CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+16
RiteDiva
MarQ-Boogie
Dario Western
JM130ELM
captainbryce
Forgiveness Man
TPP
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
CeCe
MandyPerfumeGirl
Nystyle709
Tony Marino
Impact
Alan Smithee
Shale
Chris
20 posters

At what age should kids *stop* getting the belt?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

At what age should kids *stop* getting the belt? Empty At what age should kids *stop* getting the belt?

Post by Chris Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:08 am

If you are in favor of corporal punishment, do you believe that there is a certain age when parents should stop using this as a method of discipline?
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

At what age should kids *stop* getting the belt? Empty Re: At what age should kids *stop* getting the belt?

Post by Shale Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:43 am

Ppl still beat their kids with belts? Shocked

My mother used one on me as a small kid - my dad used his hand on my butt. I prefer just one good smack to the butt to emphasize that I am physically in control of an out of control kid, but don't really think I would use a belt on a kid. It just sounds like too formal a strategic punishment. I prefer tactical assertion.

Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

At what age should kids *stop* getting the belt? Empty Re: At what age should kids *stop* getting the belt?

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:29 am

My mother broke a wooden coat hanger over my thigh when I was 7 for what I know wasn't bad behavior on my part. She just ran out of patience trying to teach me how to tell time. It wasn't one of those big, heavy ones but it was big enough. Oh but sorry. The question was if you're in favor of corporal punishment.
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:31 am

Really depends on the kid but to throw out a random # I say by age 12 a hand on the backside has become pointless and is just the parent lashing out from anger and frustration.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:50 am

My father hit me on the head with a broom stick when I was about 10 years old so I would never hit a kid with any object other than my hand. I say that at 11 or 12 it would stop and more mental punishment like no TV or up to the room, or grounding them would be more effective.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:53 am

^^Sorry, Tony. I feel your pain. Literally.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:59 am

alan smithee wrote:^^Sorry, Tony. I feel your pain. Literally.

Thanks Al, my Dad was a monster but I think in some warped way his brutality made me into a better man because I would never want to be like him and I am not.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:08 pm

Tony Marino wrote: ...my Dad was a monster but I think in some warped way his brutality made me into a better man because I would never want to be like him and I am not.

I can't really remember any punishment from my dad but I was afraid of him as a child, so he probably instilled that in me very young.

One of the most frightening sights was him coming at me putting his cigarette in his mouth. I knew that was to free up both his hands.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:17 pm

Some kids need it up until they're 25. I'll give you the belt up until you stop living in my house.
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:22 pm

If I were in favor of this kind of punishment (which I'm not), I would say age 11 or 12. My Mom never used a belt on me, but she used to spank me up until the age of 5 and I remember the last time she did it she broke down in tears and said she'd never hit me again. And she never did. A great lady with a great conscience.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:15 pm

Tony Marino wrote:
    alan smithee wrote:^^Sorry, Tony. I feel your pain. Literally.

Thanks Al, my Dad was a monster but I think in some warped way his brutality made me into a better man because I would never want to be like him and I am not.

My mother was a nut so I understand what you're saying. I think in a situation like that one of two things happen. The behavior is repeated or the cycle is broken. For me, like you, I learned how to not treat people because of the way she behaved.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 62

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:27 pm

Age 0.
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 69

Post by TPP Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:20 pm

It's illegal most places to hit your child with an object these days.

I don't believe in spanking, but the general consensus amongst child development experts is that spanking should only be used from age 3-6 (if at all, most of them are against it all together). Before 3 they are too young to understand punishments like that, after age 6 they are old enough that you have to hit them too hard for it to be safe and have an impact on them.
    After puberty it can be considered sexually abusive.

Again, I would never hit a child, ever.

My mom used whatever was in her hand when she got pissed at me...Including but not limited to: a hot curling iron, a belt, a wooden spoon (her fav because she said she couldn't hit you too hard with it because it would break before that happened), her shoe, a brush...
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:22 pm

thepossiblepolice wrote:

My mom used whatever was in her hand when she got pissed at me...Including but not limited to: a hot curling iron, a belt, a wooden spoon (her fav because she said she couldn't hit you too hard with it because it would break before that happened), her shoe, a brush...

Yours & mine could have been BFF's.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:32 pm

I don't like "the belt" but I think by 7/8, spanking has outlived it's usefulness.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Post by captainbryce Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:00 am

Forgiveness Man wrote:I don't like "the belt" but I think by 7/8, spanking has outlived it's usefulness.
    In another rare occurance, I agree!

Mostly (from a psychological standpoint) children typically reach the age of "reason" by around age 7 - 8, at which point much more effective forms of discipline can be used. You spank a 3 year old for trying to touch a hot plate or a 5 year old for trying to scale a dangerous high rail because they are incapable of reasoning and you want to scare the shit out of them to protect them from physical tangible danger! Parents who continue to employ corporal punishment past 8 (and certainly past 12) are LAZY and don't really want to "parent" so much as "dictate through intimidation and fear" for their convenience. It's definetely much easier to just beat your kid for lying to you, stealing from your wallet, comming home past 11 pm or getting suspended from school, than it is to actually try to solve the "problem" of why they felt like they had to do that in the first place.
    JM130ELM
    JM130ELM
    …is Necessary.
    …is Necessary.

Male
    Rep : 32

Post by JM130ELM Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:00 am

As soon as they reach the age of knowing better than to do something to warrant them getting their butts whooped, and not doing it.
    Dario Western
    Dario Western
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 2

Post by Dario Western Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:59 am

Violence breeds violence. There are better ways of disciplining a child than striking them. To hit a child means that you do not have any sense of self-control.

MarQ-Boogie
    MarQ-Boogie
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 0

Post by MarQ-Boogie Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:09 am

Kids outlive the belt by 10 or 11 and by then need to be jacked up and thrown somewhere lol on the real.

These kids these days need they azz beat on the regular and trust me they'll be better off.

When you are taught, raised and learned these things through a good 'ole fashioned azz whippin' your children come out better.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:56 am

MarQ-Boogie wrote:Kids outlive the belt by 10 or 11 and by then need to be jacked up and thrown somewhere lol on the real.

These kids these days need they azz beat on the regular and trust me they'll be better off.

When you are taught, raised and learned these things through a good 'ole fashioned azz whippin' your children come out better.

Sorry, but you sound like one crude, poorly educated, southerner like those that I grew up with.
    RiteDiva
    RiteDiva
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 8

Post by RiteDiva Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:23 am

I think "12" is the median age most parents who use this method of discipline taper off of it. That was the last time my momma came at me with a strap. From then on it was punishments and restricted privileges.
    MarQ-Boogie
    MarQ-Boogie
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male

Post by MarQ-Boogie Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:29 am

MarQ-Boogie wrote:Kids outlive the belt by 10 or 11 and by then need to be jacked up and thrown somewhere lol on the real.

I'm glad I'm not one that cares about the opinions of others.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:49 am

Mar, your post was just a tad harsh....I like to think that for kids who are out of control, there are better methods.
    MarQ-Boogie
    MarQ-Boogie
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male

Post by MarQ-Boogie Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:58 am

It may sound harsh but my aunt told me when I was a little boy, "If we don't beat you now the police will beat you later."

My mama tore my tail up and believe me it taught me to respect her, other adults and authority. She put a fear in me that no gang in America could take from me. When the others kids were acting a fool I had no choice but to act right because I knew if I shamed my mother what I was going to get.

These children are not taught at home, not raised and not given the behind whippin's that they need.

My mother didn't always use the beating to get her point across but she it across and you can tell how good a woman is by the children she raised. My mother told me when I was a child, "I'm not your friend I'm your mother. When you become a man then I can be your friend."

I will admit I couldn't stand my mother growing up but now at 33 I am SO GLAD I had/have the mother I had because if I didn't I'd be a complete mess and no good to this society.

RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:06 am

Well, Mar, you had one thing work for you with a mom you still respect. Dont' get me wrong, I am not a "spare the rod" freak. I just feel that there is more than one way for things to work.

FYI, I am ***cough*** 34, and have a step daughter about to graduate from college. And I have rarely had to be hard on her, there have just been set rules, and she has mostly maintained...and I have been the most stern of her parents that include, of course her bio mom and dad, and her step dad and me

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 5:10 am