CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+18
Alan Smithee
stavdash
Jason B.
FightSleep
Dan70
femme fatale
TSJFan4Ever
Nystyle709
CatEyes10736
Forgiveness Man
stonestatic
RiteDiva
Marc™
Alden
RedBedroom
Tony Marino
Nhaiyel
Chris
22 posters

How do you feel about women breast feeding in public?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

How do you feel about women breast feeding in public? Empty How do you feel about women breast feeding in public?

Post by Chris Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:21 pm

Like say, a woman breast feeds her baby on a bus or at a restaurant. Are you bothered by the sight of it, or does it not matter to you?
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

How do you feel about women breast feeding in public? Empty Re: How do you feel about women breast feeding in public?

Post by Nhaiyel Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:16 pm

When baby's gotta eat, he's gotta eat.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

How do you feel about women breast feeding in public? Empty Re: How do you feel about women breast feeding in public?

Post by Tony Marino Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:38 pm

Dosen't bother me, I have seen a few women breast feeding the little un!
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:23 pm

I am a mother and I breast fed (TMI, I know, sorry). But, I just don't dig breast feeding in public. I never did and don't really care to see it. And my opinion is that if a woman is classy, she will not whip out a boob in front of God and everybody.

I think that if a woman breast feeds, there are going to be public-ish situations where she needs to nurse, and if she uses a blanket, then, I'll deal. But I am so not into the whole milk factory business in the middle of a dinner party.
    Alden
    Alden
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 0

Post by Alden Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:58 am

Doesn't much bother me. If anything bothers me about breast feeding is mothers who don't ween their kids off of it by a certain age. A toddler should be able to drink from a cup.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:44 pm

I used to work at a department store and in front of the check out counter, there was a sitting bench. Once this woman sits at the bench and begins nursing her baby, right there in front of everybody. No blanket, nothing. Just open. And I'm thinking, is there not somewhere else she could be doing this? I'm steady trying not to stare and she's sitting there with this blank expression on her face, like just another day. The law protects a woman's right to nurse in public, but that doesn't make it any less tacky. Sometimes discretion is a good thing.
    RiteDiva
    RiteDiva
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 8

Post by RiteDiva Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:01 pm

I really don't see why it's such a big deal if a mother decides to nurse her baby in public. Just turn your head and not look if it's a sight that's so off-putting. Far as why can't the mother just use a bottle if she's going to be out goes, not all breast fed babies will accept being bottle fed. I have 2 kids. I didn't nurse my son, but I did my daughter. While I tried to be as "discreet" as possible when it came to feeding her when others were around, the bottom line is that her ultimately being fed was more important than discretion for the sake of other peoples comfort level.
    stonestatic
    stonestatic
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 24

Post by stonestatic Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:59 am

I don't know, it is stupid. The kid has to eat. I would rather have a mother feed her baby than hear the little twerp screaming at the top of its lungs in a ear shattering wave length while confined in a small space.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:08 am

I understand that the kid has to eat but I think that the woman should at least be considerate and try to do it in a more private setting or at least bring a blanket. Try not to do it in the middle of a shopping mall! Razz I am sure there have to be places that are somewhat more private. A corner of the food quarter with your back to everyone else at least?
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:24 pm

I think onlookers who're disturbed by the sight of a nursing mother need to learn to turn their heads. The child's feeding is frankly more important than the spectators discomfort.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:47 pm

Doesn't matter to me. Me personally, I would exercise a little discretion by covering up with a towel or something solely so that my nipple wouldn't be on display. But overall, I don't see what the big deal is when it comes to breast feeding in public.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:39 pm

I'm fine with it if a little discretion is used. Most people will have a blanket or one of those breast feeding covers. A women may talk about her rights to breastfeed but back in university, there was this very obese woman who would flop out her bare breast and begin feeding her daughter, right in the middle of the library while people were studying. I know some people were bothered by it, because she made NO attempt to cover anything up. Also, I don't know if mothers are thinking about who just might be watching - that teenage guy who's... well - enjoying the view, that old man who just can't help looking. It's not something I'd want my teenage sons ogling. Nursing in public is fine, if a little discretion is used.
    femme fatale
    femme fatale
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 46

Post by femme fatale Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:28 pm

My opinion is that breastfeeding in public is such an issue stems from the indoctrinated puritanical sensibilities embedded in the majority of people in the U.S. Bare breasts are no more evil than bare hands, bare heads, or bare legs. It is only possible with religion that one could be taught to be ashamed of oneself. There is nothing to be ashamed of with breastfeeding. The only shame here is that we would need a law to protect mothers breastfeeding their babies from perverted sensibilities of others.
    Dan70
    Dan70
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 6

Post by Dan70 Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:34 pm

Hey, I'm all for breastfeeding...just don't give ME a dirty look if I watch! Its like sexy clothing....women want you to notice.
    Seriously...I have no problem, my brothers wife did it at a fam gathering. But like any activity, one can't help watch what another is doing, whether they are fixing a meal, knitting, whatever. Averting the eyes is intentional.
    FightSleep
    FightSleep
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 1

Post by FightSleep Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:13 pm

It's a GREAT idea. Mothers should feel free to breast feed anywhere they want to. Covering up while breast-feeding should definitely NOT be required!

Sincerely,
    8th grade boys everywhere.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:56 am

CatEyes10736 wrote:I think onlookers who're disturbed by the sight of a nursing mother need to learn to turn their heads. The child's feeding is frankly more important than the spectators discomfort.
    It's less about being disturbed and more about people calling unnecessary attention to themselves. If a child needs changing, should somebody just do it in the middle of a public place just cause the child needs changing? There is a place for everything.

So if the child needs feeding, that is all well and good; the child should be fed. But I feel mothers should at least be considerate and try to do it in a way/place that calls the least amount of attention to themselves. Courtesy and respect go both ways. If you want it, give it.
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:56 am

I don't have a problem w/breast feeding mothers, but I do notice that some like to be extra smug about it if they even infer that someone around them may have a problem with the sight of it.
    stavdash
    stavdash
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Female
    Rep : 7

Post by stavdash Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:37 am

The breast was created to feed an infant–period.

The real issue is if the mom chooses to be discreet, or not. A friend of mine nursed three babies, but always went out of her way to be as discreet as possible, and while visiting someone's home would ask if she and baby could retire to an empty bedroom to feed. That, I have no problem with. I do not see why any nursing mother would have a problem with choosing to be discreet, as there is a difference between a human breast and a bottle.

The other issue comes when moms decide to breastfeed their toddlers. Just my opinion, but it seems as though this is something that the mom needs and not the child. At that point, it is a little disturbing.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:12 am

stavdash wrote:The real issue is if the mom chooses to be discreet, or not. A friend of mine nursed three babies, but always went out of her way to be as discreet as possible, and while visiting someone's home would ask if she and baby could retire to an empty bedroom to feed. That, I have no problem with. I do not see why any nursing mother would have a problem with choosing to be discreet, as there is a difference between a human breast and a bottle.

And neither will most people. It's whipping the boob out in front of everybody that people might take issue with. Yes, it might've been invented for that purpose but that doesn't mean everyone cares to see it. I think mothers should be discreet about it merely to be respectful of others.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:22 am

bump
    Anyone else?
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:55 am

I'm fine if a woman breatfeeds an infant in public. Yes, I would prefer she cover up but if she doesn't care about putting herself on display I can look away if it bothers me. But that's for infants. There are woman who continue to breastfeed after the kid learns how to tie his shoes. I draw the line there.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:54 am

femme fatale wrote:My opinion is that breastfeeding in public is such an issue stems from the indoctrinated puritanical sensibilities embedded in the majority of people in the U.S. Bare breasts are no more evil than bare hands, bare heads, or bare legs. It is only possible with religion that one could be taught to be ashamed of oneself. There is nothing to be ashamed of with breastfeeding. The only shame here is that we would need a law to protect mothers breastfeeding their babies from perverted sensibilities of others.
    co-signs
    OK, ppl on here already know that I am an old nudist going back to the body acceptance days of the late '60s. Also, those of us in the counter culture of that time (Hippies if you must) got back to nature, which included the young flower mothers nursing their babies at our communal functions. Why don't we do it in the road - no one will be watching us.

As for exposed female breasts, it is still against the Sharia, Taliban and Puritan law in most Moslem countries and the United States. New York is the exception because some activists took it to court and proved that it is unconstitutional to discriminate against women. In other words, I am about to go out jogging shirtless, but at the moment a girl can't do the same here in Florida. There are some naturist women taking this to court here at the moment, but FL more backward than NY.

How do you feel about women breast feeding in public? Barebreastsposterweb

Forgiveness_Man wrote:And neither will most people. It's whipping the boob out in front of everybody that people might take issue with. Yes, it might've been invented for that purpose but that doesn't mean everyone cares to see it. I think mothers should be discreet about it merely to be respectful of others.

However, we did make a law to protect nursing mothers from harrassment from prudes and it stipulates that it overrides any other state or local law on nudity. Personally, it is really lame that a woman can't just take off her shirt in public like I can. I have nipples - what makes mine OK and hers not. Again, back to that backward Sharia that our culture takes for granted.

Alden wrote:Doesn't much bother me. If anything bothers me about breast feeding is mothers who don't ween their kids off of it by a certain age. A toddler should be able to drink from a cup.
    So, if the mother wants to continue feeding her toddler breast milk, she should milk herself into a cup? Sounds less sanitary and more inconvenient to me. BTW, some cultures do nurse their children up to five years. Unecessary once the kid has teeth but sometimes it may be the only food source available.

How do you feel about women breast feeding in public? Doroth10

Last edited by Shale on Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:10 am; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : add a stupid quote)
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:28 pm

FightSleep wrote:It's a GREAT idea. Mothers should feel free to breast feed anywhere they want to. Covering up while breast-feeding should definitely NOT be required!

Sincerely,
    8th grade boys everywhere.

ROFLMAO!
    Ghost1P
    Ghost1P
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 6

Post by Ghost1P Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:32 am

What is the REAL difference between a mother who breast feeds and a woman just whippin' them bad boys out just because. Yeah, yeah, Yeah. I know. She's feeding her baby. But its not about feeding her child its really about some level of decorum. If its ok to pop a it out for feeding then it should be ok for women to go bare bra for just about another other reason.

"I'm feeding my child" is used to elicit an emotion response.
    DarkOblivion
    DarkOblivion
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 4

Post by DarkOblivion Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:46 am

Not PC but I'm not a fan of breastfeeding mothers in public. If a mother is gonna nurse, I think the decent thing to do is to do it at home or in a private place behind closed doors. When out with the baby, use a bottle. What's the problem with that? They have pumps so that the breast milk can go into bottles.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 2:25 am