CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+5
RedBedroom
Forgiveness Man
Timetrvlr
Supernova
Marc™
9 posters

Should Someone Be Licensed In Order to Teach?

Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Should Someone Be Licensed In Order to Teach? Empty Should Someone Be Licensed In Order to Teach?

Post by Marc™ Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:02 pm

In the public school system, teachers have to be licensed....in private schools, all they need is a bachelors degree. And, hell, I don't know what the criteria is for home schooling. Do you think licenses and degrees matter when it comes to teaching?
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Should Someone Be Licensed In Order to Teach? Empty Re: Should Someone Be Licensed In Order to Teach?

Post by Supernova Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:53 pm

Not really because we've seen for decades that licenses don't matter since a lot of these teachers still don't have one damn clue what they're doing.
    Timetrvlr
    Timetrvlr
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 32

Should Someone Be Licensed In Order to Teach? Empty Re: Should Someone Be Licensed In Order to Teach?

Post by Timetrvlr Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:40 pm

I think teaching is an art form, not a science. The best teachers can captivate and engage their students while contributing enlightenment to the students. So, I believe potential teachers should display an aptitude for entertaining and engaging an audience. If they don't have that essential talent, then they should be encouraged to enter another field.

The other failing are course materials. You ever notice how dry and boring history textbooks are? Yet I've found any number of authors that write very entertaining historical novels. I've learned more history that way than I ever did in school.

Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:25 pm

Screw licenses. They won't make good teachers and will just make it easier for government to control what gets taught.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:21 pm

If public school teachers were not made to be licensed, I shudder to think of what new teachers would be paid.

I admit, I am biased. My stepdaughter is about to graduate with and early ed. degree, hoping to teach first grade. She has worked so hard.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:27 pm

Interesting. Didn't know that. I thought all public & private teachers had to be licensed. And for homeschooling it varies by state. Most only require a HS diploma or equivalent.
    sailorlover
    sailorlover
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 2

Post by sailorlover Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:17 pm

Although we would like to think that because the teacher has a license that would make a good teacher. Unfortunately that is not the case. Some of the best teachers I have had didn't have a license. My mother was a kind. teacher in a private Lutheran church and she had no license or degree. I personally think she did an excellent job. All depends on if your heart is in the job.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:40 am

Licenses should only be required when there is a real danger to the public otherwise. In the case of teachers, the entire college/university gets by without any such licensing and is much superior to our secondary/primary educational system. A review of a teacher's education, experience, etc., etc. is just as likely to pick out a bad seed than the lack of a license.

Licensing is often used as a way to artificially increase wages in a particular field by restricting the number of workers in the field. That is what is happening here, but you're also losing a ton of good teachers too.
    2xy
    2xy
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 22

Post by 2xy Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:13 pm

Licensing helps ensure pay; it doesn't ensure good teaching.

I couldn't care less whether a teacher is licensed. I care whether they can teach. And I think teachers who can't teach should be removed from the system.

I also agree with everything Timetrvlr said:

I think teaching is an art form, not a science. The best teachers can captivate and engage their students while contributing enlightenment to the students. So, I believe potential teachers should display an aptitude for entertaining and engaging an audience. If they don't have that essential talent, then they should be encouraged to enter another field.

The other failing are course materials. You ever notice how dry and boring history textbooks are? Yet I've found any number of authors that write very entertaining historical novels. I've learned more history that way than I ever did in school.

The problem is that many teachers get into teaching for the wrong reasons, and not because they love to teach or are even good at it. My dad was a teacher, and he used to joke that there were three reasons to become a teacher: June, July, and August.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:35 am

CeCe wrote:Interesting. Didn't know that. I thought all public & private teachers had to be licensed. And for homeschooling it varies by state. Most only require a HS diploma or equivalent.

I think what made me look into it was when I thought about those private religious schools, with teaching nuns. I can't help but think some of those women didn't rack up a lot of educational accolades themselves before they were assigned classrooms.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 2:25 pm