CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

2 posters

If you learned a second language as an adult...

Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

If you learned a second language as an adult... Empty If you learned a second language as an adult...

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:35 am

...how did you do it? Did you buy a CD/tape? Take a class at a community college?
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 62

If you learned a second language as an adult... Empty Re: If you learned a second language as an adult...

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:01 am

I worked my ass off. You need to get a series (a SERIES) of really good text books and spend at least a year drilling yourself with vocabulary. And then, you need to immerse yourself in the language by spending time there.

Just beware that in the process you'll destroy your knack for either languages in order to be able to think back and forth between them. There was a time when my English turned total crap (and I consider my English to be very solid), and there was a time when my German turned total crap. But after essentially breaking them both down, I was able to flip the switch, and now I can hold a conversation in English while reading my books in German or vice versa.

Also:

MUSIC! MUSIC MUSIC MUSIC! You get great vocabulary and expressions that way.

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 7:26 am