CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+2
Supernova
Jason B.
6 posters

What Does "Separate-But-Equal" Mean to You?

Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

What Does "Separate-But-Equal" Mean to You? Empty What Does "Separate-But-Equal" Mean to You?

Post by Jason B. Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:20 am

As I was reading over the Wikipedia article I posted in the thread about school busing, it made mention of the "separate but equal" policy that used to be in place before desegregation took affect. Just about everyone agrees that separate but equal" is never actually equal, but I'm curious to know what your own interpretation of this is, and do you think it ever may have had any advantages?
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

What Does "Separate-But-Equal" Mean to You? Empty Re: What Does "Separate-But-Equal" Mean to You?

Post by Supernova Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:24 am

Seperate but equal, to me always goes back to when integration was still a new term, and some blacks didn't want to be in the same places as whites, they just wanted the same jobs, homes, opportunities, businesses, etc., as white people did but in a different area. And you know, to have that here or there, in a few neighborhoods, I guess that would be alright but to have it all over it would make you wonder, you're on this side, they're on that side, WHAT happens if somebody goes over to the other side?
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

What Does "Separate-But-Equal" Mean to You? Empty Re: What Does "Separate-But-Equal" Mean to You?

Post by RobbieFTW Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:25 am

It means: "you're not go enough to mix it up with the status quo and have access to the better things in life that they're afforded, but since we have to tolerate your kind because you won't go away. . .here ya go, take this off name brand cereal that we made just for your kind. Doesn't have quite the same rich flavor but it tastes almost as good. Be sure you don't eat it where the majority will be burdened by your presence."
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:41 am

do you think it ever may have had any advantages?

Only for bigots.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:19 am

It was a conscience allaying term but the term itself says it all. "Separate but Equal" denotes an inequality.

And, while I am sure there were blacks in America who wanted to be separate from the whites, it was a white construct to preserve racial purity and keep them black ppl somewhere else.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:16 pm

It means that when it comes to types of people, certain types aren't considered good enough to have what others do....so they come up with something of lesser value and try to pass it off as being just as good.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:06 am