CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+28
Supernova
CeCe
GrayWolf
Shale
TPP
Forgiveness Man
stonestatic
FightSleep
Kral
Marc™
Wadsworth
Nystyle709
captainbryce
JM130ELM
Nhaiyel
Dan70
SkwirtB
CatEyes10736
Jason B.
MFD10
RobbieFTW
AtownPeep
JADACITY
Tony Marino
SecHandNews
Impact
kinetic
Chris
32 posters

Circumcision of baby boys: for or against?

Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Circumcision of baby boys: for or against? - Page 2 Empty Re: Circumcision of baby boys: for or against?

Post by Tony Marino Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:23 pm

captainbryce wrote:Completely against it. Sorry to say it but anyone who is for it is ignorant! I'm not cut and I couldn't imagine what jerking off would be like without my foreskin. I'm pretty sure the foreskin is one of the most sensitive parts of the penis as well. But that also makes me biased so I did some research on this before doing a paper about circumcision for my psychology class. The things I learned about circumcision made me sick and totally against it. I actually watched a couple of videos of circumcisions and I regret it. I think it's a violation of human rights to forcibly strap an infant down and cut off his foreskin without his permission and for no medical reason. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Anyone who's ever watched a video of a circumcision before knows how horrible it would be to put their child through that.
    Plus, some of the reasons people use to justify it is so ridiculous. It's "cleaner"? First of all, if you take a shower everyday and wash your junk hygiene isn't really an issue. You brush your teeth everyday, why can't you wash your dick? It takes about 5 seconds! I'm sure your fingers would be "cleaner" if you had your fingernails ripped out at birth too, but is it a good idea? Probably not. And it doesn't make you susseptible to "infections" either. I've never had an infection before! On the other hand my cousin (who is circumcised) has had a urinary tract infection before, and so have two females that I know. Circumcision is pretty dumb! The only reason people do it is for looks, and the only reason people think it looks better is because everyone keeps doing it. It's the gift that keeps on giving. Leave little boy private parts alone! By the way, it's only in the US that people are still doing this. I lived in England for 3 years and realized that nobody over there circumcises their boys (so for the first time I was actually in the majority). Their children also seemed to be perfectly healthy, so why are we still doing it in the US? It makes no sense!

I can't understand it either but is now the American way for most Americans anyway. There are still some here that don't circumcise their boys. As far as looking different, yeah it does but I don't think it looks weird, funny or bad and besides when its erect, it kind of looks like it is circumcised.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Circumcision of baby boys: for or against? - Page 2 Empty Re: Circumcision of baby boys: for or against?

Post by captainbryce Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:34 pm

Tony Marino wrote:I can't understand it either but is now the American way for most Americans anyway. There are still some here that don't circumcise their boys. As far as looking different, yeah it does but I don't think it looks weird, funny or bad and besides when its erect, it kind of looks like it is circumcised.
    Excatly. When the foreskin is pulled back they look pretty much the same, so the whole "looks" argument is pretty stupid too.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:39 pm

I never gave my opinion on this. I wouldn't do it. I'm circumcised and personally am fine with it, but unless there was some pressing recommendation from the doctors, I wouldn't seek out my son to be snipped. If his mother agreed (and I'd think most women are probably willing to let the father have a weighter opinion on this particular issue), then it's settled. I have heard about it being easier to keep clean and whatnot, but if a man is going be so lax with hygiene that his uncut penis stinks, then there are probably other parts of his body that aren't too fresh either.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:28 pm

bump
    JM130ELM
    JM130ELM
    …is Necessary.
    …is Necessary.

Male
    Rep : 32

Post by JM130ELM Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:10 pm

Just read this. Some of the anti-circ people around here not gonna like it, but here's the article.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE7056HB20110106
    Researchers have documented yet another health benefit for circumcision, which can protect men against the AIDS virus, saying it can protect their wives and girlfriends from a virus that causes cervical cancer.

Wives and girlfriends of circumcised men had a 28 percent lower rate of infection over two years with the human papilloma virus or HPV, which causes warts and cervical cancer, they reported in the Lancet medical journal on Thursday.

"Our findings indicate that male circumcision should now be accepted as an efficacious intervention for reducing the prevalence and incidence of HPV infections in female partners. However, protection is only partial; the promotion of safe sex practices is also important," Dr.
    Maria Wawer and colleagues at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore wrote.

Wawer's team piggybacked the HPV study onto a larger study that has shown circumcised men are less likely to be infected with the human immunodeficiency virus that causes AIDS.

"We enrolled HIV-negative men and their female partners between 2003 and 2006, in Rakai, Uganda," they wrote in their report in the Lancet medical journal.

They were able to get details on HPV infections for nearly 1,000 of the women, all identified by men as long-term sex partners such as wives. After two years, 27.8 percent of the steady partners of circumcised men had HPV infections, compared to 38.7 percent of the partners of uncircumcised men.

HPV infection is best known as the primary cause of cervical cancer, but it causes genital warts and can also lead to cancers of the anus, penis, head and neck.

There are dozens of strains of HPV, which are highly contagious and which infect the majority of the population within a few years of beginning sexual activity. Most people clear the virus but in some, it can cause changes that lead to cancer.

Cervical cancer is the second most common cancer in women worldwide and is expected to kill 328,000 this year, mostly in developing countries.

GlaxoSmithKline and Merck make vaccines against HPV but they are not available to most women in developing countries.

Circumcision removes the foreskin of the penis, which is rich in immune system cells targeted by HIV and perhaps other viruses. Taking off the foreskin likely makes the penis less likely to carry a range of microbes, Wawer's team said.

"Male circumcision has now been shown to decrease HIV, herpes simplex virus-2, and HPV infections and genital ulcer disease in men, and also HPV infection, trichomoniasis, and bacterial vaginosis and genital ulcer disease in their female partners," Wawer's team wrote.

"Thus, male circumcision reduces the risk of several sexually transmitted infections in both sexes, and these benefits should guide public health policies for neonatal, adolescent, and adult male circumcision programs."
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by captainbryce Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:00 pm

JM130ELM wrote:Just read this. Some of the anti-circ people around here not gonna like it, but here's the article.
    This certainly wouldn't factor into my decision to have an infant circumcised. The logic of having infant boys circumcised to protect against sexually transmitted diseases is so ridiculous to me that I can't believe people ever bring it up seriously. For one thing, I'm not worried about my little tyke having unprotected sex for quite sometime (hopefully he won't even be having sex within the next 15-20 years). Secondly, the best defense against STD's is condoms and everyone knows this, though people who argue for routine circumcision hardly ever mention it. They act like circumcision is a safety net to allow people to engage in unprotected sex (as if it will prevent them from getting diseases). It's the same nonsense they tried to do by saying that it prevented the spread of HIV. The US is the most circumcised westernized country in the world and has the HIGHEST rate of HIV infection! People really need to stop using this ridiculous logic to justify infant circumcision. Non-elective, medically unnecessary surgery should not be used as preventative maintenance for the results of assumed, hypothetical irresponsible behavior of someone else decades in the future.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:03 pm

I really don't have any strong feelings for it one way or another. IMO, it's a parent's decision and one which either way is fine. Snip or no snip, it's no big deal. I am surprised people really got any strong feelings about what other people choose to do anyway. Do what you want for your kid and let it be that.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by captainbryce Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:51 pm

Forgiveness_Man wrote:I really don't have any strong feelings for it one way or another. IMO, it's a parent's decision and one which either way is fine. Snip or no snip, it's no big deal. I am surprised people really got any strong feelings about what other people choose to do anyway. Do what you want for your kid and let it be that.
    People question the legality of circumcision based on ethical and moral principles. It happens to be very unique as far as medical procedures go. It's the only cosmetic, non theraputic procedure in which a parent is legally allowed to authorize for their child without the child's consent outside of physical deformities and birth defects such as cleft pallet. Genital modification of any kind is completely illegal in the US on girls because the law says that parents (regardless of religion or severity of the procedure) simply don't have that right. And a doctor would never remove an baby's appendix or tonsils using preventative maintenance as a justification because surgery should never be routine, it should only be done when necessary. Circumcision is the only medical procedure which routinely violates a doctors code of ethics to first do no harm and the only one in which boys have less legal rights to bodily integrity than girls.

There are many legal double standards when it comes to infant circumcision which is one of the reasons why people feel so strongly about it. Another reason is the religious aspect. A great fear is invoked among the Jewish and Muslim populations whenever discussion comes around about making it illegal. Bottom line, it's an emotional topic for many who are actually faced with it.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:59 pm

^^^^It's been done successfully for eons. Maybe there is a double standard but in all honesty, I feel it's within a parent's right to do or not do, in infancy anyway. Religious or hygiene, I feel it should be up to the parents given that it doesn't really make a difference one way or another.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by captainbryce Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:18 pm

Forgiveness_Man wrote:^^^^It's been done successfully for eons. Maybe there is a double standard but in all honesty, I feel it's within a parent's right to do or not do, in infancy anyway. Religious or hygiene, I feel it should be up to the parents given that it doesn't really make a difference one way or another.
    Your's is a common belief in the US. I merely contend that it's a belief based on the tradition and popularity of circumcision in the US. People in Europe tend not to feel this way and even though it's legal in most European countries, very few people do it outside of religion or medical reasons. The law currently states that parents have the right to make that choice for their sons. There just happens to be many now who feel that the law is wrong in this case! Parents should NOT have that right unless that right can be justified medically. It can't, and yet circumcision is still not only legal, but commonly done for silly reasons which mostly amount to misconceptions, aesthetics and tradition. The fact that it's been done "successfully" for eons is really besides the point (although that point could easily be debated since "successful" is a very subjective term when it comes to such things). Female circumcision has been done successfuly for eons in the middle east and parts of Africa, but nobody would dare advocate it based on that fact.
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 69

Post by TPP Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:38 pm

None of my boys are cut, for many reasons. The main one is I think they were born perfect and a foreskin is not a birth defect. I would never mutilate my daughter's genitals so even though it's more accepted in our society, I chose not to circumcise my boys either.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:44 pm

captainbryce wrote:
    Marc wrote:I'm circumcised and have no issue with it. Don't think it really it matters all that much one way or another. I see circumcision as more of a "unnecessary, but whatever..." than I do as some kind of grievous injustice that anti-circumcision zealots try to perpetuate. That little bit of extra foreskin around the dickhead is neither sacred or a burden. Leave it alone or snip it. Either way a dick is a dick.
    If it's unnecessary, then why do it? Nobody is saying that the foreskin is "sacred", but the fact is it does serve a purpose. Why would anybody remove part of someone else's body without their consent if it's unnecessary? How is that NOT anything but an injustice? That's just a completely idiotic thing to do. I hear arguments like yours all the time but they never make any sense. "It's not necessary, therefore it doesn't matter one way or the other". That's backwards logic! Something should only be done BECAUSE it's necessary or beneficial in some way! The fact that it's not necessary is reason enough for not doing it (especially if their are risks and drawbacks involved)!
    co-signs
    This thread is exactly a year old and I think we had a similar newer thread on this very topic. But, circ is unnecessary, has some risks (Doesn't happen often but explain that to the few boys who lose their penis) and is "penile mutilation," which should not be done on boys with no consent.

Outside of the religious practice, circumcision in the West came into vogue in the 19th Century during an anti-masturbation hysteria. Intact men find it easier to slide that skin back and forth for masturbation than men without a skin (Y'know why some guys HAVE to use lube).

BTW, a couple of women mentioned they would take the advice of a doctor. Well, doctors subscribe to the same cultural craziness as other ppl and buy the same non-medical myths as others. as late as 1962 an investigation discovered that nearly half of a large group of medical students subscribed to the belief that masturbation frequently causes mental illness. They could probably just as easily justify circ on the basis of cultural "truths."
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:59 pm

JM130ELM wrote:Just read this. Some of the anti-circ people around here not gonna like it, but here's the article.
    I read it. It took me five paragraphs to find what I suspected:
    "We enrolled HIV-negative men and their female partners between 2003 and 2006, in Rakai, Uganda,"
    This study was done in Africa, which has the highest incidence of HIV infection and it is primarily in the heterosexual population. The reasons for that is abject ignorance, traditions (which include witch doctors), some sexual practices such as drying agents in vaginas that cause greater risk of membrane breakage and refusal to use condoms.

In the West, we have running clean water, soap and hopefully enuf awareness of hygiene to put the two together.
    GrayWolf
    GrayWolf
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 36

Post by GrayWolf Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:06 am

I think if they just practiced proper hygiene and safer sex they'd be ok. Like me! smug
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:57 am

@Bryce: My point is that it isn't some procedural with this huge complication rate. If somebody does it for whatever reason, it just doesn't strike me as a problem. IMO, if somebody has issues with circumcision, they should just not do it to their sons, simple as that. If everything a parent did had to be justified to somebody, you'd find a lot of things would be stopped. Religious, aesthetic, or hygiene, it doesn't really matter why it's done. I think in order to tell people to stop something, the burden of justification falls on you instead of telling them that they gotta justify continuing to do it. As of now, the reasons against it seem largely personal.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:25 am

I'm on the anti-circ side of things. Years ago it was standard procedure. But I don't think this is a parental right. It should be the decision of the one in possession of the foreskin. He is the one who should decide whether to have it done or not. It's a personal thing for him & not a choice parents have the right to make for him, especially one so permanent.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by captainbryce Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:17 am

Forgiveness_Man wrote:@Bryce: My point is that it isn't some procedural with this huge complication rate. If somebody does it for whatever reason, it just doesn't strike me as a problem.
    Statistic are only good if you happen to be on the right side of them. For the .5 - 2% of babies who've suffered botched circumcisions which have led to penile amputation or death from loss of blood, that logic is hardly a comfort (particularly given that it was an unnecessary procedure to begin with). My point is that no other such routine surgery would be allowed given those facts, so why is circumcision?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaWiBzZYG9Y&NR=1

Forgiveness_Man wrote:IMO, if somebody has issues with circumcision, they should just not do it to their sons, simple as that. If everything a parent did had to be justified to somebody, you'd find a lot of things would be stopped.
    As they should be. Child abuse is stopped because we have child protective services now. Before then, people could get away with doing anything they wanted to their kids short of killing them. There is no doubt that people who are against circumcision wouldn't do it to their sons, but what they are against is the laws that allow other infant boys to be abused because that's how I see it as. Child abuse! If you thought someone was abusing their children, or that a loophole in the law allows certain forms of child abuse, would you be okay with that? Would you expect someone to tell you to just mind your own business and don't abuse your own child if you're against child abuse? No. You'd lobby to have the law changed in order to protect children. It's no different with people who are against circumcision.

Forgiveness_Man wrote:Religious, aesthetic, or hygiene, it doesn't really matter why it's done. I think in order to tell people to stop something, the burden of justification falls on you instead of telling them that they gotta justify continuing to do it. As of now, the reasons against it seem largely personal.
    That's just how it "seems" because its been a traditional custom for so long allowed by law. In the south in the early 1800's, the decision whether or not to own a slave was merely personal (as it was allowed by law). That didn't make it a moral or ethical thing to do. Right now, the law allows you to take advantage of that. The anti circumcision people are lobbying to change that on the grounds that it's unethical. The reasons against it are clear and justifications for stopping it have already been made. The only justification people have for doing it is because it is legal and they are allowed to do it. That's not good enough because that is inconsistent with medical ethics! It's a simple as that.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:20 am

If people do have a problem with circumcision, they are not required to pursue it. That's the point.

Well I think they really don't have any ground to see it as child abuse at all. Sometimes interfering with other parents' parenting is not protecting a child from abuse but imposing your views on those parents. IMO, it's a dangerous line to call circumcision child abuse.

I feel people do it for many valid reasons, just as they have valid reasons for not doing it.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by captainbryce Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:59 pm

Forgiveness_Man wrote:If people do have a problem with circumcision, they are not required to pursue it. That's the point.

Well I think they really don't have any ground to see it as child abuse at all. Sometimes interfering with other parents' parenting is not protecting a child from abuse but imposing your views on those parents. IMO, it's a dangerous line to call circumcision child abuse.

I feel people do it for many valid reasons, just as they have valid reasons for not doing it.
    Why is it "dangerous" to consider routine infant circumcision abuse? According to medical ethics, there is only one justification for performing surgery on someone incapable of granting consent, medical necessity! Male neonatal cIrcumcision is the only exception to that principle. Why?
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:35 am

^^^^Because it is government telling parents what they can and cannot do. When you try and blur the line of what is within a parent's right, you start making it so laws can be made to stop them from doing anything somebody else doesn't like, even if it doesn't hurt the child at all. Many of the very things we've discussed on this board that parents should have a right to do could easily be taken away cause some busybodies got too much time on their hands.

Parents do plenty to their children that isn't a necessity. Unless it's outright abuse, it shouldn't labeled as such. And there's really no cause to call circumcision outright abuse. Millions of children are circumcised and lead happy, healthy, and safe, non-abusive lives. Discourage the procedure with the anomalies that were botched if you want, but some busy-body can always throw statistics around too. It's one thing to be against the procedure and want to discourage it; it's another to outright try to make it illegal. There's just no justification for it.
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by TPP Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:21 pm

Forgiveness_Man wrote:If people do have a problem with circumcision, they are not required to pursue it. That's the point.

Do you feel the same way about female circumcision? Recently the AAP stated that they would allow female circumcision in order to be more culturally sensitive...The outcry was so loud that they reversed that standing.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by captainbryce Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:39 pm

Forgiveness_Man wrote:^^^^Because it is government telling parents what they can and cannot do. When you try and blur the line of what is within a parent's right, you start making it so laws can be made to stop them from doing anything somebody else doesn't like, even if it doesn't hurt the child at all.
    A) Circumcision DOES hurt the child. B) The government tells parents that they cannot "shake their baby" (it's considered child abuse). Do you think the law should say that it's okay for parents to shake their baby to get them to act right? The government says that children must be taught in school or be home schooled. The government creates laws that supercede the right of the parents in order to protect children. I don't see why circumcision is different.

Forgiveness_Man wrote:Many of the very things we've discussed on this board that parents should have a right to do could easily be taken away cause some busybodies got too much time on their hands.
    Such as? confused

Forgiveness_Man wrote:Parents do plenty to their children that isn't a necessity. Unless it's outright abuse, it shouldn't labeled as such. And there's really no cause to call circumcision outright abuse. Millions of children are circumcised and lead happy, healthy, and safe, non-abusive lives.
    Millions of children are sexually molested at some point in their childhood as well. They often go on to lead happy, healthy lives as well but that doesn't mean they should have been molested! Just because millions of baby boys have been circumcised doesn't mean that it's right just because you think they're all "happy" about it (they aren't by the way). Just because you are circumcised and "don't mind" doesn't mean that it is something that should have been forced on you as an infant. Circumcision IS abused because it is parents abusing their authority to force a painful medical procedure on someone else without necessity or consent. I don't see how it could be viewed as anything but abuse!

Forgiveness_Man wrote:Discourage the procedure with the anomalies that were botched if you want, but some busy-body can always throw statistics around too. It's one thing to be against the procedure and want to discourage it; it's another to outright try to make it illegal. There's just no justification for it.
    There is a justification for it (which have been explained several times already), you just can't see them. In this, we'll have to agree to disagree. I'm merely explaining to you WHY others have an invested interest in stopping it. Whether you agree with them or not is entirely up to you, but you can't justify any type of abuse and as long as more and more people are beginning to see circumcision as abuse, this isn't going to go away anytime soon. Every citizen has the duty of stopping abuse when they see it and if you recognize routine neonatal circumcision as a form of abuse, you should lobby to stop it.

If you are defending the right of parents to do this to their children because you don't see it as abuse, then YOU should justify why it's NOT abuse. I can give you many reasons why it is. But saying that they usually grow up happy and healthy (forgetting the fact that it's speculartory) doesn't mean that they were not abused! Not all victims of abuse demonstrate adverse effects in the same way. As a psychology student you should know that.

OT: Coincedentally, last year I actually did a report on routine circumcision in the US for my psychology class and what I considered to be all of the flaws of it while citing numerous sources, data from experts in several fields, research and statistics backing up my position. I got an A! And I ended up saving the report and the data big grin
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by captainbryce Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:48 pm

thepossiblepolice wrote:
    Do you feel the same way about female circumcision? Recently the AAP stated that they would allow female circumcision in order to be more culturally sensitive...The outcry was so loud that they reversed that standing.
    I will be so bold enough to answer that for him. Of course he doesn't! Nobody in the US supports female circumcision which pretty much makes any supporter of routine male circumcision a hypocrite! Now the tired argument in their defense will be the obligatory "but they're not the same thing because female circumcision is so much worse" defense. But there is no logic in that argument at all because the issue isn't whether one is more severe or not, the issue is the right of the parents vs the right of the child.

There are no legitimate arguments to support a right of parents and doctors to circumcise newborn males outside of medical necessity based on what is known about medical ethics. And if circumcision is indeed abuse, then not even religion should be able to be used as a defense to support it. Any female genital modification on an infant is ALWAYS viewed as abuse in this country (regardless of severity) and not even religion can be used as a defense to support it. Even a pin prick is outlawed on a baby girl. Boys are not so protected by the law (regardless of the severity of the procedure). So it's a hypocrasy and a contradiction that can't be answered by any supporter of routine male circumcision. The real reason (and only reason) anyone would defend it is either because they are ignorant of the facts, or they prefer it'd be done out for religious reasons, family tradition or aesthetics (which are all reasons that should not ethically justify forced surgery on someone else).
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:32 pm

thepossiblepolice wrote:

captainbryce wrote: I will be so bold enough to answer that for him. Of course he doesn't! Nobody in the US supports female circumcision which pretty much makes any supporter of routine male circumcision a hypocrite! Now the tired argument in their defense will be the obligatory "but they're not the same thing because female circumcision is so much worse" defense. But there is no logic in that argument at all because the issue isn't whether one is more severe or not, the issue is the right of the parents vs the right of the child....

Actually there is logic in separating so-called "female circumcision" from male circumcision. What is called "female circumcision" is a misnomer, or euphemism that is an outright lie. If it were truthfully named it is called CLITORIDECTOMY and if the same procedure were done on a male it would be called PENECTOMY.

The only similarity between clitoridectomy and male circumcision is that both procedures are done for some ridiculous archaic religious teaching, with the plight of the women in backward male-centric cultures much worse with the intentional removal of any physical sexual pleasure. And likewise, in our non-religious circumcisions done for "hygiene" reasons, the original intent was to discourage easy masturbation in our sex-negative puritan culture.

I have been fighting with news media on this for years and berate the local journalists as well as the AP medical writers who should know better. Euphemising such brutal mutilation of women as if it were just cutting away a little skin is a disservice of any journalist, and some have finally been calling it what it is.

TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by TPP Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:58 pm

Shale wrote:
    thepossiblepolice wrote:

captainbryce wrote: I will be so bold enough to answer that for him. Of course he doesn't! Nobody in the US supports female circumcision which pretty much makes any supporter of routine male circumcision a hypocrite! Now the tired argument in their defense will be the obligatory "but they're not the same thing because female circumcision is so much worse" defense. But there is no logic in that argument at all because the issue isn't whether one is more severe or not, the issue is the right of the parents vs the right of the child....

Actually there is logic in separating so-called "female circumcision" from male circumcision. What is called "female circumcision" is a misnomer, or euphemism that is an outright lie. If it were truthfully named it is called CLITORIDECTOMY and if the same procedure were done on a male it would be called PENECTOMY.

The only similarity between clitoridectomy and male circumcision is that both procedures are done for some ridiculous archaic religious teaching, with the plight of the women in backward male-centric cultures much worse with the intentional removal of any physical sexual pleasure. And likewise, in our non-religious circumcisions done for "hygiene" reasons, the original intent was to discourage easy masturbation in our sex-negative puritan culture.

I have been fighting with news media on this for years and berate the local journalists as well as the AP medical writers who should know better. Euphemising such brutal mutilation of women as if it were just cutting away a little skin is a disservice of any journalist, and some have finally been calling it what it is.

That depends...I totally agree with what you're saying for the most part, but what the AAP was approving was a "ceremonial nick"
    http://bigthink.com/ideas/20004

I actually know women who are Muslim and circumcised and when I did more research about it I found out that it's practiced WAY more than I thought it was. The kind you're talking about is the kind that makes the news and is HORRIBLE and the same as cutting off the glans of a penis.

from WHO:
    Female genital mutilation is classified into four major types.

Clitoridectomy: partial or total removal of the clitoris (a small, sensitive and erectile part of the female genitals) and, in very rare cases, only the prepuce (the fold of skin surrounding the clitoris).
    Excision: partial or total removal of the clitoris and the labia minora, with or without excision of the labia majora (the labia are "the lips" that surround the vagina).
    Infibulation: narrowing of the vaginal opening through the creation of a covering seal. The seal is formed by cutting and repositioning the inner, or outer, labia, with or without removal of the clitoris.
    Other: all other harmful procedures to the female genitalia for non-medical purposes, e.g. pricking, piercing, incising, scraping and cauterizing the genital area.

My friend who is NOT cut but whose friends are, actually says she wishes she were cut because she's more "prone to emotion" and all of her friends who are cut have better self control...Nice, right?

I personally think that we are just as brainwashed into thinking that male genital mutilation is fine and normal or even beneficial as my friend is about FGM. Of course there are less harmful and more harmful forms of it, but any time that a perfectly normal part of a child's body is cut off for no good reason is one too many times, in my opinion.

Also, I know this is not the norm, but my cousin's circ was botched and he had to have several surgeries to try to repair it, and for what? He's not Jewish, there are no consistently proven medical benefits, and he didn't have a birth defect that required it. His parents just did it because that's what people in our family did. Until then...I don't think ANY boys born since he was born in our family have been cut. I know it's rare, but complications do occur, and even deaths occur, from what basically equates to a nose job or a boob job, only the infant doesn't get the choice. Just because we're better at doing it and preventing infections, that doesn't mean that it isn't intrinsically wrong, the same way that FGM is.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 6:23 pm