CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

5 posters

Would you report a drunk driver?

RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Would you report a drunk driver? Empty Would you report a drunk driver?

Post by RedBedroom Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:53 pm

I am assuming here, but I am thinking that the majority of people have known that someone has let a drunk driver leave their house or a bar they were at and did nothing. I am guilty of that, though when it happened at my house, I was so guilty that it was the one and only time.

Tonight, I stopped at the liquor store and the guy ahead of me was so drunk. It is in an area where a lot of people walk there, so I assumed he was walking. Well, he introduced himself to me insisting we had met before and asked my name. I told him my real name as I was being carded at the time and did not want to be denied my champagne. After he lingered, I rushed to my car, in fear he would ask me for a ride. Well, in the lot, he called me by name and asked if we could "get to know each other". I told him that my husband would not like that, and he got into a vehicle, much to my surprise, as I assumed he had walked. I did nothing, and don't think I ever would have, though now I feel funny about it.

How much responsibility do we have when we know someone is sloshed and getting behind the wheel?
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Would you report a drunk driver? Empty Re: Would you report a drunk driver?

Post by Tony Marino Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:57 pm

I probably would call 911 and report the drunk driver and give his license plate number to the cops. I have never been in the situation but its something to think about Red.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:05 am

Yeah, Tony, I am thinking that is what I should have done in this situation. Around here, though, it is impossible to be out at a bar and not see someone leave who shouldn't be. I guess that is part of the reason I don't desire to go out anymore. But, to see it at the liquor store is a first for me, and I did the wrong thing, I think, by ignoring it.

However, through hearing his conversation with the clerk, it was his second visit of the day. So, I really did not expect him to have a vehicle there. Next time, I will make a better judgement.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:08 am

RedBedroom wrote:Yeah, Tony, I am thinking that is what I should have done in this situation. Around here, though, it is impossible to be out at a bar and not see someone leave who shouldn't be. I guess that is part of the reason I don't desire to go out anymore. But, to see it at the liquor store is a first for me, and I did the wrong thing, I think, by ignoring it.

However, through hearing his conversation with the clerk, it was his second visit of the day. So, I really did not expect him to have a vehicle there. Next time, I will make a better judgement.

Just don't confront them alone Red, you did the right thing by not confronting him, especially in a parking lot and if no one else was around.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:11 am

In a case like that, I would call 911. If I was with a friend, I'd drive them home or call a cab. The laws have REALLY been toughened up where I live with heavy fines and police given the right to impound vehicles on the spot (and lock them up for up to a month) if they feel someone is too over the limit or if they're driving with excessive speed. There was a news story a couple of months ago about the cops impounding a Ferrari going over 200 km/h. The driver was racing another driver in a car worth over $200 000. It's the most expensive car that's been impounded - lol! Guy was banned form driving for 2 week - can't remember how long the car was locked up for, though I think it was a month.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:48 am

Back almost 40 years ago when I was young and stupid (yes, instead of old and stupid like now), I worked part time at a sandwhich shop. One really slow Sunday a guy comes in and he was obviously shit faced. I gave him his food and then watched him weave his way across the street to his car, get in and throw what looked like an empty pint bottle out the window and drive off. I don't think there was any way to stop him short of a physical confrontation but it still bothers me when ever I think about it. Gee. Thanks Red for bringing it up!!! Wink But congratulations on still getting carded!! Anyway. If that kind of thing happened today, no question I would be on my cell phone to the police.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:48 am

Congrats on still getting carded.... FML even someone who has never seen my pic knows I look old as fuck.

LOL, Just pulling your leg, Alan.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:33 am

Red, I know no such thing.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:02 pm

I've only been in one situation like this several years ago when a guy in the parking lot after a concert was heading to his car with his wife or girlfriend. He was sloshfaced drunk. We were going to write his plate number down but the woman saw us because she turned around & looked right at us. She stuffed him in the passenger side & we let it go. There's no way this guy could have driven. He needed help to walk.

But you never should put yourself in a dangerous situation by confronting them in any way.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:24 pm