CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+14
Alan Smithee
Marc™
Nystyle709
CeCe
DanaShelbyChancey
Suzi
Tony Marino
MandyPerfumeGirl
TPP
Shale
Impact
RedBedroom
Forgiveness Man
Chris
18 posters

Is there a way to 'affair-proof' a relationship?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Is there a way to 'affair-proof' a relationship? Empty Is there a way to 'affair-proof' a relationship?

Post by Chris Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:03 am

Do you think that there are things that couples can/should do to safeguard the relationship from one (or both) having an affair?
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Is there a way to 'affair-proof' a relationship? Empty Re: Is there a way to 'affair-proof' a relationship?

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:48 am

I don't think there is really a way to ensure that your spouse doesn't cheat. I believe one can merely decide for themselves that they won't cheat. IMO, if both partners are properly grounded in the way they're supposed to be, it's the most effective way possible. People underrate it but in my experience, it's worked.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Is there a way to 'affair-proof' a relationship? Empty Re: Is there a way to 'affair-proof' a relationship?

Post by RedBedroom Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:06 am

I don't think there is any way at all. Even couples that have a solid faith for years can go bust if one gets bored or whatever it is that makes them cheat.
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:25 am

Not really. "Communication" and all that generic stuff may delay it, but all couples if they're long lasting will hit a snag and the two will go through a period of disconnect that will leave the relationship potentially vulnerable to an outside dalliance. I say just be honest if you make a mistake. Realize that no one is perfect, ask yourself how important is the relationship and is it worth throwing away over a flaky indiscretion that could have actually meant nothing.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:32 am

I was with my wife for 18 years and never had an affair with another woman.

(OK, you lawyers saw thru the wording on that honest statement) big grin

Anyhow, I did get quite infatuated with a woman I met on a retreat. She was a fotografer, vegetarian, bisexual Scorpio with so many common interests. So, I get home and am exuberant about this woman I met - told my wife all about her. Wife was only concerned about how it impacted our relationship and suggested that I go visit her and get it out of my system. I didn't. Knew that we were too similar and one of us would kill the other within a week.

But I think understanding the forces that tug at ppl and giving freedom to your mate is more binding than trying to tie them down. Or at least this has been my experience.
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 69

Post by TPP Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:10 pm

Impact wrote:Not really. "Communication" and all that generic stuff may delay it, but all couples if they're long lasting will hit a snag and the two will go through a period of disconnect that will leave the relationship potentially vulnerable to an outside dalliance. I say just be honest if you make a mistake. Realize that no one is perfect, ask yourself how important is the relationship and is it worth throwing away over a flaky indiscretion that could have actually meant nothing.
    co-signs
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:18 pm

No, I don't think there's any way to make a relationship immune to affairs. Just do the best you can to please yourself and your partner and if after all that they still stray, hell with them.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:27 pm

Impact wrote:Not really. "Communication" and all that generic stuff may delay it, but all couples if they're long lasting will hit a snag and the two will go through a period of disconnect that will leave the relationship potentially vulnerable to an outside dalliance. I say just be honest if you make a mistake. Realize that no one is perfect, ask yourself how important is the relationship and is it worth throwing away over a flaky indiscretion that could have actually meant nothing.

Very well put Impact. Is there a way to 'affair-proof' a relationship? 566222
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Post by Suzi Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:19 pm

It was very simple, if I couldn't trust him I didn't want him. He's never done anything to make me feel I couldn't trust him. I always said if we got a divorce I wouldn't marry again because I would hate men, If he died I wouldn't marry again because no man could live up to him.

Poor Time, fact is even if he had wanted to have an affair he couldn't afford another woman.

Last edited by Suzi on Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
    DanaShelbyChancey
    DanaShelbyChancey
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Female
    Rep : 10

Post by DanaShelbyChancey Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:13 pm

No, you can't control whether there is an affair, you just hope for the best. I am married nearly 18 years come Sunday, and I have not had an affair and I know (of course, I fully believe) my husband has not, either.

Trusting someone is one thing, but you also have to trust that if it were to happen, an affair, you would do the right thing, what ever that may be.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:02 pm

No there's nothing that's 100%. The best you can do is to maintain trust & respect in the relationship. And as Impact said, communication. But no matter what you do there are still no guarantees.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:24 pm

Chris wrote:Do you think that there are things that couples can/should do to safeguard the relationship from one (or both) having an affair?

Don't be a couple.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:28 pm

My advice would be to just not have sex w/someone else.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:37 pm

Chris wrote:Do you think that there are things that couples can/should do to safeguard the relationship from one (or both) having an affair?

About the only way I think it can be done is to be involved with someone in a coma.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:14 am

alan smithee wrote:

About the only way I think it can be done is to be involved with someone in a coma.

To be on the safe side they would probably both have to be in a coma.
    MarQ-Boogie
    MarQ-Boogie
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 0

Post by MarQ-Boogie Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:03 am

There is no way to "affair-proof" a relationship but if you claim to love someone you wouldn't have an affair in the first place.

The majority of people in this generation nor society today know what love truly is- they only know lust.

True love doesn't negatively hurt anyone.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:28 am

MarQ-Boogie wrote:There is no way to "affair-proof" a relationship but if you claim to love someone you wouldn't have an affair in the first place.

The majority of people in this generation nor society today know what love truly is- they only know lust.

That is purely subjective, and true lovers do get bored, interested and lose interest in general, at times....
    MarQ-Boogie
    MarQ-Boogie
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male

Post by MarQ-Boogie Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:34 am

MarQ-Boogie wrote:There is no way to "affair-proof" a relationship but if you claim to love someone you wouldn't have an affair in the first place.

Love is NOT subjective.

Love is TRUE and this means if you say you love me you will NOT (bored with me or not) do anything to hurt me intentionally. You can't tell someone you love them and intentionally act selfishly and hurt them.

If that is the type of love you have or want in your life then I guess you are in for a life of hurt and pain but it won't happen with me.

If you say you love me you'll prove it.

I guess I believe in true love- not lust.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:50 am

Love is NOT subjective

?????

Love is probably the MOST subjective of all our defined bonds in life. Maybe you meant to say "true love" but even that is subjective due to the precarious "true".
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:08 am

I don't think love IS subjective. I think the infatuation often confused with love is what is subjective. IMO, TRUE love goes beyond the emotion. That is hardly subjective.
    MarQ-Boogie
    MarQ-Boogie
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male

Post by MarQ-Boogie Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:51 pm

Forgiveness Man wrote:I don't think love IS subjective. I think the infatuation often confused with love is what is subjective. IMO, TRUE love goes beyond the emotion. That is hardly subjective.

Thank you, I agree with this statement.

Love is not subjective.

People are so into lust and infatuation these days they confuse these two with love.

Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:02 pm

I agree. Lust and infatuation rule the day lately. But it does still exist I think. And when you do find it, you've really found something special. True love transcends preference and phases. It's a commitment.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:16 pm

be the nastiest, freakiest, slut in the bedroom, cuz wat u wont do some other b**ch will !! Smile
    MarQ-Boogie
    MarQ-Boogie
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male

Post by MarQ-Boogie Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:02 am

Forgiveness Man wrote:I agree. Lust and infatuation rule the day lately. But it does still exist I think. And when you do find it, you've really found something special. True love transcends preference and phases. It's a commitment.

Again, I agree 100 on this...
    DanaShelbyChancey
    DanaShelbyChancey
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Female
    Rep : 10

Post by DanaShelbyChancey Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:47 am

Also, it isn't 'affair-proof' but me and my husband like our life together the way it is, and neither of us wants to rock the boat. I am 55, and the idea of sneaking around having hot sex (even if) seems like a lot of trouble.

And he probably doesn't want the headaches I would cause him if he cheated.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 3:52 am