CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+11
Marc™
TSJFan4Ever
Nhaiyel
RedBedroom
Nystyle709
Supernova
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
MandyPerfumeGirl
CeCe
Forgiveness Man
Tony Marino
15 posters

How do you feel about supermarket self checkouts?

Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

How do you feel about supermarket self checkouts?  Empty How do you feel about supermarket self checkouts?

Post by Tony Marino Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:04 pm

Use them frequently? Avoid them? Only for 2 or 3 items? Thoughts?
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

How do you feel about supermarket self checkouts?  Empty Re: How do you feel about supermarket self checkouts?

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:07 pm

I like the concept but the ones I've been to are more burdensome than they are worth. And try to use a coupon? You gotta "wait for an attendant." Doesn't that kind of defeat the entire purpose?

So yeah, in theory I like the concept, but they got a long way to go before I see myself using them regularly.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

How do you feel about supermarket self checkouts?  Empty Re: How do you feel about supermarket self checkouts?

Post by CeCe Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:27 pm

They're great for people who are only buying a few things & want to just be in & out. Unfortunately a lot of people don't understand the purpose of them & just want to play cashier, check out $200 worth of groceries & even worse--bring things that have to be weighed.

Last edited by CeCe on Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : repeating myself-again)
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:43 pm

I hate those stupid things. Even so, I might use them with just a couple of items, but even then it can be irritating because sometimes the employees have to put in their "code" for some reason or another, and like FM said, that defeats the whole goddamned purpose. It's also not a good idea because what if someday we all use them eventually? Then that will put cashiers right out of work. We're relying too much on technology instead of real people.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:47 pm

Myself, I prefer to go to a cashier, I have had to much damned trouble with those things and the attendant always has to come over and fix something.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 62

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:51 pm

Those things are so temperamental. Love the idea; hate the execution.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:05 pm

We don't have them here, thankfully.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:00 pm

I don't like them when they don't have a limit on the number of items you can take to the checkout. Like anybody could come up to the self checkout with a cart full of shit, and you have to wait behind them with your 3 items. It's annoying. And I've noticed that they've gotten slick over the years. I remember when self checkout was first introduced....people were stealing items by just putting them in the bag and not ringing them up. Now, the bags are on a scale which they are weighed and you can't take the bags off of the scale until you are finished paying.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:28 pm

Tony Marino wrote:Myself, I prefer to go to a cashier, I have had to much damned trouble with those things and the attendant always has to come over and fix something.

Same here. Usually it messes up so it defeats the purpose. My son likes to do it, so if he is along and we have a couple things, I indulge him.
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:44 pm

I just think it's funny how the live checkers will have these short little lines, while the U-scans have crowds wrapped around the corner. Quick and easy becomes lengthy and convoluted.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:06 am

If I'm not buying a lot, I'll use them. I like them for smaller grocery shops, but not for larger ones.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:49 am

I don't know what's more annoying, customers who flock to them like the Magnum @ Cedar Point....or running into a scanning error that holds up the whole process and can only be resolved by a live checker. They're ok....but I'll just as easily go to regular checker if the line is shorter.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:14 pm

I've used them at the larger "box" stores I go to if I just have a couple of items with no problem but when I go to the grocery store I usually go to the express lane because I'm only there to pick up a few things anyway.
    femme fatale
    femme fatale
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 46

Post by femme fatale Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:17 pm

I like them. I'd rather scan my own items than have someone else do it.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:02 pm

Almost made a break for one today. In the express line with sausage, cream cheese & potato salad when the cashier "ran out" of change for the customers in front of me. But figured as soon as I tried 12 other people would beat me there & then the thing would lock up.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:17 pm

They're a hassle when you have fruit, or anything without a bar code. You have to punch in this random 'product code,' which can be located anywhere. Then when an attended has to come over to assist, half the time they act as if you're silly for not knowing this stuff. I prefer a human checker.
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:59 am

For less than 10 items I use them, but if it's over that much I go to a real life checker so that someone else can at least bag it for me.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 4:11 am