CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+12
CeCe
2xy
RobbieFTW
Forgiveness Man
Alan Smithee
Marc™
Impact
Wadsworth
Chris
TSJFan4Ever
Supernova
RedBedroom
16 posters

Should kids' music be censored?

TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 69

Should kids' music be censored? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should kids' music be censored?

Post by TPP Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:25 pm

alan smithee wrote:
    thepossiblepolice wrote:My kids LOVE The Simpson's but I don't let them watch Family Guy. I think there is a big difference in the content of the two shows and I've seen more than my share of both of them because my husband loves them.

For the music question though, I don't think that I would censor what they listen to, but if I hear something that goes against my values then I will definitely talk to them about it and make sure that they know that I disagree with the values being presented by the music.

My kids are all 9 and under so this hasn't been an issue for us yet.

TPP, I'm not sure why you wouldn't let your kids watch The Family Guy but you would let them listen to "Who Are You" with Roger Daltry repeatedly asking "Who the fuck are you?"

haha, maybe I'm naive about what kind of music they will be listening too.

I don't let them watch Family Guy because I don't want to have to explain things like Lois having sex with the dog.

ETA: When I was a kid I listened to U2 Achtung Baby and my mom threw out my CD because she didn't want the neighbors thinking I was having a "Pot party" in my room...That's the kind of thing that I will not be doing and what I was thinking of. That and the way women are portrayed in some rap music, stuff like that.

Last edited by thepossiblepolice on Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Should kids' music be censored? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should kids' music be censored?

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:27 pm

thepossiblepolice wrote:
    alan smithee wrote:

TPP, I'm not sure why you wouldn't let your kids watch The Family Guy but you would let them listen to "Who Are You" with Roger Daltry repeatedly asking "Who the fuck are you?"

I don't let them watch Family Guy because I don't want to have to explain things like Lois having sex with the dog.

Oh please don't misunderstand. I'm not faulting you for not letting your kids watch Family Guy.
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 69

Post by TPP Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:30 pm

alan smithee wrote:
    thepossiblepolice wrote:

Oh please don't misunderstand. I'm not faulting you for not letting your kids watch Family Guy.

lol, I'm so shocked by that show!
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:09 pm

2xy wrote:
    Forgiveness Man wrote:Don't take things so personally! Wink I'm merely commenting on your mindset like you commented on another mindset that works for many people and that you don't have to live with. Wink

Not really. My comment was about how I raise my children. Your comment was about how I raise my children. That sort of makes it personal. I didn't criticize how anyone else raises their children; I just mentioned that a particular way is not my preference.
    My comment was about your comments. Razz

RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:28 pm

alan smithee wrote:
    RedBedroom wrote:I just have the thought process that some of those shows are not artistic installments that are worthy of justification, yet any musical artist is worthy, no matter lyric or intent.

This is one of those times we're not going to agree, Red. There's vastly more potential for your son to hear something you would otherwise consider inappropriate than to see it on a prime time cartoon. It makes it OK for him to hear because it's artistic expression?

That's ok, Alan...we don't have to agree. And I know that I am being hypocritical based on my opinion. It's just the way it is here.
    2xy
    2xy
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 22

Post by 2xy Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:32 pm

Marc™ wrote:I'd much rather my kids watch a TV-14 rated show than listen to a CD with a sticker on it. Family Guy may be suggestive and implicit....but it's still more subtle and easier to dismiss than graphic language on a stickered album.

I don't really see much of a difference. I love Family Guy....but I can't bring myself to call it implicit. There's no bad language, but there is a lot of violence, blood, degrading behavior, etc. Definitely explicit.

This is another thread where I'd like to see the word "kid" defined. Six years old? 11? 14?

Anyway, music for "kids" should not need censoring, which I think was already stated upthread. Just because a kid watches or listens to something, doesn't make it kid's music or kid's programming.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:47 pm

RedBedroom wrote:That's ok, Alan...we don't have to agree.

Oh yes we do!!

big grin
    sailorlover
    sailorlover
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 2

Post by sailorlover Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:45 pm

alan smithee wrote:
    RedBedroom wrote:I just have the thought process that some of those shows are not artistic installments that are worthy of justification, yet any musical artist is worthy, no matter lyric or intent.

This is one of those times we're not going to agree, Red. There's vastly more potential for your son to hear something you would otherwise consider inappropriate than to see it on a prime time cartoon. It makes it OK for him to hear because it's artistic expression?

Absolutely true! Children's music should be censored! Just because they may hear it at school does NOT make it right for them to listen to it in my house, the car I drive or the I-pod I bought! Sure I may swear like a sailor sometimes, that doesn't mean my children will. Children are children and adults are adults. There is a distinct difference! That is why they are not a legal adult till they are 18, there is a reason for that! I have listened to some of the songs that these kids now days put on facebook and can I say OMG! Are you frickin crazy? That is not music. That is just a bunch of people screaming and making noise. For example the scream metal. There is no reason for children to be listening to that type of music. JMO

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 6:03 am