CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+7
wants2laugh
Marc™
Nystyle709
Alan Smithee
Cheaps
CeCe
RedBedroom
11 posters

What are your thoughts on a high end restaurant without a web site?

RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Food What are your thoughts on a high end restaurant without a web site?

Post by RedBedroom Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:48 pm

Maybe I am a snob, but I feel like any place that wants to deal in high end dining should at least maintain a basic website.

My reasoning is if I am to go with someone, I want to know we will both enjoy the menu and if I am treating, I want to know a general amount it is going to set me back. But that's only because I am cheap.

What do you guys think?
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Food Re: What are your thoughts on a high end restaurant without a web site?

Post by CeCe Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:01 pm

I agree. Hate to get that surprise anywhere so unless there's a site or someone gives me a ballpark figure about a place I've never been, I'm very unlikely to try them without that info.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:11 pm

That would be nice, but I really don't do high end dining.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:29 am

I think it's more "snobbish" if a place thinks they're so exclusive that they don't have to provide basic info to the general public. J. P. Morgan is supposed to have said, "If you have to ask, you can't afford it." Fuck you, J.P.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:57 am

Alan Smithee wrote:I think it's more "snobbish" if a place thinks they're so exclusive that they don't have to provide basic info to the general public. J. P. Morgan is supposed to have said, "If you have to ask, you can't afford it." Fuck you, J.P.

That quote has always fascinated me, Al. Well, I shouldn't say "always" just after Jay's business took off. There are so many in his social circle of snootish men who say that. It doesn't necessarily piss me off, but it always made me feel bad.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:08 pm

What are your thoughts on a high end restaurant without a web site? 2517814472

Whatever. Some places still do business on word of mouth rather than being online or trying to keep up with the internet age.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:48 pm

Honestly it hasn't been an issue. Most of them will be listed in some kind of internet directory with some kind of review. That's enough for me.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:04 pm

i admit.. i DO like to know a menu.... mostly cause im such a picky eater... no cheese no fish. I went to a restaurant once that there was only ONE item on the entire menu that did not have cheese... REALLY?
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Post by Bluesmama Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:33 pm

I do use the internet a lot to check out restaurants, and I think it's just dumb for those who don't post menus.
    But I'll tell you what I really hate, and that's restaurants that do have websites but don't provide the prices on their menus. Sorry, but I do not patronize those.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:24 pm

I don't really ever do true "high end." I believe a good business should have a fairly helpful website in today's day and age. But at the same time, we had decades of high end restaurants doing just fine before the age of the Internet. Odds are, if they've been around long enough, there should be SOMETHING on them online. Even if it's just reviews.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:13 pm

RedBedroom wrote:Maybe I am a snob, but I feel like any place that wants to deal in high end dining should at least maintain a basic website.

My reasoning is if I am to go with someone, I want to know we will both enjoy the menu and if I am treating, I want to know a general amount it is going to set me back. But that's only because I am cheap.

What do you guys think?

co-signs
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:54 pm

It is odd that in this day and age that any high end business wouldn't have a website. In situations like this, though, perhaps the lack of one is an attempt to maintain exclusivity.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:22 am

Bluesmama wrote:I do use the internet a lot to check out restaurants, and I think it's just dumb for those who don't post menus.
    But I'll tell you what I really hate, and that's restaurants that do have websites but don't provide the prices on their menus. Sorry, but I do not patronize those.

Oh, Blues, that's the worst...I do not like the few times I found myself looking at a menu sans prices. Has not happened often, but I don't want to be wondering what the damage is going to be.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:01 pm