CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+2
Alan Smithee
RedBedroom
6 posters

Pass/Fail in gym class vs. grades

RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Pass/Fail in gym class vs. grades Empty Pass/Fail in gym class vs. grades

Post by RedBedroom Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:21 pm

What do you think of a pass/fail concept for gym vs. a grade issued?

I had not heard of it until last night at my son's high school orientation. I found out kids can opt for a pass/fail so that their grade point ave. is not affected should they be "a type of student not focused on athletics."

I'm very curious about the whole thing because I don't know what would be better for my son in regard to what colleges will look at. While he does very well in all aspects of gym class, he had issues in grade school with gym teachers who were very negative toward him because his sport of choice was racing motocross and not a team sport. He received a couple B's in gym back in grade school.

Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Pass/Fail in gym class vs. grades Empty Re: Pass/Fail in gym class vs. grades

Post by Alan Smithee Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:48 pm

Shrugs (Oh well…) If I was some Poindexter who was worried that gym was going to drag my GPA down maybe I would do the pass/fail. Maybe gym has changed since my day but to at least pass, all you had to do was show up in your gym clothes and at least try.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:25 pm

Yep what he said
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:33 pm

I believe my daughters P.E. class is set up similarly. Like 'S' (satisfactory) and 'U' (unsatisfactory.)

When it comes to gym, I would be more in favor of that than a letter grade. Really, PE should be graded more on willingness to participate than how good you are at whatever the activity is.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:19 pm

I suppose Pass/Fail seems more appropriate than a letter grade.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:53 pm

I got graded in P.E.....but I think pass/fail is a better option.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:13 pm

I remember my Spanish teacher having a loud argument in the hall with the gym teacher regarding her son's grade. It was going to f with is GPA and she was pissed. And her kid was athletic, but our guy teacher in h.s. was a total dick. I don't know if this is the norm or not, but we had a lot of written tests on rules of sports and scoring.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 6:27 pm