from St. Maarten and she was married at the time her and my father were carrying on. She even came to my father's funeral. All I know about him is his name is "Chris" (Yep) and he is somewhere around 19 years old and bi-racial. If my Mama had known about it and asked me not to bother I would have respected her wishes. I know she knew he was cheating on her but as a lot of women she just turned her back on it and basically ignored it. I know it hurt her a lot too. I am open to meeting him but since my father passed I have not seen or heard from this woman anymore so I guess I will never know. You guys are the first I have ever told this to!!

What a difficult situation, Tony. I am sure it was very difficult to have her attend your father's service.

Like you, I wouldn't have contacted a sibling if Mom had requested me not to.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:51 am

RedBedroom wrote:

What a difficult situation, Tony. I am sure it was very difficult to have her attend your father's service.

Like you, I wouldn't have contacted a sibling if Mom had requested me not to.

Once I got used to the idea that my father cheated on my mother and actually met the woman it was a bit easier. I never really forgave him for his cheating ways but I had to accept what it was for what it was. I know she cared about my father, even though what they did was wrong but I could not deny her seeing him one last time, that I got from my Mama, a good heart.

wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:53 pm

well tony, glad you got her good heart from mama Smile

as for my friend... i wish i could find her. After she couldnt afford college, she dropped out and met and married an older guy and they opened an interior design store in parsippany. he started beating her, and i offered for her to stay with me... but she would too proud to take handouts. i was married at the time, and i think that bothered her---seeing me in a decent relationship at the time was kinda painful for her.

i havent been able to find her in 15yrs... tried the internet, FB, white pages. I dont even know what name she is going by anymore... tried her classmates from high school... nothing sad
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:02 am

Tony Marino wrote:

Once I got used to the idea that my father cheated on my mother and actually met the woman it was a bit easier. I never really forgave him for his cheating ways but I had to accept what it was for what it was. I know she cared about my father, even though what they did was wrong but I could not deny her seeing him one last time, that I got from my Mama, a good heart.

Oh, Tony, you do have a good heart....and I don't mean I know this only from this instance...you are one great guy. I can't imagine you could be a better son that you are. My father wasn't faithful either and one of his long term girlfriends died when we still lived in Chicago. She had cancer. I had to watch him grieve her. So did Mom, obviously, but I truly don't even recall Mom's reaction to the death.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 8:32 am