CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+7
TSJFan4Ever
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
Supernova
Alan Smithee
Forgiveness Man
Shale
Chris
11 posters

Are you annoyed by businesses being closed on Sunday?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Are you annoyed by businesses being closed on Sunday? Empty Are you annoyed by businesses being closed on Sunday?

Post by Chris Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:55 am

Does it annoy you when businesses are closed on Sunday?
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Are you annoyed by businesses being closed on Sunday? Empty Re: Are you annoyed by businesses being closed on Sunday?

Post by Shale Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:08 am

Not many are. Our most popular grocery store closes on Xmas and some other Christian religious holiday, maybe Easter - so we have to plan ahead for that.

When I was a kid in Missouri all the stores except drug stores and a few convenience stores were forced to close on Sunday BY LAW. One of the big chains took it to court and the law did not pass constitutional muster.

Why Sunday if you insist it's only because workers need a day off? Why not Monday? It was clearly a Christian dominant law. So, today if I want, I can go to Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target or almost any other store I want to because most are open.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Are you annoyed by businesses being closed on Sunday? Empty Re: Are you annoyed by businesses being closed on Sunday?

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:13 am

Most aren't anymore and why should I be upset? It's their business. Why Sunday? Why not Sunday? If it's a Christian-run business, it's their right. I got 6 other days to go there. So does everyone else.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:49 am

Chris wrote:Does it annoy you when businesses are closed on Sunday?

Not really. As Shale said, not many are closed on Sunday. I remember when "blue laws" were wide spread in NJ. Now in just one part of the state.

New JerseyIn 1677, the General Assembly of East New Jersey banned the "singing of vain songs or tunes" on Sabbath.

One of the last remaining blue laws, actually non-religious Sunday Closing laws, in the United States that covers selling electronics, clothing and furniture is found in Bergen County, New Jersey.

Bergen County, part of the New York City metropolitan area is home to the largest retail than any other county in the nation, and home to four major malls. Due to stricktly enforced laws, malls are closed on Sundays. Virtually everything is closed on Sundays except grocery stores, restaurants and movie theathers.

Town of Paramus in Bergen County, where three of the four major malls are located in, have even more restricted blue laws than the county itself, banning all type of work on Sundays except grocery stores and restaurants (outside malls).

I was working in retail when they were repealed in my county and I was so pissed that I had to work some Sundays.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:57 am

I live in a small town so a lot of businesses ARE closed on Sunday, and on one hand, you know, they're entitled to a day off every week, but there are times I wish everything was open 7 days a week like in other towns.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 62

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:01 pm

Yes. It's not a problem when I'm Boston, but I also split my time between the US and Germany. I don't care about malls or department stores, but I do think that smaller grocery stores like Rewe or Aldi should be open on Sundays in case of emergency.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:54 am

Not really. Most of the places I need to go would be open and the ones that aren't... well - I know that so I go one of the other 6 days.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:45 am

Shale wrote:Why Sunday if you insist it's only because workers need a day off? Why not Monday? It was clearly a Christian dominant law. So, today if I want, I can go to Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target or almost any other store I want to because most are open.

Sunday makes the most sense because more people are off work that day, and children are off school, therefore it affords people family time.

It doesn't bug me at all when they are closed because all I need to do is plan ahead.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:25 pm

RedBedroom wrote: Sunday makes the most sense because more people are off work that day, and children are off school, therefore it affords people family time.

It doesn't bug me at all when they are closed because all I need to do is plan ahead.
    Yeah, I guess that would be the rationale in Christendom, but I live on Miami Beach where the Jews are off on Saturday. But they don't make laws demanding businesses close on Saturday (Orthodox Jews probably close their personal business since they don't even use cars to get around on the Sabbath).

Interesting how some communities in Christendom don't charge on parking meters on Sunday. Not here - our parking meters are strictly non-sectarian - you pay seven days a week.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:41 pm

It's not the rationale in Christiandom, it is basic marketing. People want to close one day, they do it on the day that a majority of people dedicate to family and when even singles are less mobile. If there was a shift in all this and people became more fiscally active on Sunday than Saturday, then it would change as such.

In general, people know to check if a smaller place is open on a Sunday. Say I need pants hemmed. It is ingrained in me to call ahead to see if they would be open on a Sunday, and also check to see if they close early Saturday. I don't expect them to be closed on a Wednesday. So, it's bad for business to pick your random day to be closed to be on a week day.

I have lived in a small town before, and in small towns you do see the day off be more random because the population is less, weekend profits need to be maximized, and people learn the day it's closed. You just don't see it as often in larger cities.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:11 pm

My barber is closed on Sunday and I find that annoying....
    I think what irritates me the more though is when places close EARLY on Sunday (and Saturday.)
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:58 pm

It's annoying but certainly their right to close. But businesses that are closed on Sunday can be less likely to get my business just because I'm a creature of habit & convenience. I'm starting to move away from a pharmacy because they close on Sunday.
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:09 pm

Most of the places I shop aren't closed on Sunday, but may close early. It's not really a big deal, Sunday isn't a "shopping" day for me anyway, I tend to do that on Saturday.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 3:25 am